Want to connect more tvs and get rid of cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

djbtampabay

Dec 14, 2007
I currently have Directv HDR which is also connected to another TV in my house. Great picture works perfectly. (have to watch same channel but thats not an issue).

I have an additional 4 tvs which are currently served by cable tv . (cable tv runs throughout house running all 6 tvs as well )

Its Costing me a fortune to have both services and therefore my question is can i get the other tvs connected easily to Directv. The exterior connection box has 3 more ports available but does it mean i have to have boxes throughout the house to each tv ?

Sorry if this is a basic question but im not very techie so please be gentle.

Since all outputs are live on the Directv boxes, you could use the composite (red, white, yellow) outs and connect to a vcr input, converting it to coax. Then connect the vcr coax output to a distribution amp and send the signal to the other tvs. Make sure the tvs are set to the same channel as the output of the vcr, either channel 3 or 4. Of course, you would have to watch what is on the first tv, but you already know that.

Since all outputs are live on the Directv boxes, you could use the composite (red, white, yellow) outs and connect to a vcr input, converting it to coax. Then connect the vcr coax output to a distribution amp and send the signal to the other tvs. Make sure the tvs are set to the same channel as the output of the vcr, either channel 3 or 4. Of course, you would have to watch what is on the first tv, but you already know that.

Thats great. If i wanted to make 2 of the the other tvs independant can i do the same thing and just add 2 additional boxes. in other words can i use the existing wiring and connect 2 new boxes ?

Obviously i would get it proffesionally installed.

Drop DTV and switch to cable so you only have one bill. When you signed up for Directv you should have connected all TVs it would have been close to free. Now as an existing customer you will have to pay the lease upgrade fees and installation charges. To upgrade the 4 TVs to HD receivers will be in the range of $500-$600 for fees switches and labor.

Drop DTV and switch to cable so you only have one bill. When you signed up for Directv you should have connected all TVs it would have been close to free. Now as an existing customer you will have to pay the lease upgrade fees and installation charges. To upgrade the 4 TVs to HD receivers will be in the range of $500-$600 for fees switches and labor.

There is no way i will switch from DTV. The picture quality is far superior.

Perhaps i can renegotiate the additional boxes as i have had a contract for 4 years.

Will they be able to use the existing cable interior lines or do they need to run DTV cabling throughout the house?

Wow that was a pretty stupid answer. Nobody knows how long he has been with DirecTV. If he is out of contract and has been good about paying his bill, there is a good chance he can get his upgrade for free or minimal cost if he reups for 2 years.

There is no way i will switch from DTV. The picture quality is far superior.

Perhaps i can renegotiate the additional boxes as i have had a contract for 4 years.

Will they be able to use the existing cable interior lines or do they need to run DTV cabling throughout the house?

If you are out of contract and there are no bad marks on your account (playing retention games, lates, etc), there are definitely deals to be had. Just keep in mind there will be a new 2 year contract attached to them. As for reuse of the existing cable, it's a definite maybe. It depends on how the cable is run, and what kind of cable it is. If it snakes through the house with splitters everywhere, then no it can't be used. If it is RG-6 cable that has all the rooms coming back to a central spot, then it can be reused..

If you are out of contract and there are no bad marks on your account (playing retention games, lates, etc), there are definitely deals to be had. Just keep in mind there will be a new 2 year contract attached to them. As for reuse of the existing cable, it's a definite maybe. It depends on how the cable is run, and what kind of cable it is. If it snakes through the house with splitters everywhere, then no it can't be used. If it is RG-6 cable that has all the rooms coming back to a central spot, then it can be reused..

Never been late with a single payment and had service for 4 years.
I really like DTV the picture is stunning compared to my cable pic.
I wouldnt have a clue if its RG-6 Cable but i do think there are splitters going to a couple of rooms unfortunately.
I think i will contact DTV and see what they can offer me and the install guy can advise on cabling i guess.

thanks for the info .

It'll say printed along the entire length of the cable a bunch of things including either RG6 or RG59. If it's RG6, there is a much better chance that even if there are splitters that it can be used. But absolutely discuss it with the tech.

And if you don't get satisfaction from one phone rep as far as cutting a deal, hang up and try again. Since you're looking to ADD receivers and not just upgrade what you have, you stand a better chance of scoring a good deal. Upgrades don't give them additional money each month, adding receivers does!

It'll say printed along the entire length of the cable a bunch of things including either RG6 or RG59. If it's RG6, there is a much better chance that even if there are splitters that it can be used. But absolutely discuss it with the tech.

And if you don't get satisfaction from one phone rep as far as cutting a deal, hang up and try again. Since you're looking to ADD receivers and not just upgrade what you have, you stand a better chance of scoring a good deal. Upgrades don't give them additional money each month, adding receivers does!

Great info thank you.

My cables have lots of things written on them but cant see a RG no but can see a CAT 18 if that makes some sense?

Just to let you guys know i added an additional receiver to my set up. Works great and they installed and supplied for free with a small$6 monthly charge.
Thanks for the advice and info.

Did you only get one additional receiver? Have you dropped cable?

I decided to add an additional receiver and keep cable for the rest of the house. I didnt have room for receivers in each room and by the time i add in the additional $6 per tv and probable charge for at least a few receivers it didnt really work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)