Wally vs Hopper Duo vs Hopper 2 & 3

T
Well I swapped hard drives, from Wally to ViP211K, and from ViP211K to Wally, and both required a reformat for me.

Thank you for confirming my understanding that my current setup is the most economical for me. I do wish they would add the Youtube app to the Wally, that would be my biggest want at this point. I like our Wally, and will be searching out a cheap one to replace the ViP211K.
The 211 and the Wally use two different user interfaces. The Wally uses the CUI which, essentially, is a whole different operating system than the 211s. Think Windows and Mac.... The EHDs wouldn't be able to read each other.

T

The 211 and the Wally use two different user interfaces. The Wally uses the CUI which, essentially, is a whole different software scheme than the 211s. Think Windows and Mac.... The EHDs wouldn't be able to read each other.
You would think that ... except that Dish published a hard drive compatibility chart at one point, showing that the 211 series and Wally were supposed to be interchangeable. Also, hard drives from ViP DVRs still work with Hoppers, and vice versa. However, when it comes to the ViP211k and Wally, daleeper's experience matches what I have observed.

Reactions: TheKrell
You would think that ... except that Dish published a hard drive compatibility chart at one point, showing that the 211 series and Wally were supposed to be interchangeable. Also, hard drives from ViP DVRs still work with Hoppers, and vice versa. However, when it comes to the ViP211k and Wally, daleeper's experience matches what I have observed.
VIP DVRs and Hoppers EHDs would be interchangeable because they don't contain the the necessary software that the 211s and Wallys need to make them DVRs, they simply hold the programming that you placed on them.

VIP DVRs and Hoppers EHDs would be interchangeable because they don't contain the the necessary software that the 211s and Wallys need to make them DVRs, they simply hold the programming that you placed on them.
And what exactly make you think that the EHD on a Wally or 211 has any software loaded on to it since its all in the receiver.

I have a Wally with a Western Digital MyBook 2 TB EHD. My programming package is $22.99/month + $.03 FCC fee. Monthly total $23.02. While I notice a small difference in reaction time in the GUI, overall the Wally is about as solid as the Hopper 3 I used to have. Haven't needed the 16 tuners either; 2 tuners is working fine for me.