Wall Street notices D* losing HDTV battle

Status
Please reply by conversation.
charper1 said:
Whew, and I thought I was missing something important. LOL lets all go in a circle. They should change the format; I am not a fan but I would be more interested if, lets say they have 20 events, 2 or 3 are now road and the rest are oval. They need to REVERSE that. Road tracks are REAL driving & skill.

lets all go in a circle.
Ya know charper, I said the same thing awile back,could not understand the attraction, my buddy would waatch every race, He said come on over and watch a few, so I did ...

And have been wacthing for the last 15 years now.... Once you take the time to understand what is going on and know some drivers, you'll be hooked too !!!

Nascar is the most approachable sports figures there are ( possibly outside of Hockey players), another sport that is awesome , if you take the time to understand it --- The fastest game on ice ...

Jimbo

I want more content, pure and simple. If I still want my sunday ticket, I'll just suspend my account for my "RV traveling" during the off season.

The new dish VIP (622) looks VERY appealing.

charper1 said:
Now I have seen Voom and it does not impress me past that fact of having EXTRA HD channels; similar to cinemax, mtv, outdoor life. Now Starz does intrigue me as well as a few of the cable exclusives that DBS can't get yet.
Tell you the truth....the Voom ch's don't really impress me either. There are alot of movies and shows they show over and over again. The Voom ch's that I missed dearly when Voom went under were MonstersHD and Rave. I can't get enough of the horror and monster movies. My son watches a couple of shows on AnimaniaHD and I watch concerts on Rave. But I tell you Monsters is my favorite HD ch out of all of them. Monsters, TNTHD, HDNET and Movies, ESPN, and DIscoveryHD make the pack worth it for me. No matter how many times I see the original Halloween and Friday the 13th movies.....I always want more. I could watch those movies over and over again.

Jimbos said:
lets all go in a circle.
Ya know charper, I said the same thing awile back,could not understand the attraction, my buddy would waatch every race, He said come on over and watch a few, so I did ...
And have been wacthing for the last 15 years now.... Once you take the time to understand what is going on and know some drivers, you'll be hooked too !!!
Nascar is the most approachable sports figures there are ( possibly outside of Hockey players), another sport that is awesome , if you take the time to understand it --- The fastest game on ice ...
Jimbo

Yeah, just before I got out of the service, my last NCOIC was/is a huge fan. He was collecting the cards, & cars & what not, years before it got to be what it is today. I went over to his house one Sunday & have been pretty much hooked ever since. That was about 8 years ago. I hate Jeff Gordon :D

wolfman said:
Hopefully D* will stay away from Voom channels. The idea is to get worthwhile HD channels, not that Voom garbage.

Ohh, lemmesee...

Apparently plenty of us - you know, subscribers, who pay for it - think quite differently than you.
Also apparently DirecTV think the same way as you do - and losing customers, gets downgraded on the Wall Street...

So who's right and who's talking BS out of his @ss? :devil:

cant we all just get along.

dish owns the voom channels, rupert is NOT going to buy programming off of ergen. aint gonna happen.

directv didnt blast the spaceway twins up there for nothing. NO ONE knows for sure how they are going to use them. PERIOD.

i have seen on here that ergen is going 48 locals HD within 2 months, exactly WHERE is he getting this capacity??? he cant even broadcast that voom garbage the right way, according to all of you.

AGAIN....SD pays the bills and will continue to do so for at least 3 more years.

ive heard that sunday ticket is done , so give us this or that. ok what happens in august??? they will take it right back off of you! and you will all scream bloody murder. well we had it our way and now they are taking it back to give it to the sunday ticket subs, lets all sue!!

I enjoy Nascar for one reason, the drone of the engines is good sunday afternoon sleeping music.

I want TNTHD for the some of the original series, I am really enjoying The Closer - and would love to see it in HD (as it is availible in HD)

dragon002 said:
i have seen on here that ergen is going 48 locals HD within 2 months, exactly WHERE is he getting this capacity??? he cant even broadcast that voom garbage the right way, according to all of you.

