Wally vs Hopper Duo vs Hopper 2 & 3

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
Dish has a lot of receiver options these days and they're all DVRs or at least they can be, so I thought everyone here could compare the pros and cons of each model and the reasons to choose one or the other.

OK, right off the bat, eliminate from all further consideration the Hopper 1 and Hopper 2 (HWS). The CUI software made these painful to deal with and its only gotten worse since then.

Now- your application is going to drive which other receiver would best fit. For home use, with 2 or more TVs in active use, I recommend the H3. It will have more features and be easiest to use.

For a single TV home, with light to moderate use and where two tuners are sufficient, the Hopper Duo. I do not think this is a good fit in most cases, but it is cheaper.

For RV use, I recommend the Wally, especially if feeding only a single TV. It can control auto aiming dishes.

OK, right off the bat, eliminate from all further consideration the Hopper 1 and Hopper 2 (HWS). The CUI software made these painful to deal with and its only gotten worse since then.

Now- your application is going to drive which other receiver would best fit. For home use, with 2 or more TVs in active use, I recommend the H3. It will have more features and be easiest to use.

For a single TV home, with light to moderate use and where two tuners are sufficient, the Hopper Duo. I do not think this is a good fit in most cases, but it is cheaper.

For RV use, I recommend the Wally, especially if feeding only a single TV. It can control auto aiming dishes.

Based on forum feedback, just switched from DTV (11yr cust) to Dish. H3 and Joey3 in the house and a Wally in the coach. Working good so far. Happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing is if you tell the Dish website you have three TVs, they try to give you a Hopper 2.

Why did you leave Directv?
Have you tried Comcast? I can tell you all about the X1 DVR. Its an "experience".

Always need to switch periodically to get newer technologies and better pricing. Too bad long term customers don’t periodically get the new offerings like new customers do. Just seems long-term doesn’t really buy you much anymore.

Wanted HD in the coach. With our Winegard T4 on top, could only get SD with DTV and SD appears to be going away in 2019, per forum discussions. To get HD with DTV, would’ve had to purchase additional/different antenna system.

My genie on-demand at home never, ever worked with DTV even after switching genie equipment and CS phone work. Guess it didn’t like our internet. We just gave up on it. Dish works flawlessly with on-demand.

Where we’re located, no cable is offered and my internet is a whooping 6M wireless download speed. My only bonus is I have no data caps, period. But, good enough to stream HD.

Always need to switch periodically to get newer technologies and better pricing. Too bad long term customers don’t periodically get the new offerings like new customers do. Just seems long-term doesn’t really buy you much anymore.

Wanted HD in the coach. With our Winegard T4 on top, could only get SD with DTV and SD appears to be going away in 2019, per forum discussions. To get HD with DTV, would’ve had to purchase additional/different antenna system.

My genie on-demand at home never, ever worked with DTV even after switching genie equipment and CS phone work. Guess it didn’t like our internet. We just gave up on it. Dish works flawlessly with on-demand.

Where we’re located, no cable is offered and my internet is a whooping 6M wireless download speed. My only bonus is I have no data caps, period. But, good enough to stream HD.

The Winegard Roadtrip T4 in-motion dish?
I've been looking at that dish, how well does it work when you're moving?

The Winegard Roadtrip T4 in-motion dish?
I've been looking at that dish, how well does it work when you're moving?

We don’t typically use it in that way as it’s just the DW and myself, but I have a buddy that uses it. He likes it and said it tracks really well. Says there’s an occasional picture stutter, but nothing that blanks all the way out. His kids watching cartoons probably don’t even notice.

Thing I liked is when I switched to Dish, just flipped a couple switches under the dome and done.

I'm playing with the idea of getting a second Hopper 3 for use both at home and in the RV. When the second H3 is in the RV, I'll have to replace it with a Joey at home (running off the first Hopper). So I'd need to be able to run the second H3 and a Joey from the same outlet, although not at the same time since the Joey would be removed when the second H3 is back home. I'm guessing the Joey will run off of the same "host" feed meant for the Hopper since MoCA is present on all feeds but I wonder if the satellite signal on the host feed meant for the Hopper will damage the Joey. What do you guys think?

I'm playing with the idea of getting a second Hopper 3 for use both at home and in the RV. When the second H3 is in the RV, I'll have to replace it with a Joey at home (running off the first Hopper). So I'd need to be able to run the second H3 and a Joey from the same outlet, although not at the same time since the Joey would be removed when the second H3 is back home. I'm guessing the Joey will run off of the same "host" feed meant for the Hopper since MoCA is present on all feeds but I wonder if the satellite signal on the host feed meant for the Hopper will damage the Joey. What do you guys think?

The safe way to do that would be to switch the cable from the host port to a client port. A duo hub would make it easier but you can still do it with two single hubs.

I thought about using a Tap but since I don't need the Hopper and the Joey hooked up at the same time, do I need the Tap?
Yes, so when you switch to the Joey, you switch the cable from Host to Client so you want the tap behind the receiver. Nothing would be connected to the Client port when the Hopper is there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts