Want to come back to DirecTV hate Dish.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

reddice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Brooklyn, New York, United States
I really hate Dish Network. We had DirecTV years ago and stupidly went back to Dish Network. First I live in NYC and they took off Sportnet which my mother was ticked off at. Never came back. Now disputes are also getting annoying. They took of channels like FX and AMC which came back after a month.

Then years go buy with no new HD channels. Really finally bring back Disney in HD but no Jr or XD. Not one new premium channel in HD either. Nothing new in HD.

Now this year has been the worst. After nearly threatening to take off Viacom channels they take off our local WPIX station. Then they take off NFL network meanwhile our bill is over $200.00.

My uncle only cares about his SiriusXM Gospel stations and Epix I can live without. Also using there outdated 612 DVR and we don't want a hopper after my other uncle has it and hates it.

He is concerned that they will have to add all new wiring. If we switch back to DirecTV and get the genie's how do they work for 4 TV's? I know the main genie hooks up to the smaller genie mini's. How do they connect to each other. Also do the mini's have profiles meaning that I don't have to see my parents recordings on my genie mini?

Thanks.

Reactions: anex80
You'll get the Genie and then have various options ... the other tvs can use a Genie Client or a regular HD recvr, but D* likes you to use the Clients as they are part of the package the offer. The Client can be wired or wireless.

As for not seeing other recordings, that can be set up.

Last edited:
I really hate Dish Network. We had DirecTV years ago and stupidly went back to Dish Network. First I live in NYC and they took off Sportnet which my mother was ticked off at. Never came back. Now disputes are also getting annoying. They took of channels like FX and AMC which came back after a month.

Then years go buy with no new HD channels. Really finally bring back Disney in HD but no Jr or XD. Not one new premium channel in HD either. Nothing new in HD.

Now this year has been the worst. After nearly threatening to take off Viacom channels they take off our local WPIX station. Then they take off NFL network meanwhile our bill is over $200.00.

My uncle only cares about his SiriusXM Gospel stations and Epix I can live without. Also using there outdated 612 DVR and we don't want a hopper after my other uncle has it and hates it.

He is concerned that they will have to add all new wiring. If we switch back to DirecTV and get the genie's how do they work for 4 TV's? I know the main genie hooks up to the smaller genie mini's. How do they connect to each other. Also do the mini's have profiles meaning that I don't have to see my parents recordings on my genie mini?

Thanks.
Regarding the wiring question, as long as you have at least one coax run to the room that would contain the Genie DVR, there would be no new wiring needed on that end. There's the potential for wiring required from the dish to a SWiM device, but the SWiM system alleviates a lot of the headache with running multiple cables to a single location. This is because a SWiM system multiplexes multiple "channels" (receivers, as it were) over a single cable.

For those rooms with wired receivers, they can be configured for using one wire too.

Even with wireless minis, DirecTV uses a wireless video bridge, and it's fantastic (it doesn't use your existing wifi).

Even with wireless minis, DirecTV uses a wireless video bridge, and it's fantastic (it doesn't use your existing wifi).
So it does not use your existing WiFi great. Also we have all the coax from Dish. As for the roof we have two Dish Network dishes. One old 110, 119 dish not connected and a EA Dish.

Also my uncle keeps saying WPIX will come back well it has been 3 weeks just like he said SportsNet which has been over 6 years.

So it does not use your existing WiFi great. Also we have all the coax from Dish. As for the roof we have two Dish Network dishes. One old 110, 119 dish not connected and a EA Dish.

Also my uncle keeps saying WPIX will come back well it has been 3 weeks just like he said SportsNet which has been over 6 years.
Correct. With a DirecTV SWiM setup, there will be a power inserter that will be a part of the install (the SWiM device requires power, per se). If you go wireless Genie mini, there'll also be the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) that will also be physically inserted into the coax topology, which is how all wireless minis interact with the Genie DVR.

Basically, whether I heard it hear or with DirecTV specifically, they didn't want to have to rely upon a customer's wifi for DirecTV's signaling.

with 4 rooms, dont get all minis, get hr24's
it will cost more up front, but worth it

remember the mini will use a tuner from the genie for live tv, thus blocking it from recording when in use

Reactions: reddice and Jimbo
So the genie only gives you 5 tunes. That is not enough. My mother records almost everything now with the 2 tuner 612DVR we have now? Does the H24 have 2 tuners for each receiver and how much more up front does it cost?

