Want to change from Comcast to Dish

davinci78

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
I am seriously looking to switch to Dish come Feb.1 as I have become very unhappy with Comcast dvr, service, CR. and VALUE.

My current bill is: 63.45 for Digital cable with On Demand (100 channels, of which my family and I watch approx. 10-15 of those.)

DVR HDTV 2 @ 9.95 apiece = 19.90 (2 hdtv's, main living room, one in our bedroom, no standard TV).

High speed Internet = I believe it's 47.00 to subscribers of digital cable, 57.00 to non-subscribers.

My total bill is around 137.00 with taxes and fees.

I can't go without the HSI as I don't live close enough for dsl, no fios anytime in this century :mad: , so the 57.00 for non-subscribers I will keep.

But looking at Dish: AT100 +DishHD= 34.99 + 20.00 for HD package = 54.99
Locals (NO HD)= 5.00
HD Receiver Access Fee=6.00
DishPlayer DVR fee=5.98

DishDVR Advantage = 49.99
HD package= 20.00

My digital cable without HSI factored in= 80.00 approx.

I was hoping for a "why didn't I do this sooner" type of revelation about cost savings, but only a 10.00 savings at most is a little disappointing. But adding the additional 10.00 rise in my HSI cost, it becomes a wash.

So I guess the question becomes is PQ difference and customer service enough to warrant a change?

I do get my locals in HD OTA, so no locals in HD on dish is not a big issue.

If you want customer service, don't look to Echostar. The PQ difference between cable and satellite (E* or D*)is not even close, both satellite providers are way beyond Comcast for quality.

Dish currently has better and more HD, however, D* has 60+ carriage agreements in place. No telling how much it will cost, or if it will be the standard satellite "HDlite."

For -$10.00 a month you will get superior SD, inferior HD, a better DVR and customer service on par with cable. If you get the 622, push for free, nobody seems to know when this actually happens. If can't hurt to ask. and there are promotions in place that you can actually save 20-40/mo for switching.

You'd be suprised....since you have the cable modem, I bet the digital QAM channels still come through to your house. Hook up a QAM tuner and get your local HD's that way.

Comcast dvr went up jan 1 from 9.95 to 11.95 2nd dvr box is now 16.90 so that is 8.95 a month more. hsi is 42.95 with cable. 57.95 with out. so if you get basic cable at 15.85 and hsi at 42.95 it will cost 58.80 or .85 cents more a month plus you still keep comcast cable just for back up. Dish is great and with the 622 and your hsi around feb 15 it should be even better with dish online. ( the comcast price is for pa )

We sell both, Dish is the better product as far as HD and equipment. Unless you want NFL Sunday Ticket - then go with DirecTv.

We'll see what Dish ONLINE brings but one of the major things I missed from Comcast was the OnDemand. Being able to watch the Sopranos whenever...or movies whenever was a great asset. I hope Dish Online provides the same capabilities but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

The DVR is a beautiful thing...I can't live without one anymore but until the secondary storage becomes available you are limited to what you can store. Its really for just recording stuff you will miss and not for storing movies for rewatching. HD takes up alot of space. I know with the SD DVR I kept a whole season of 24 just in case. Can't do that with the 622.

High speed Internet = I believe it's 47.00 to subscribers of digital cable, 57.00 to non-subscribers.

Is Earthlink available to you via Comcast? If so, go to Earthlink's website and see how much it will cost you. I know that where I live it is cheaper to get Earthlink via my cable provider than to go with my cable provider's internet service. You may pay the same price regardless if you are a subscriber or not. I have Earthlink via my cable company and Dish for my video.

Is Earthlink available to you via Comcast? If so, go to Earthlink's website and see how much it will cost you. I know that where I live it is cheaper to get Earthlink via my cable provider than to go with my cable provider's internet service. You may pay the same price regardless if you are a subscriber or not. I have Earthlink via my cable company and Dish for my video.

Hey thanks for the heads up on earthlink, do you know who they partner w/ for satellite, D* or E*?

Jordan

My sugestion in your situtation would be to switch to Dishnetwork.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)