Want to cancel DVR but confusing

fathobbit

Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I have one DVR 510 and one regular receiver, I wanted to cancel the extra receiver fee and the DVR fee. I was out when I called Dish Network to cancel. She said I will be able to watch recorded programs still on the DVR, but she wanted to know the serial number of the DVR. Since I was out I couldn't provide it then. But I was wondering, does that mean she will lock the DVR, so that it doesn't receive any channels nor the watching recorded stuff on the DVR. Which receiver does she actually deactivate so that I don't get charged for the extra receiver. Ofcourse I guess I will not be able to record since I'm going to be cancelling the DVR fee, but will it just receive channels if she cancels the other receiver. Waiting for answers so that I can call them & cancel this extra charge.

I dont think you can cancel your DVR fee(feature), they will probably turn off the DVR receiver. But the receiver will still work enough to get the free channels (preview/nasa)and you should still be able to watch what you have already recorded(I think).

I would guess that they would remove the DVR510 from your account. Thus you could not receive anything from the sat with that IRD. You would still be able to view things you had on the drive but that would be all.

If your worried E* "deactivating" the DVR features so that you cannot play prerecorded stuff, just disconnect it from the dish BEFORE you call in to disconnect it & it should work fine. ;) ;)

I think we own the Dish and the receivers. I got more than a year ago. So I will disconnect the sat cable before calling them. So from what people have said, the DVR becomes useless, other than watching pre recorded programs. Its not going work only as a receiver. So in than case I should switch my receiver in the bedroom to the living room I guess.

fathobbit said:
I think we own the Dish and the receivers. I got more than a year ago. So I will disconnect the sat cable before calling them. So from what people have said, the DVR becomes useless, other than watching pre recorded programs. Its not going work only as a receiver. So in than case I should switch my receiver in the bedroom to the living room I guess.
Well why would you need the DVR for once they turn off your receiver anyways??? Going to record NASA or maybe how to program your remote??? The receiver will not receive any channels once it gets deactivated.

Also why would you unplug you receiver before calling??? You will need to hook the receiver back up to use the DVR and once you do it will automatically be turned off anyways.

thiggin2 said:
Also why would you unplug you receiver before calling??? You will need to hook the receiver back up to use the DVR and once you do it will automatically be turned off anyways.

I said unplug it from the DISH, NOT the AC power - you do NOT need it hooked up to a dish to watch prerecorded shows. If it's unplugged from the dish, it will NOT get the shutdown signal from E*... ;) ;)

I've got ours unplugged from the dish and the phone line. We haven't cancelled yet. The wife has a few weeks to watch everything that's recorded before I call to ship it back. Other than that the DVR features still work as far as playing already recorded media. Short of them coming to my house and picking it up there isn't much they can do to render it useless.

Well I guess I just use my DVR different than some people. I only use it to record a show when I'm not here, I dont use it when I'm already watching. And when I'm done I delete it. I wouldn't want something the size of this receiver just taking up space just to watch things that I already have watched, if I did then I would just buy the DVD, it takes up less space and easier to move around.

thiggin2 said:
Well I guess I just use my DVR different than some people. I only use it to record a show when I'm not here, I dont use it when I'm already watching. And when I'm done I delete it. I wouldn't want something the size of this receiver just taking up space just to watch things that I already have watched, if I did then I would just buy the DVD, it takes up less space and easier to move around.

:confused: :rolleyes:
I think the point he is making is that they have lots of recorded shows they have NOT HAD time TO watch, that WERE recorded WHILE they WERE gone. (like while at work, etc) Most people have hours & hours of shows saved & they obviously want to watch all of these hours of prerecorded shows they have NOT had the time to watch, BEFORE sending it back. I quite sure they DON'T plan on keeping all these shows permanently... ;) ;) Not sure why this is so hard to understand - I've got enough hours of shows on my DVR's in the triple digits, but I will get them watched eventually, but I will delete them as I watch them... :D :D

The stuff we have n dvr is stuff I already watched but the wife didn't because she was either at work or school. If I had the choice I'd ship the thing back asap but you know what they say. If mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)