So the genie only gives you 5 tunes. That is not enough. My mother records almost everything now with the 2 tuner 612DVR we have now? Does the H24 have 2 tuners for each receiver and how much more up front does it cost?
The HR24 have 2 tuners each.
And they Range, Could be Free up to $200.
Depends on what Directv wants to do for you.
In 2013 I got HR34, HR24 HR23 and 1 H25.

That cost me $260 upfront.
That was when the HR34 was $99 and the addition HRS were $99 and $49. Plus tax

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I've been with Dish for 2 1/2 years after being with DTV for over 15 and I would like to go back to DTV but they can't give me enough incentive.

If I sign up with Dish for another 2 years I could get a Hopper 3 with 4k and 16 tuners. If I went with DTV I could only get a Genie which has 5 tuners. If I wanted more tuners I would have to purchase another DVR at the cost of $299 for a Genie or possibly less for a "normal" HD DVR. But let's face it, DTV is way behind Dish when it comes to technology.

Why does DTV think they are better than Dish when they can't compete like this?

The main reason I would like to go back is the Hopper doesn't buffer the incoming stream while you are watching a recorded show so you lose it unless you hit the Record button. Why should I have to do that?

Anyways I don't really "hate" Dish but I do dislike some aspects.

...The main reason I would like to go back is the Hopper doesn't buffer the incoming stream while you are watching a recorded show so you lose it unless you hit the Record button. Why should I have to do that?...

Use PIP Swap to maintain a buffer of up to an hour...
Just because features work differently, doesn't mean that they are not there.

I've been with Dish for 2 1/2 years after being with DTV for over 15 and I would like to go back to DTV but they can't give me enough incentive.

If I sign up with Dish for another 2 years I could get a Hopper 3 with 4k and 16 tuners. If I went with DTV I could only get a Genie which has 5 tuners. If I wanted more tuners I would have to purchase another DVR at the cost of $299 for a Genie or possibly less for a "normal" HD DVR. But let's face it, DTV is way behind Dish when it comes to technology.

Why does DTV think they are better than Dish when they can't compete like this?

The main reason I would like to go back is the Hopper doesn't buffer the incoming stream while you are watching a recorded show so you lose it unless you hit the Record button. Why should I have to do that?

Anyways I don't really "hate" Dish but I do dislike some aspects.
How long has this Hopper been out now ?

Before the Hopper (this particular one) D* was ahead in the game.
You don't really think they are just waiting till the other guy brings out something do you ?

I hate it when people do this kind of stuff ... this company is better, opps, now that company is better.

As for what you posted earlier about having to get another Genie, you only can have 1 per account.

It wasn't that long ago that 5 tuners was next great thing.
Now people want 110 tuners ... who's gonna make it to that point ... should we keep going ?

How long has this Hopper been out now ?

Before the Hopper (this particular one) D* was ahead in the game.
You don't really think they are just waiting till the other guy brings out something do you ?

I hate it when people do this kind of stuff ... this company is better, opps, now that company is better.

As for what you posted earlier about having to get another Genie, you only can have 1 per account.

It wasn't that long ago that 5 tuners was next great thing.
Now people want 110 tuners ... who's gonna make it to that point ... should we keep going ?

Yes I've learned that DTV is behind the curve there too. Dish allows you to lease 2 Hoppers and you can add a third if you purchase it and the switches you need. And you can find the schematic on how to connect them on this forum and Dish employees will help you get it activated.

People are getting used to technology increasing at a fast pace. Not sure about 110 tuners but if you live in a house with 4 people watching TV and wanting to record something at the same time you're at 8 tuners right there. One 5 tuner Genie can't hack it.

I can't tell if you're sticking up for Dish or DTV. I think Dish has much better tech but the one issue with the DVR is very annoying.

Another thing that's annoying about Dish. When I switched to them in January of 2014 I posted in their forum that it would be great if they added TV Land in HD since DTV had it and Dish was touting their HD lineup. A Dish rep said they would pass the suggestion on to programming. Last week I checked that thread. It now has multiple pages of people asking for TV Land in HD and getting the same response by Dish. It's clear they don't listen to their customers and it's clear that DTV doesn't either.

Maybe it's time to stop using anything except online options.

Yes I've learned that DTV is behind the curve there too. Dish allows you to lease 2 Hoppers and you can add a third if you purchase it and the switches you need. And you can find the schematic on how to connect them on this forum and Dish employees will help you get it activated.

People are getting used to technology increasing at a fast pace. Not sure about 110 tuners but if you live in a house with 4 people watching TV and wanting to record something at the same time you're at 8 tuners right there. One 5 tuner Genie can't hack it.

I can't tell if you're sticking up for Dish or DTV. I think Dish has much better tech but the one issue with the DVR is very annoying.

Another thing that's annoying about Dish. When I switched to them in January of 2014 I posted in their forum that it would be great if they added TV Land in HD since DTV had it and Dish was touting their HD lineup. A Dish rep said they would pass the suggestion on to programming. Last week I checked that thread. It now has multiple pages of people asking for TV Land in HD and getting the same response by Dish. It's clear they don't listen to their customers and it's clear that DTV doesn't either.

Maybe it's time to stop using anything except online options.
Both DISH and D* have people that do look at these forums ....
That said, they do not make thier choices of what to do upon what an internet site(s) say as far as adding stuff, those are made by the stockholders and the ones making the BIG bucks.

Fwiw, in this instance I'm not sticking up for either (although as you can see I do have D*) iot's just a case that I don't expect D* to bring out a new anything just because DISH has something that thiers doesn't.
Nor do I expect it to go the other way around ... it just so happened that many were talking about the 5 tuner as being great not that long ago, now that DISH came out with something that does 6, does that make D*'s bad, No.

I don't expect the back in forth were better than you BS .... I don't think thats D*'s thinking at all, is it DISH's Mo, I don't think so.

Fwiw, D* has LNBs out that will handle up to 22 tuners, does DISH ?

Answer: I don't know.

Both DISH and D* have people that do look at these forums ....
That said, they do not make thier choices of what to do upon what an internet site(s) say as far as adding stuff, those are made by the stockholders and the ones making the BIG bucks.

Fwiw, in this instance I'm not sticking up for either (although as you can see I do have D*) iot's just a case that I don't expect D* to bring out a new anything just because DISH has something that thiers doesn't.
Nor do I expect it to go the other way around ... it just so happened that many were talking about the 5 tuner as being great not that long ago, now that DISH came out with something that does 6, does that make D*'s bad, No.

I don't expect the back in forth were better than you BS .... I don't think thats D*'s thinking at all, is it DISH's Mo, I don't think so.

Fwiw, D* has LNBs out that will handle up to 22 tuners, does DISH ?

Answer: I don't know.
I was talking about the actual, official Dish forum not this one. That's where I made my post about TV Land, and where I got the answer. Why don't they just say "we have no plans to add it at this time"? Oh, that would require honesty.

Having 5 tuners is certainly better than only 2 (or 3 in the case of the Hopper 2) but if you need more you can add more if you really need it. Dish allows it with a lease of a Super Joey or another Hopper. You can get to 6 tuners with one of them handling 4 channels during PrimeTime.

I'm not sure how many tuners Dish's LNB can handle but you seem to be off a bit on your understanding of the Hopper 3. It has 16 tuners not 6. And like the 2, it uses 1 for 4 channels during PrimeTime for an effective 19. If D* has one that can handle 22 I expect they need to come out with a box that uses most of them pretty soon or they will lose more business to Dish.

I still haven't made up my mind but it's getting clearer and clearer that Dish is pushing technology a lot more than D*.

I used to get a discount on D* because I worked for the company that invented it (before they invented it).

Dish doesn't yet, but there have been posts indicating they have new ones coming that will support 2 Hopper 3's. That's 32 tuners for the math impaired.... :)

D's Genie and E's Hopper were both steps in the right direction. E* not only brought out the Hopper, they wrote a whole new UI for it. IMO, that is what D* should have done with the Genie, it was the opportune time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my opinion but I think the AT&T merger caused major development in the Genie's to come to a stop. They have added some customer facing changes such as the internal GenieGo and reverse DBS band support, while there's been a bunch in changes making things easier for installers and support. Hopefully we'll be seeing the rumored new STB that is supposed to be more broadband friendly in customer testing by the end of the year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts