Want this Big Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Puxx

Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Bedford, VA
We are dismantling the big dish. Do you want it? Otherwise, could use some advice taking it down.

Attachments

• puxx big dish.jpg
    puxx big dish.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 318
We inherited with the house 9 years ago. Was fun for awhile, esp. NASA channel and wild feeds. But a windstorm broke something on it, and you can see where it is pointing...perhaps at a satellite in geostationary orbit over China.

might help?

At least you are on the ground. Two people can take one down pretty fast if the bolts are not rusted solid. The picture looks like it is resting on the pole so you can remove the jack, (if not loosen the bolts on the tube and slide the dish on the pole so the weight is resting on the pole then you can remove the jack). Leave the mount on the pole loosen the four bolts on the back of the mount. When all the rest is ready have someone hold the front of the dish and pull the last top bolt out then the two of you can lower the dish off the mount and take care of the rest of it see link, for more tips on removing a c-band dish,.

I took a picture of my dish just to point out the obvious what would happen if I took out the two jack bolts first the dish and not resting it on the pole, it would drop and kill me knocking me off my ladder. Mine is easy twenty feet up and through the outside corner of my deck, ouch! Also do not do it on a windy day.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...23655-need-advice-removing-bud-high-roof.html

Attachments

• Jam083.jpg
    Jam083.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 193
We would rather help you to get it working again!
... and have you as a member! - :cool:

If you have any desire to see it running again, perhaps with a new DVB receiver for the many digital signals available today...
... this is the group to help you get it going! - :up

Just post some pictures of the back side, with proper lighting so we can tell what's what.

See The List for what's up on C-band today (and Ku, too)

But a windstorm broke something on it, and you can see where it is pointing...perhaps at a satellite in geostationary orbit over China.

i would agree with Anole a few pics of the backside and motor would help. to me from the picture shown it looks like an over extended actuator. might not have anything broke so it could be an easy fix.

I would love to have it, but (even if I was driving that far,) pulling a trailer to bring it home would be too expensive. We would much rather see you get it working again! I will not been heading East again until November, and I am not planning to go back that far North on the East coast..... But there is probably someone a whole lot closer that could come over if this forum can not talk you through it! Unless a bracket broke, there is not much of anything that can not be fixed rather easily!

Looks like the actuator arm is bent. Seems if you look close enough you can see it arc just to the top right of the mount.
Sure wish I could get it. It looks like a 12 foot dish.
Biggest I've found around here are 10 footers.
VA is just a bit too far for me...
I had an 8' shipped from AZ for something around $160... but, I can't justify spending another 2 or 3 bills just to get a 12 footer...

What a pretty dish - Looks not to be beat up. Get you a new actuator and maybe new lnbs a FTA receiver and hang out with us here. Satellite hobby is FUN!!!!!

Pix of Backside

Thanks for your responses so far, you all do seem like a good group. Here are pix of the backside my son took while I was out today, hopefully it catches the relevant parts. I started on the hobby for a few years until work and kids swamped me. We are probably moving soon so I would rather someone from a group like this take it than have to take it down as part of the sale. On the other hand, I hate to see it go!

Attachments

• Dishrear1.JPG
    Dishrear1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 215
  • Dishrear3.JPG
    Dishrear3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 226
  • Dishrear7.JPG
    Dishrear7.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
nice pix

Wow, as rust goes, that's in quite good shape.
The third picture shows the perf surface pretty well, too.
Just a few hail dings.
Not sure the exact size, but does the label say: SAMI ?

Looks like the motor is broken.
I assume it would need a new one - :confused:
Hope you can find someone in the area who'll appreciate it and give it a nice restoration.

If I was within a hundred miles, I'd rent a trailer and drive right over with my wrenches. - :cool:

It is a nice dish.

Nothing broken that I can see except for the actuator. That could be fixed in a few minutes with a new one.

Hope you can find someone close to give it a good home. :)

that looks alot like the 10 ft channelmaster I just put up replacing the old 8.5 channelmaster I have.
If heaven forbid it gets scrapped I need some small parts/bolts.

Sad lookin motor lol, I think I've done everything except that, so far.
Easy fix though, if he wants to get it going again. Set the east limit on the next one!

It's a SAMI 10 footer

For George's sake, I wish I could say it had a 10-ft RADIUS, but alas, it is a mere 10 feet in diameter, a SAMI. But come on, guys, I drive 900 miles round trip for work every other week or so! I'll take you out to dinner! :hungry:

OK, I'll tell you what: if we don't move, I will consider resurrecting it. If we do move, I am feeling better about how take it down, except the pole and concrete base. I'm thinking it may become a bird house.

We are probably within a month of knowing for sure where we're going.

don't be a stranger

Putting a flagpole or birdhouse on the stub of a pipe might save digging it out, so good thinking.
We've even got pictures where one member cut his off low, then folded the remains of the pipe into the hole.

Well, if you do stay, at least now you know where to come for some good natured fun 'n encouragement.
Won't find a friendlier bunch . . . and experienced, too! - :up - :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)