Wally DVR fee

... I also said that they should let us buy our joeys and then NO monthly fee like Tivo does with their system. I think more people would do that just to have reliable sat tv in each room .

I believe the difference is that Dish has to pay the program content owners a piece of the action for every receiver (Joey, etc.) they activate and Tivo doesn't.

Since we're all talking about our love of fees. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried hooking up a Hopper or Joey to an HDMI splitter to feed multiple TVs in the house? This would be of limited value since every TV would display the same content but might be useful in certain situations.

Since we're all talking about our love of fees. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried hooking up a Hopper or Joey to an HDMI splitter to feed multiple TVs in the house? This would be of limited value since every TV would display the same content but might be useful in certain situations.
Yes, using HDMI splitters my H3 feeds the theater TV, the projector, the bedroom TV, the garage TV, the living room TV and the bathroom TV

CHAD why you feel the need to defend every cockamame Fee that DISH come's up with is beyond me. You actually can't seem to see any further than the immediate quarter that we are in. This short sightedness is also what is doing DISH in for the long term. Creating a NO DVR fee is the most cynical thing I've seen DISH come up with yet, and I saw them create a $17.00 additional receiver fee in 2010 ,for the 622/722/722k series of dvrs. It's like they don't care anymore about the future and their reputation or retaining what's left of the sub base. They are just grabbing as much money as they can from what's left of their customer base, while they can. My guess is that Charlie will just sell off what ever is left of DISH when the sub numbers fall below a certain level and be done with it.
I've always wondered why people defend every fee and price increase. Especially if they do not own stock or work for the company. The guys here that do installs for Dish I get. Dish is their lively hood.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I've always wondered why people defend every fee and price increase. Especially if they do not own stock or work for the company. The guys here that do installs for Dish I get. Dish is their lively hood.

I agree. I also wonder why some people attack every fee and price increase. It's simple, you don't think the service is a good value, you change providers to one you think is a better value.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Maybe you better sit down first..... Sitting? Ok, I agree with you...... Ok catch your breath... Lmao....

A first receiver fee is finally what you have been calling "because they can." Needing no equipment and fees that come with it is a big draw to streaming. To counter that having no fee for the first receiver particularly a non DVR receiver is needed. Now charging that is counter productive IMO. I bet most that go with no DVR do so primarily to avoid the DVR fee, they are trying to stretch their money but don't really want to stream. Now when making that decision they see they are paying a fee for one non dvr receiver. Yes you can turn it into a DVR for a one time fee and that does save over an actual DVR. But I have never liked a first receiver fee and have long praised DISH for not having it and pointed out how some other services do have it. You can't use their product without their receiver. If you could, another words if you could have no receiver and just use an app I might be more inclined to say at least there is a choice. This hurts the person who likely in most cases can least afford it if they are only getting one Wally on the account. I think any first receiver fee is a mistake.
Welcome to the Dark Side Tampa8. :devilish

Reactions: pattykay
But for families of 3 or more , not so much.[/QUOTE
It is possible that early Slingboxes were incapable of transcoding more than one stream at a time and Dish hasn't rewritten the code to allow more modern appliances (AKA Hopper3) to transcode more than one stream at a time. It is also possible that even the more modern appliance don't have enough horsepower to transcode more than one HD stream at a time.

I agree. I also wonder why some people attack every fee and price increase. It's simple, you don't think the service is a good value, you change providers to one you think is a better value.
I don't come on here a lot. I don't bitch 24/7. I like Dish but I complained this time because I think that fee does a disservice to the company in the long run. When it gets to expensive I'll leave. I would do that with any service.

I would have signed my grandmother up but now not so much. I'll hook her up with Directv now. No box fee.

I don't come on here a lot. I don't bitch 24/7. I like Dish but I complained this time because I think that fee does a disservice to the company in the long run. When it gets to expensive I'll leave. I would do that with any service.

I would have signed my grandmother up but now not so much. I'll hook her up with Directv now. No box fee.

You just proved my point about this fee chasing off potential new subs.

I don't like fees either but Directv is more expensive than Dish after 12 months and you should be careful with Directv channel packages. If you need to add any channels beyond what's included in the basic package, it'll cost a lot more on Directv than with Dish. Don't assume Grandma will be happy with the basic package.

I don't like fees either but Directv is more expensive than Dish after 12 months and you should be careful with Directv channel packages. If you need to add any channels beyond what's included in the basic package, it'll cost a lot more on Directv than with Dish. Don't assume Grandma will be happy with the basic package.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'm not talking about the DirecTV satellite service. I'm talking about the DirecTV streaming service. $35 for 60 channels is cool. I showed her their packages and it has everything she likes in the $35 package.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I'm not talking about the DirecTV satellite service. I'm talking about the DirecTV streaming service. $35 for 60 channels is cool. I showed her their packages and it has everything she likes in the $35 package.

This kind of shows your previous post in a different light. If you had wanted to be clear, you would have written it as Directv Now instead of Directv now. Because DISH charges $5 for a receiver fee, you're going to a streaming service for your grandmother. That's like saying that since Ford charges too much for cruise control, you're going to take the subway.

For the record, I wasn't directing my comment toward you. There are some on here who complain every time a new fee or price increase comes up, berating the provider as greedy and incompetent. My point was and still is..............it's the bottom line that counts, regardless of how the charges and fees add up to get there. I think you understand that and will make your choices based on that bottom line. So will many others, some of whom have stayed with DISH for many years, bitching the whole time. :)

Well they could always make the Hopper 4 be able to do two internet streams at a time. We can always hope.
I don’t see it in their interest to do so.
I do. The desire to have two streams at the same time is one of the reasons why some people insist on having a two-Hopper 3 system, which Dish has consistently shown that they are trying to discourage people from getting. Having the ability to get two streams from one box would make more people satisfied with only one Hopper 5 (I still say Dish is going to skip the number Hopper 4. Hopper Duo is already the fourth version of the Hopper, and "Hopper 4" has become somewhat of a running gag here.) which would then make Dish more satisfied with serving those customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)