Want both Chattanooga and Atlanta locals

Bings

Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Chatsworth, Georgia
I am in a similiar situation, I live in North Georgia, But am not allowed to get Atlanta Locals. I have to receive Chattanooga Locals. Chattanooga is 45 miles away, Atlanta is 90. But, Atlanta has Local news that affects me more. I understand the reason for having "A viewing area" for commercial reasons. But here's my delima, I don't want to Drop the Chattanooga locals, I just want to PAY MORE and receive the Atlanta ones in addition to. I don't understand why this is not possible. Could someone from Dish please chime in regarding this issue. Also my Cable provider Charter includes BOTH., Atlanta is too far away for OTA, so that is not an option....Any opinions?

very easy to explain

Cable has rules about what locals they can carry from the 60's
Satellite has rules from 2000 which pretty much says in extreme cases satellite companies dont offer any neighboring locals

Now take that one step further
Dish got its hand slapped HARD back in 06 for giving folks distants who didnt qualify. Si they couldnt give you any station not in your market. About 2 years ago they started to be able to import stations but ONLY if it was a missing network (no affiliate in that market)

bottom line no matter how much you kick scream say "I'll pay $50 a month for them" Dish can only give you one set of locals as defined by Nielsen. The only option is to "move" (do a search) and use an antenna for Chattanooga

I am in a similiar situation, I live in North Georgia, But am not allowed to get Atlanta Locals. I have to receive Chattanooga Locals. Chattanooga is 45 miles away, Atlanta is 90. But, Atlanta has Local news that affects me more. I understand the reason for having "A viewing area" for commercial reasons. But here's my delima, I don't want to Drop the Chattanooga locals, I just want to PAY MORE and receive the Atlanta ones in addition to. I don't understand why this is not possible. Could someone from Dish please chime in regarding this issue. Also my Cable provider Charter includes BOTH., Atlanta is too far away for OTA, so that is not an option....Any opinions?

Iceberg answered why this is not a Dish or any carrier issue, it's the FCC regs. You are asking something that many of us have said however. Why can't there be a fee to watch locals outside your area if your carrier is willing to give them to you. The money could be put not only to the carrier, but also payment to the your actual locals for potential loss of ad revenue. In this technological age and in a Country like the U.S. this should be possible. Football and Baseball came up with ways to watch out of market games, and people do pay. And it is very possible someone is not watching the advertising of the local game because they don't watch the local team. (Moved, just does not like, etc....)

I know this probably isn't the preferred answer on the Dish forum, but for a few places in North Georgia (in the Chattanooga market), DirecTV provides both Atlanta and Chattanooga locals in HD and SD. If you aren't in one of them the you could always "move." Check here:

DIRECTV: Neighboring Local Channels

Last edited:
and there is one of your "extreme" cases :)

My location is another one. My "Address" is in North Mankato, MN which is in Nicollet county. That is considered Minneapolis market.
Across the river in Blue Earth county is Mankato. They are their own DMA with CBS & Fox subchannel. They get both + ABC & NBC from Minneapolis (short market)

However, the studios for the Mankato station are in North Mankato so we get CBS as SV. I'm still trying to get them to give us the Fox affiliate too. D* site says yes but Directv says not available.

Last edited:
Iceberg answered why this is not a Dish or any carrier issue, it's the FCC regs.

actually part of it IS a Dish issue....the fact they can't offer ANY station outside of your market unless you are in a short market (missing a network).
The ONLY exception that I know of is the 2 counties in Southern Vermont do get the locals assigned by Nielsen (Boston and I forget the other counties locals) AND Burlington Vermont. That took a law by the Vermont lawmakers and approved by the FCC to let that happen.

Remember...according to the FCC WMUR in New Hampshire is suppose to be given to EVERY NH subscriber regardless of market. Directv does, cable does, Dish still can't due to the whole lawsuit and them losing the ability to import stations.

Yes, but really isn't what the OP is seeking. He wants two full different local DMA's, just because....... Alot of us do.... (I do get AAD - a different story......)

I broke off this conversation to a new thread since the OOP (the original original poster) had their question answered

Yes, but really isn't what the OP is seeking. He wants two full different local DMA's, just because....... Alot of us do.... (I do get AAD - a different story......)
I understand. Easiest is if you are within antenna range of a set of locals is to "move" to the locals you want and use the antenna for your legit locals :)

As a matter of fact.... I get the Springfield Mass locals on my OTA actually only to get the Red Sox when they are on Saturday Fox. The Ct Fox station alternates between the Yankees and Red Sox so it becomes one of the very rare times there is no Red Sox TV coverage in Ct. I also like one of the female newscasters on WWLP...... lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)