I believe that E* purchased the voom satellite.

fkostyn said:
I believe that E* purchased the voom satellite.

and you all say VOOM is not being broadcast correctly, so?

do you believe the rest of the locals will?

and he did not buy the satellite! he bought the rights on that sat that they leased, their own satellite never made it off the ground.

Last edited:
syphix said:
DirecTV is realizing that this is not a sprint, but a marathon. Unless something amazing has happened that I haven't read about, Charlie & E* have no longterm plan for additional bandwidth to provide the HD services that D* will be able to provide.

Businesses these large shouldn't be looking short term. E* is simply getting a shot in the arm. But what are they going to do once D* is broadcasting 1500 locals in HD, and 100 nationals in HD??

BTW, it's "losing" not "loosing"...
I think that 1500 + 100 = 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS AND FOX)

syphix said:
DirecTV is realizing that this is not a sprint, but a marathon. Unless something amazing has happened that I haven't read about, Charlie & E* have no longterm plan for additional bandwidth to provide the HD services that D* will be able to provide.

Businesses these large shouldn't be looking short term. E* is simply getting a shot in the arm. But what are they going to do once D* is broadcasting 1500 locals in HD, and 100 nationals in HD??

BTW, it's "losing" not "loosing"...
Your observations make the most sense and exclude emotional bantor. I'd be a heck of alot more worried about being an E* customer than a D* customer right now - no tangible E* game plan, and the only hope for funding is a $1 Billion debt offering with no guarantee of success. On top of that, that amount won't give them what they need to expand their bandwidth to compete with cable or D*.

Satmeister said:
Your observations make the most sense and exclude emotional bantor. I'd be a heck of alot more worried about being an E* customer than a D* customer right now - no tangible E* game plan, and the only hope for funding is a $1 Billion debt offering with no guarantee of success. On top of that, that amount won't give them what they need to expand their bandwidth to compete with cable or D*.

I believe that the $1B is mainly to refiance existing debt at a lower interest rate with some used toe other activites.

I'm a bit confused about your "I'd be a heck of alot more worried about being an E* customer than a D* customer right now - no tangible E* game plan" statement. Until a couple of weeks ago I'd agree but at CES, E* announced new LIL-HD service starting soon, additional Voom HD channels and new national HD channels, all in 2006. They also announced new MPEG4 STB's, both DVR and non-DVR with the non-DVR available now and the DVR available in a few months. How is this much different then what D* has announced?

For 2006 IMHO I think E* has the lead since they'll have more national HD channels and just about equal on the LIL-HD front. Now for 2007 that could swing either way. D* has D10 and D11 going up, but any problems with those two satellites could really screw up D*'s plans. Look how long it took SW1 to start actually providing service, it was 5 months late and SW2 still isn't in service, still testing. For E*, Charlie could just go out and lease more space to make up what he needs or just cherry pick what markets that LIL-HD makes the mose sense (aka money) in and not worry about nationwide coverage.

rad said:
I'm a bit confused about your "I'd be a heck of alot more worried about being an E* customer than a D* customer right now - no tangible E* game plan" statement. Until a couple of weeks ago I'd agree but at CES, E* announced new LIL-HD service starting soon, additional Voom HD channels and new national HD channels, all in 2006.
What they DIDN'T ANNOUNCE IS HOW they would accomplish those things. Certainly not with their existing fleet of sats (or 1 more they announced recently). There's a reason why they joined the world of "HDLite" - insufficient capacity. For a company that's so tight they're dickering over "the "Lifetime" Channel fee, what makes anyone believe they have access to or are willing to spend the many $ Billions it takes to compete the next 1-3 years? :confused:

D* has announced and been following their plans, and has been spending big $$$. Cable seems to be on their foo-foo fiber-kick, and running that race thanks to the many folks over-paying for their poor services - but it's years away from a reality nationally. E* has no real "plan". It takes money to execute a plan. Ebenezer Charlie sure isn't coughing up the dough! :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)