Wally Time & OTA Data Wrong?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I am traveling in my RV and I will be on the East coast for several weeks. How can I change the time on just the Wally to reflect the correct time zone?

Also I am getting the wrong data for my local channels as I move across the country. The last stop had the correct data. This stop does not. I know there was a thread about this somewhere, but I could not find it. Where there a solution for this besides manually scheduling a recording?

Are you talking about the locals pertaining to your location or your home locals? As for the time, I bet a hard reset or a Check Switch might fix that

Reactions: charlesrshell
Are you talking about the locals pertaining to your location or your home locals? As for the time, I bet a hard reset or a Check Switch might fix that

I am referring to my locals pertaining to my current location. I did a reset (in diagnostics) and a check switch and it did not help.

I even did a rescan of my OTA with the antenna disconnected and then with it back connected. It still shows the wrong guide data.

Last edited:
I am referring to my locals pertaining to my current location. I did a reset (in diagnostics) and a check switch and it did not help.

I even did a rescan of my OTA with the antenna disconnected and then with it back connected. It still shows the wrong guide data.

I hate to be negative, but this really doesn’t surprise me because I know a lot of the OTA jobs that I’ve done, it took a long time for the data to show up

You shouldn't bet on that. :biggrin2 The time zone on the receiver is set based on the Service Address on the account. The Topic Starter could change the Service Address to an Eastern Time Zone address to change the time zone on the Wally, but that would also change the time zone setting on any other receivers on the same account.

When you say you are getting the wrong guide data, is it the data for the previously scanned locals (wrong market) or for a wrong channel from the current market? I have seen both problems before. If the guide data for old locals (no longer scanned in) is still showing up on the wrong channels, then like HipKat said earlier, that should resolve itself but it may take awhile. Leaving the Wally in standby and letting it take a fresh guide download may help, but you may still have to wait until after the scheduled daily reset (or longer) for the guide data to start getting mapped correctly.

On the other hand, if the guide data that is showing up is for a different channel in the same market, then that is likely an issue with Dish's OTA guide database, and there is nothing you can do on your end to fix it. This is usually caused when two local channels start sharing the same frequency, and Dish's database cannot map the guide correctly to each channel. To use an example from my market (Cleveland, Ohio) WRLM virtual channel 47 now shares the same frequency as WEAO virtual channel 49. Since both virtual channels are in the same stream, they now have the same Transport Stream ID (TSID). Dish's guide mapping database only looks for the TSID and subchannel number (-01 in this case) to map the guide data, ignoring the different primary channel numbers (47 vs. 49). The host station is WEAO, so this issue causes the guide data for 049-01 to get mapped to both 047-01 and 049-01.

You shouldn't bet on that. :biggrin2 The time zone on the receiver is set based on the Service Address on the account. The Topic Starter could change the Service Address to an Eastern Time Zone address to change the time zone on the Wally, but that would also change the time zone setting on any other receivers on the same account..

Ahhhhh, learn something new, every day

Reactions: pattykay
Ahhhhh, learn something new, every day
Yes, I happened to know that answer from experience, having "moved" to the Los Angeles market to get Superstation KTLA, at a time when I did not care whether I could actually receive the rest of the local networks. (Locals are included in Welcome Pack, so it was not like I was paying extra for just that one channel.) Naturally, that changed the time zone in my Guide to Pacific Time, even though I was physically located in the Eastern Time Zone.

You shouldn't bet on that. :biggrin2 The time zone on the receiver is set based on the Service Address on the account. The Topic Starter could change the Service Address to an Eastern Time Zone address to change the time zone on the Wally, but that would also change the time zone setting on any other receivers on the same account.

When you say you are getting the wrong guide data, is it the data for the previously scanned locals (wrong market) or for a wrong channel from the current market? I have seen both problems before. If the guide data for old locals (no longer scanned in) is still showing up on the wrong channels, then like HipKat said earlier, that should resolve itself but it may take awhile. Leaving the Wally in standby and letting it take a fresh guide download may help, but you may still have to wait until after the scheduled daily reset (or longer) for the guide data to start getting mapped correctly.

On the other hand, if the guide data that is showing up is for a different channel in the same market, then that is likely an issue with Dish's OTA guide database, and there is nothing you can do on your end to fix it. This is usually caused when two local channels start sharing the same frequency, and Dish's database cannot map the guide correctly to each channel. To use an example from my market (Cleveland, Ohio) WRLM virtual channel 47 now shares the same frequency as WEAO virtual channel 49. Since both virtual channels are in the same stream, they now have the same Transport Stream ID (TSID). Dish's guide mapping database only looks for the TSID and subchannel number (-01 in this case) to map the guide data, ignoring the different primary channel numbers (47 vs. 49). The host station is WEAO, so this issue causes the guide data for 049-01 to get mapped to both 047-01 and 049-01.

I have no idea what channel or where this channel is that I am getting the data on. I am using TitanTV to know what times I can record the shows we want to watch. The data is wrong, but shows are correct. I cannot find the shows that are shown on the guide on any channels where I am currently at.

I have no idea what channel or where this channel is that I am getting the data on. I am using TitanTV to know what times I can record the shows we want to watch. The data is wrong, but shows are correct. I cannot find the shows that are shown on the guide on any channels where I am currently at.

Hello reubenray. If you are still getting the wrong data on your Wally's guide, that is definitely something we would want to look into and make sure that the service zip code matches your RV's current location. We’re not able to access accounts or make changes through Satellite Guys at this time, but you can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist. -Jasmine D.

Hello reubenray. If you are still getting the wrong data on your Wally's guide, that is definitely something we would want to look into and make sure that the service zip code matches your RV's current location. We’re not able to access accounts or make changes through Satellite Guys at this time, but you can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist. -Jasmine D.

I just tried chat and the person I was chatting with had no idea about the OTA adapter. She wanted to change my Dish provided locals at home. I do not want to change my service address. I was just wanting the correct guide data while using the OTA adapter. Hopefully she did not mess up my locals at home.

I just tried chat and the person I was chatting with had no idea about the OTA adapter. She wanted to change my Dish provided locals at home. I do not want to change my service address. I was just wanting the correct guide data while using the OTA adapter. Hopefully she did not mess up my locals at home.

As you've already discovered your guide data will be for wherever your service address is. If you want guide data for OTA that isn't where your service address is then you'll probably have to hook the antenna up to your TV or consult an online guide.

As you've already discovered your guide data will be for wherever your service address is. If you want guide data for OTA that isn't where your service address is then you'll probably have to hook the antenna up to your TV or consult an online guide.

The guide was correct at my last location which was not my service address.

Reactions: pattykay
Perhaps if you post a picture of the incorrect guide data, that might help us figure out what station it is, and maybe even why its data is being mapped to the wrong channel in your guide.

Guess you got lucky.
Luck has nothing to do with it. That is the way the system is supposed to work: the receiver scans the entire satellite-delivered guide database for all of the locals nationwide, to match the TSID being broadcast by each station to the TSID code in Dish's database, to map the guide data stream to the correct OTA channel, regardless of where the receiver is physically located. The problem comes when either: the station is broadcasting the wrong TSID (or Dish's database information for that station is incorrect) or when the frequency-sharing situation I described earlier happens, since Dish's system was not set up to deal with a single station having multiple channels with the same subchannel number (such as -01) but different primary channel numbers. I do not know if Dish is working on a solution for the frequency-sharing situation at the moment. However, if the wrong guide data is being caused by a TSID mismatch, and the information about which station is being mapped to which channel gets submitted to Dish, then they do occasionally correct these mistakes, although it is not a huge priority.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I realize this is a year old thread, but moving forward, I had the issue of the guide not displaying correct information last year while RV'ing the great southwest. When I contacted Dish, the fella told me to tune to channel 105 and press the power button on the Wally box, not the remote, and wait. Soon, the guide download started and all came up correct. It seems channel 105 queries the same sat the guide updates from and by following this procedure it forces a guide update. I have used this technique many times and it seems to work every time.

Reactions: dennispap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts