Wall mounting LCD.. What to do with the H20?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
One of my projects for the week off is to mount my 32" LCD HDTV.. but what do I do with the H20? Where do I put it? It's a 2nd floor mount, so putting it in the basement is not an option, and I really do not want to put it in the attic as it gets hot... Also, the RF does not work on the H20 (I could swap in my HR20, but still that RF only works sometimes)...

One thought is to run the HDMI down, inside the wall, get an HDMI plate, put it next to the cable plate, run the cable into the H20 and the hdmi into the plate, then the in-wall hdmi (I know you need special wire) to the TV..

Also, I have a downstairs tv I want to mount too, but again, the basement is not desirable. A bookshelf (built in) 10 ft away is, but with all the duct work, it may be impossible to do.

Do wall mounts exist that have a "shelf" for the receiver? That would be ideal.... I'd prefer to not have a table under the tv, as that does kind of defeat the purpose of hanging the thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

One of my projects for the week off is to mount my 32" LCD HDTV.. but what do I do with the H20? Where do I put it? It's a 2nd floor mount, so putting it in the basement is not an option, and I really do not want to put it in the attic as it gets hot... Also, the RF does not work on the H20 (I could swap in my HR20, but still that RF only works sometimes)...

One thought is to run the HDMI down, inside the wall, get an HDMI plate, put it next to the cable plate, run the cable into the H20 and the hdmi into the plate, then the in-wall hdmi (I know you need special wire) to the TV..

Also, I have a downstairs tv I want to mount too, but again, the basement is not desirable. A bookshelf (built in) 10 ft away is, but with all the duct work, it may be impossible to do.

Do wall mounts exist that have a "shelf" for the receiver? That would be ideal.... I'd prefer to not have a table under the tv, as that does kind of defeat the purpose of hanging the thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a bookcase in the area ?

Jimbo

btw, don't do like some do ....
Don't place your TV over a fireplace.

Very bad idea, bad on electronics and will shorten your TV's lifespan.

Jimbo

You can put a glass shelve under your mounted lcd. How far under you put it is up to you. I put it about 3 ft. under mine. I too was worried about the wires and cables. I went to Home Depot and they have a strip that will hide the wires on the wall. The good thing about the strip is that you can paint it to match your wall color.

You can put a glass shelve under your mounted lcd. How far under you put it is up to you. I put it about 3 ft. under mine. I too was worried about the wires and cables. I went to Home Depot and they have a strip that will hide the wires on the wall. The good thing about the strip is that you can paint it to match your wall color.

This is a good idea (the shelf).

Didn't you fish the wall several feet and bring the wires out below for the other end of the connection ?

This is a good idea (the shelf).

Didn't you fish the wall several feet and bring the wires out below for the other end of the connection ?

No. The you hide the wires with the strip (not sure the name of it). It goes from the box to the tv. Hides all of the wires.

Edit: Name of the strip is Levelmount wire management system. Like I said, you can find it at Home Depot.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I like the Shelf idea. 3 feet under the tv.. wouldn't that almost be on the ground? I intend on hanging the tv's center at eye level when sitting.... that seems to be the recommendation I read most places.

Definitely NOT putting it on the fireplace.. don't worry about that.

Now for the shelf... couldn't I just fish the wires down to the shelf and forget the mgmt system? I mean I have to fish up a power wire anyway, along with the coax ... may as well do the job rght?

Thanks guys. I like the Shelf idea. 3 feet under the tv.. wouldn't that almost be on the ground? I intend on hanging the tv's center at eye level when sitting.... that seems to be the recommendation I read most places.

Definitely NOT putting it on the fireplace.. don't worry about that.

Now for the shelf... couldn't I just fish the wires down to the shelf and forget the mgmt system? I mean I have to fish up a power wire anyway, along with the coax ... may as well do the job rght?

I have a full motion mount. That is why mine sits a little higher. I would at least get a tilt and swivel mount so you do not lose any picture when sitting off center You can fish through the wall. It will hide everything. I used the strip for a little decoration.

You are correct, your TV should be at eye level when sitting down your eyes should be at the middle of the screen.

If you get a movable mount, they tip up and down as well as side to side, they are very nice, many out there, if you can afford it, that would be the way to go.

Wouldn't that be almost on the ground ?
Why are you mounting it on a wall, why not place it on an entertainment stand, use the stand the TV comes with and save the $3-500 on the wall mount.

Jimbo

You are correct, your TV should be at eye level when sitting down your eyes should be at the middle of the screen.

If you get a movable mount, they tip up and down as well as side to side, they are very nice, many out there, if you can afford it, that would be the way to go.

Wouldn't that be almost on the ground ?
Why are you mounting it on a wall, why not place it on an entertainment stand, use the stand the TV comes with and save the $3-500 on the wall mount.

Jimbo

Room space.

I have a 2 yr old. That space where the rear projection sits right now, and a stand would sit (when I get an LCD down there) if I put it on a stand can be much better used for her toys :)

And a stand probably costs as much as a tilt mount... if not more. Now those moveable ones are expensive..

I have the LCD in my office (42") on a stand since it's a "bonus room" with slanted ceiling and only about 4 feet of vertical wall, and plenty of other desktop space for it to sit.. So I am not opposed to a stand, but in the family room it would open up so much more room if I mounted the thing.

Now if I could only get the wire to the build in bookshelf on the right.. (a lot of duct work down there, and not much space to run the wires up by it... )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)