Wally with a21201 antenna LNBF

pinkertonk

Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
Alabama
Wally works fine with rv rooftop dish. Trying to use a pole mounted a 1000.2 antenna with a21201 LNBF. Aiming for the western Arc using the sat finder app. No meter but am open to suggestions. When I reset the wally I get the no signal message.

Do I need to do anything to configure the wally for the 1000.2? If so, what? I'm pretty inept

This is a used antenna. I don't know how to test it?

If you think it's just aiming and I need a meter, what should I get? Realize this will probably never be used again so budget is a factor.

Any advice is appreciated.

First run a check switch test to make sure the Wally identifies the LNBF. Home button three times, followed by the number 3 and 5. Once its done you should see a screen that will show your LNBF model (DPP Triple or similar) and to the right a list of satellites currently being received. If you are lucky to have hit one or two out of the three then let us know to give you further directions. If the test detected the LNBF but no satellites (The list will show Conn. and a bunch of cross marks) then you need to make sure your elevation and skew on the dish is correct based on your zip code. DishPointer - Align your satellite dish is a good place to get angles/directions from.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Wally works fine with rv rooftop dish. Trying to use a pole mounted a 1000.2 antenna with a21201 LNBF. Aiming for the western Arc using the sat finder app. No meter but am open to suggestions. When I reset the wally I get the no signal message.

Do I need to do anything to configure the wally for the 1000.2? If so, what? I'm pretty inept

This is a used antenna. I don't know how to test it?

If you think it's just aiming and I need a meter, what should I get? Realize this will probably never be used again so budget is a factor.

Any advice is appreciated.
The test says switch DPP 1K.2 reception error. Switch status says conn conn conn each with a red X below. Does that mean it sees and can talk to the dish but isn't getting a signal? I will try to aim according to the link you set and try again.

Go to the Dish Pointer link above and plug in the address where you are. Then scroll way down the satellite list to the "Multi-LNB" section and click on the Dish 1000.2 listing. The aiming numbers for your location will be listed below the map. The "Skew" is the amount of "twist" or "off level" the dish needs to align the triple LNB with the satellite arc in the sky. The elevation angle is shown on the side plates of the dish mount, and use the side plates of the mount to set the initial magnetic azimuth per the listing if you're using a compass. Oh, and make sure the pole is dead level. The meter you showed will work with a lot of patience, but for a one time install you likely have more of that than the cost of a good meter that can run several hundred dollars.

Depending on which roof dish you have on your RV, it may help to run a switch test first with no dish connected to clear the current satellite info.

Last edited:
Does that mean it sees and can talk to the dish but isn't getting a signal?
Yes.
Same result. Do I need a meter? How would I use one. Is this an acceptable meter?
You don't "need" one, but it definitely helps, especially on your first few times. Eventually if you do it enough you can almost eyeball it. Never used that model of meter so I cant vouch for it.
What is skew? Is that the angle off level side to side?
Yes. Think of it this way: Skew is the curvature of the constellation belt the satellites are on, so depending on your location this will change the angle they hit the reflective part of the dish. If you look at the back of the 1000.2 you will notice the skew bolts and a scale going from 40 to 140 degrees, you need to make sure this is correct for your current location or you will not catch all three satellites. Azimuth is the direction you are pointing, and elevation is self explanatory (how high or low in the sky you are pointing).

Once you get your skew and elevation locked in (and really important, have the mast level), you want to start scanning left and right until you find something. It is recommended you start from the South-West direction and make your way South slowly to avoid picking up the satellites in the wrong order/LNB (I think? someone correct me if it was South to South-West). For this part it can help to have the meter you posted, or a friend/spouse/whatever stand in front of the receiver with the point dish screen from earlier (the one with the Conn. and crosses, home x3, then number 3), tuner set to 1, satellite 119 and transponder 21. Once you get a signal, adjust for the highest amount of signal you can (that specific transponder should go up to around 75-80, you realistically only need about 50) then run another check switch test (again, home x3, 3 then 5 or if you are on the signal screen then just press 5) and see if you have more satellites.

While I can now do it in a manner of minutes (takes me longer to get the mast plumb), first time I aligned a dish on a tripod it took me around 3 hours, so just be patient. My mistake was, you guessed it, not being on a level surface. I also never use a meter unless I'm aligning something other than Dish.

First run a check switch test to make sure the Wally identifies the LNBF. Home button three times, followed by the number 3 and 5. Once its done you should see a screen that will show your LNBF model (DPP Triple or similar) and to the right a list of satellites currently being received. If you are lucky to have hit one or two out of the three then let us know to give you further directions. If the test detected the LNBF but no satellites (The list will show Conn. and a bunch of cross marks) then you need to make sure your elevation and skew on the dish is correct based on your zip code. DishPointer - Align your satellite dish is a good place to get angles/directions from.
May I ask a question here? You indicate to push the home button three times....that doesnt work with my Wally. Also I beleive these are old instructions as I am unable to find a dish pointer screen like I could with the old 211. Also when hooked to the LBBF the screen idicates the Wally id looking for a mobile antenna?? Any of this make sence?

May I ask a question here? You indicate to push the home button three times....that doesnt work with my Wally. Also I beleive these are old instructions as I am unable to find a dish pointer screen like I could with the old 211. Also when hooked to the LBBF the screen idicates the Wally id looking for a mobile antenna?? Any of this make sence?
Unplug the Wally, make sure the cable from the Dish is connected, and plug in the Wally

Push home til you get to the Diagnostics Screen, whether or not it's 2 or 3 times.
Then Press #3 for Dish and #5 for Signal Test or however it's written

Unplug the Wally, make sure the cable from the Dish is connected, and plug in the Wally

Push home til you get to the Diagnostics Screen, whether or not it's 2 or 3 times.
Then Press #3 for Dish and #5 for Signal Test or however it's written
I took the dish apart and it has no switch just the input cable hooked to the one of 4 ports. Don't I need a switch even though it's a single Wally? Sorry to be a pain.

Does the test identify the LNBF switch? have you verified your dish is aimed using the correct azimuth, elevation, and skew settings? Do you have a signal meter to verify the aiming?
no meter, does not identify the lnbf. It is still looking for the mobile dish. I have tried changing the three settings several times a few degrees at a time. I have a separate working lnbf dish for the house and the mobile dish works.

Just for jeepers, take the coax off of the Wally and then run the test switch. It will report nothing found. That should clear the matrix. After that put the coax back on the Wally and do the test switch again. It seems that you are stuck in the mobile setting and that must clear.

Just for jeepers, take the coax off of the Wally and then run the test switch. It will report nothing found. That should clear the matrix. After that put the coax back on the Wally and do the test switch again. It seems that you are stuck in the mobile setting and that must clear.
New news, I got 129 to work (50 signal) but can't zero in 110 and 119.

The only thing a Check Switch does is establish whether or not it's communicating with the LNBF. That's it.
The signal meter part is only possible once communication with the LNBF is established.

Second, if you are connecting your Wally to a normal Dish after being set up on a mobile dish, the steps given above this post should help clear that

The only thing a Check Switch does is establish whether or not it's communicating with the LNBF. That's it.
The signal meter part is only possible once communication with the LNBF is established.

Second, if you are connecting your Wally to a normal Dish after being set up on a mobile dish, the steps given above this post should help clear that
OK guys we are getting closer! signal on 129 trans 23 and 29 is 50. 119 trans 16 and 18 is about 35. 110 spotbeam 11 is 80, 9 is 80, 10 is 50 and 8 is 0. Does this mean anything because I'm missing several channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)