Wally to PC via wi-fi

redryder931

Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Crossville, TN
Wally is at far end of house. Workshop is 100 feet away in separate building. HughesNet for internet is metered so not able to use Dish Anywhere without burning up my allocation.

Any options to get the Wally signal from the house to the shop pc via wi-fi so I can have a movie up while puttering?

If I need to change channels then I'll go back into the house.
Wally is not yet connected to internet, but can be.

/jon

If you're on the same wi-if network, DA only uses the Internet for authentication. The programming only goes across your own network.

Reactions: stardust3
Connected Wally to the router and authenticated the Dish Anywhere. Then did a quick 15 min test using Glasswire (network monitoring tool) to see how the data flowed, and all data went via the hughesnet connection. None went from Wally to PC. For this test I had both the Wally and the pc on the same router.

I have not found any settings in Dish Anywhere or the Wally that would make the source be the Wally for DA when the target is on the the local net.

I had to confirm for myself, da does use wan when you're on your own network.

You can see exactly when I cut it off.

upload_2017-6-29_21-41-49.png

Reactions: charlesrshell
A router in Client Mode connects to another wireless Access Point (the host router). A setup like this would allow a person to use a joey via the home network connected with a cat5 to the client mode router.

What about adding another wally to include the shop? For $7 it's not a bad deal with the limited internet connection.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What about adding another wally to include the shop? For $7 it's not a bad deal with the limited internet connection.

Thought about adding a third Wally for the shop but there are some sidewalks and paved area between the house and shop so the logistics of either digging a second trench out to the shop to lay the cable, or trying to string it high enough and properly supported so it won't get snagged by the delivery vans made that approach painful, and costly. The existing power conduit is full so can't take that path.

I didn't think the Wallys had Sling built-in (like the HWS or Hopper 3). DishAnywhere can't pull content from the Wally, only the cloud servers in this case.

It does have Composite AV outputs, so you could use something like this and a spare TV: 5.8GHz Wireless Audio/Video Transmitter - Monoprice.com This also supports IR back to the source which would allow you to change channels!

Monoprice also has an HDMI transmitter for up to 50m, but that would tie up your HDMI port. Bit-Path AV Wireless HDMI Extender Kit, 50 Meters - Monoprice.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts