Wally and Hopper Duo on Same Dish

You need to use a DPP lnbf with a 42 switch and since the one you have now is a slimline, it takes a different bracket to mount it to the feed arm
Ok well my channel stack splitter comes today so I’ll give that a try first and if no go on that I’ll swap out the lnb. I’m on the eastern ark currently and am on I think 61.5 and 72. I assume there’s an eastern ark specific dpp lnb? If so with this satellite setup would it only need 2 runs from the lnb to the 42 switch since it’s only hitting two satellites?

Also just to make sure I did try the wally on Port 2 and the Hopper w/ sling on Port 1 and the wally definitely complained. I have little real hope that the channel stack splitter will work but for the price it's worth a shot compared to getting a new lnb and 42 swich.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I didn't know that, about Wallys in DPH mode. I thought they were purely DPP tech receivers
They work with a DPP feed but DPH is used for channel splitting to get up to 16 running off of each DPH42 port, if you could toggle the mode it was in then that would be great but as it stands it will always default to DPH mode when on a DPH42/DPH LNB.

I assume there’s an eastern ark specific dpp lnb?
Yep, look up DPP Twin EA, just make sure its the one with 3 outputs.
If so with this satellite setup would it only need 2 runs from the lnb to the 42 switch since it’s only hitting two satellites?
Correct.
I have little real hope that the channel stack splitter will work but for the price it's worth a shot compared to getting a new lnb and 42 swich.
There is a decent chance for the splitter to work with the Hopper Duo we previously thought you were using since both it and the Wally are channel stacking capable, but the Hopper Sling is a DPX receiver and the DPH LNB automatically switches to that mode when one is connected, I'm almost sure the splitter wont work.

The Hopper Duo was introduced in 2018, so not exactly "ancient". The Hopper 3 was introduced 2016.
The original Hopper was introduced in 2012, so this is the tenth year we have had Hoppers. I had that one and the 2nd one and still have my Hopper 3 that I use just for ota since I don't subscribe to DISH any longer.

Yep, look up DPP Twin EA, just make sure its the one with 3 outputs.

Correct.

There is a decent chance for the splitter to work with the Hopper Duo we previously thought you were using since both it and the Wally are channel stacking capable, but the Hopper Sling is a DPX receiver and the DPH LNB automatically switches to that mode when one is connected, I'm almost sure the splitter wont work.
Yea it stopped working when I connected my Wally up to it.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to just put a second dish up. I'd honestly just use my playmaker for the Wally at my house but it seems like the cable length is a problem when using the house wiring plus plus getting it into a position where it can hit the hybrid arc. It works fine if I stick it in the front yard and run the wire through the window but not when I connect it to the wiring that runs through the house. The house wiring works fine though if I connect it to the wally to port 1 on the existing lnb directly though so I think the house wiring is fine just too long for the playmaker (I think they recommend staying under 50ft).

I wonder if it would be cheaper to just put a second dish up. I'd honestly just use my playmaker for the Wally at my house but it seems like the cable length is a problem when using the house wiring plus plus getting it into a position where it can hit the hybrid arc. It works fine if I stick it in the front yard and run the wire through the window but not when I connect it to the wiring that runs through the house. The house wiring works fine though if I connect it to the wally to port 1 on the existing lnb directly though so I think the house wiring is fine just too long for the playmaker (I think they recommend staying under 50ft).
Buying a second dish would be about as expensive as putting the DPH42 up, unless you can get one cheap on eBay (YMMV on shipping because the reflective part of the dish is quite bulky) or a used one from a garage sale/old house etc., not to mention the effort of setting it up and aligning it. Doing the DPP LNB and a Solo Node instead of the DPH + Solo Hub could also be an option.

Buying a second dish would be about as expensive as putting the DPH42 up, unless you can get one cheap on eBay (YMMV on shipping because the reflective part of the dish is quite bulky) or a used one from a garage sale/old house etc., not to mention the effort of setting it up and aligning it. Doing the DPP LNB and a Solo Node instead of the DPH + Solo Hub could also be an option.
One more question on this. If I go the dpp plus a dph42 do I need the power inserter for the dph42? I've seen it sold both ways.

One more question on this. If I go the dpp plus a dph42 do I need the power inserter for the dph42? I've seen it sold both ways.
Yes, the power inserter is necessary. It may work without it, but with a high chance of damaging the receivers over time since the switch would try to draw all its power from them alone and the receivers aren’t designed to power both an LNB and switch from its satellite inputs. Another thing to keep in mind is that the inserter needs to be on output #1 on the switch, and it has a pass though port for signal that will work with either the Hopper or Wally you are trying to use. So you would install it right behind one of the receivers, connect it to power and the pass through port to the receiver with a short coax cable, then the “To switch” port goes to output #1 on the switch. The other receiver just needs a straight run from port #2.

Yes, the power inserter is necessary. It may work without it, but with a high chance of damaging the receivers over time since the switch would try to draw all its power from them alone and the receivers aren’t designed to power both an LNB and switch from its satellite inputs. Another thing to keep in mind is that the inserter needs to be on output #1 on the switch, and it has a pass though port for signal that will work with either the Hopper or Wally you are trying to use. So you would install it right behind one of the receivers, connect it to power and the pass through port to the receiver with a short coax cable, then the “To switch” port goes to output #1 on the switch. The other receiver just needs a straight run from port #2.
I found a cheap lnb on ebay but wanted to make sure it’s the right one.

The listing is for a “Dish Network LNB 1000.2 DPP Twin Eastern LNBF Pro Plus EA Arc 72 61.5 Satellite”

This pretty closely matched my current lnb other than it being a dpp instead of hybrid. It has 3 outputs on it in the pictures but I assume I would just use port 1/2 is that correct? Solid signal has one as well but it is setup for 61.5, 72, and 77. I am currently only using 62.5 and 72 so not sure I need the triple lnb setup.

I found a cheap lnb on ebay but wanted to make sure it’s the right one.

The listing is for a “Dish Network LNB 1000.2 DPP Twin Eastern LNBF Pro Plus EA Arc 72 61.5 Satellite”

This pretty closely matched my current lnb other than it being a dpp instead of hybrid. It has 3 outputs on it in the pictures but I assume I would just use port 1/2 is that correct? Solid signal has one as well but it is setup for 61.5, 72, and 77. I am currently only using 62.5 and 72 so not sure I need the triple lnb setup.
Yes, that listing is the correct LNBF. And yes, you only need to connect port 1/2 on the LNB to port 1/2 on the switch. As for the 61.5/72.7/77 LNBF, that is for a 1000.4 satellite dish (you should have a 1000.2). It doesn’t matter either way because as of a few months ago Dish discontinued usage of 77 so all you need is 61.5/72.7.

Yes, that listing is the correct LNBF. And yes, you only need to connect port 1/2 on the LNB to port 1/2 on the switch. As for the 61.5/72.7/77 LNBF, that is for a 1000.4 satellite dish (you should have a 1000.2). It doesn’t matter either way because as of a few months ago Dish discontinued usage of 77 so all you need is 61.5/72.7.
Awesome, thanks. I think I’ll keep my hybrid lnb and use it to repurpose an old dish I have in my shed from the last time I had dish network (it looks to be a 1000.2 dish as well) and build myself a portable eastern ark dish on a tripod for situations where my playmaker can’t get a good view of the western arc. I in theory can run multiple Wally’s off of that hybrid lnb can’t I using that channel stack splitter I bought?

Reactions: HipKat
I in theory can run multiple Wally’s off of that hybrid lnb can’t I using that channel stack splitter I bought?
In theory, yes. I have not tried splitters out directly from a Hybrid LNB nor have I have heard anyone doing something like that, but given that the LNB and DPH42 produce the same Hybrid signal output over the same signal frequency, it should work. If it doesn’t then that would be a software limitation. If you have another Wally you can test with (if you can borrow one instead of buying it that would be ideal) and let us know how it goes that would be appreciated.

BTW, this old satellite dish that you mentioned, does it not have a LNB attached? If it’s old enough you might already have a DPP LNB ready to go.

In theory, yes. I have not tried splitters out directly from a Hybrid LNB nor have I have heard anyone doing something like that, but given that the LNB and DPH42 produce the same Hybrid signal output over the same signal frequency, it should work. If it doesn’t then that would be a software limitation. If you have another Wally you can test with (if you can borrow one instead of buying it that would be ideal) and let us know how it goes that would be appreciated.

BTW, this old satellite dish that you mentioned, does it not have a LNB attached? If it’s old enough you might already have a DPP LNB ready to go.
No I had to send the lnb back when I canceled dish last time. So it’s just the dish and an lnb bracket but that and a cheap tripod and the lnb from my current dish should make a nice little portable setup. If I can run multiple Wally’s off of it that would be pretty cool. I saw that dish outdoors has them for $20 $59.99 with a $40 off coupon code right now with a minimum order. Might buy another Wally and a WiFi adapter or something to get my total high enough.

So just fyi for anyone reading this. I was able to connect my new dph42 to my hybrid slim eastern arc lnb and am currently using both the Wally and hopper w/sling without issue. I will likely still swap out the lnb to the dpp lnb simply because I want to build a fully capable portable manually pointed dish that I can stick on a tripod but for the most part I am up and running.

You can run both from a DPH LNB, no switch. Hopper Duo should be connected to port one, running to a solo hybrid hub. Port two should run to a ground block, then directly to the Wally. No need for any weird setups.

So just fyi for anyone reading this. I was able to connect my new dph42 to my hybrid slim eastern arc lnb and am currently using both the Wally and hopper w/sling without issue. I will likely still swap out the lnb to the dpp lnb simply because I want to build a fully capable portable manually pointed dish that I can stick on a tripod but for the most part I am up and running.
I don't know how that is working.. DPH42 switches are meant to take in one DPP Feed per orbital, and output 2 hybrid feeds. I would remove the switch, and just run it without it.

I don't know how that is working.. DPH42 switches are meant to take in one DPP Feed per orbital, and output 2 hybrid feeds. I would remove the switch, and just run it without it.
It’s a hopper w/sling bot a duo. I used the wrong name. That might be why it works. I tried to run the Wally off port 2 and it says it’s on the wrong port. Works fine with port 1&2 plugged into either a hybrid lnb or a dpp lnb into the dph42.

It’s a hopper w/sling bot a duo. I used the wrong name. That might be why it works. I tried to run the Wally off port 2 and it says it’s on the wrong port. Works fine with port 1&2 plugged into either a hybrid lnb or a dpp lnb into the dph42.
Still doesn't seem like it should work, but maybe there is a strange compatibility with them I didn't know about. Wally shouldn't be picky about the port, so that seems strange to me, but if you have issues with the switch ever, which I think you might, try to hook the Wally to port one on the LNBF and the Hopper with Sling to port two, the Hopper with Sling is intended to work on either hybrid port, due to multi-hopper installations.

I just got a dpp lnb that I’m going to swap out for the hybrid lnb and then run that to the dph42. I want to use the hybrid lnb for my portable rv dish I’ve cobbled together. I have a playmaker but it’s not great for eastern arc so I’ll have this as a backup.