Want to get a 622...lease or buy?

williamkmurphy

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Bills Country
I would like to get a 622. I already have a 211 on the 18 month commitment (1 year left). I am assuming I should buy the 622 mainly because I have no intentions on leaving dish network. The cable company is time warner which sucks, and if they added 2 HD channels every month for a year I would still have more channels with dish.

If i buy a 622 where should I get it from? Is there any warranty protection?

If I do buy a 622 can I send back my vip211 and not pay lease fees on the 211? Will this void my contract? I still plan on meeting the programming requirements. Or am I better off just keeping and using it upstairs (I really don't need tv in the bedroom)?

What are the associated fees with a purchased 622? There is a DVR fee correct? Does that go away if I upgrade to platinum...are locals included in platinum? Not that I need them but the unethecial bastards at dish won't decode the FREE program information provided by the local hd stations.

I shouldn't need anything else for a 622 if I already have a 211? I believe I am able to see 4 satellites. 61.5 on a seperate dish and 3 on the elliptical dish, I have 4 different lines of coax going into the switch from the roof. If I decide to connect both all i need to do is run another coax line to the output side of the switch? or do I need another power inserter and crap?

Dish is not selling 622's at the moment, may be able to upgrade to leased 622. Have to call as they are taken on a case by case senerio. You can purchase at DishStore, warranty should be 1 year and Dish offers warrantees, you can add at end of year. Additional fee could be dvr unless you have PlatinumHD. Subscribing to locals may not give you entire epg on your ota channels, same as with 211. Not sure about the committment requirements, but in reguards to your setup: sounds like you have a dpp44, you can use the dp seperator to hook into end of existing line to connect to both 622 tuners.

They are selling them for 529. You WILL NOT be able to upgrade to a 622 lease because of the 18 month commitment and you can only get one "promotion" within a year time period. I got my 211 in February. The guy told me I wouldn't be able to get one until Feb 07. I'm going to call back and see if i can pay the 299 instead of the 199 because I'm not sure how long I will keep Dish....

DishStore is still advertising them for $499 - not sure what the rest of the cost is, shipping maybe. That's where I got mine in early May and the shipping was free then. I also asked for a HDMI/HDMI cable which they included for $10 more. (The 622 comes with some worthless cables for composite video only - you'll need to buy the component or digital cables for HDTV on your own if you don't already have them.) Overall my experience with DishStore was quite positive, prompt service and e-mail responses.

If you're locked into a lease (I am with an 811) then purchasing the 622 is probably your only option other than breaking your current lease agreement at some cost then signing-up again for another one that includes the 622. I'm not sure how that would work, but I'm sure someone has done it!

One advantage of owning the unit is that you avoid the monthly lease fee, but the payback on that is very long, perhaps beyond the useful lifetime of the unit (shortened somewhat by inevitable future cost increases!). But you do have the flexibility of no commitment (related to the 622) and some programming options. The DVR fee is eliminated with the HDPlatinum package, and you can avoid the second receiver fee with a phone connection. It sounds like you have all the rest of the equipment you need. The 622 will give you the option for a second receiver "location" like your bedroom, but that will be only SD. If you want HD in that location you might want to stick with the 211...

I bought mine at Fry's Electronics. $485. Called to activate it and at first rep on the HD tech line tried to tell me it needs professional installation. I had to convince her with all the sat. lingo that it's installed, all 3 sats. are getting signal and she activated it for me. I told her to take the 311 off the account and now I got the 922 upstairs and the 811 down. The only part I don't like about the whole thing is that I got a C series 922. Not that its bad and it works fine but it's an older model. But I'm happy.

I haven't seen any proof that a "C" series 622 is different in any way from a "D" or "E" series. Sometimes these letters only identify which production run the unit came from, not that there were any changes to the system.

Thanks for the info. 499 to buy is a little steep in my opinion. Espically when a HD-A1 is the same price...decisions decisions. Has the 499 price been fairly consistent since February? Any idea if a price drop will be coming?

Tom Bombadil said:
I haven't seen any proof that a "C" series 622 is different in any way from a "D" or "E" series. Sometimes these letters only identify which production run the unit came from, not that there were any changes to the system.
The only difference I've read on here is the later series apparently run a bit cooler. If thats true or not, I dont know. Mine is avg 118 as of now. I just got a laptop cooler/fan sitting under it and the temp has dropped 1 degree in 3 days.

williamkmurphy said:
Thanks for the info. 499 to buy is a little steep in my opinion. Espically when a HD-A1 is the same price...decisions decisions. Has the 499 price been fairly consistent since February? Any idea if a price drop will be coming?
I got a 622 on Ebay for $415 and $30 shipping for a total of $445. Not a bad deal IMHO. :)

williamkmurphy said:

The original price was 799.

I am about to change to the 622 this week. They are just starting a new 18 mo. contract (I am only 5 weeks in to the current 211...)

At first the CSR said it would be a 3 yr deal, but her supervisor overruled her...

Just FYI. I was about to get one on Ebay, but I think the lease is better since the technology is changing so fast...

The reason I purchased my second 622 was that I already was leasing a 622 and at the time Dish would not let me lease a second one. I was a little hesitant about buying one, but given the price I got, $415, and the fact that whenever the 622 becomes obsolete Dish will probably provide an uprade path, it made sense to do it.

I know we're spooked over MPEG-4 - but do you really think the ViP622 could become obsolete anytime soon?

Barring a merger, of course. Or a Tivo court victory. Or....

Then again, maybe I'm glad I'm leasing.

Even at $500, IMO, it does not make sense to buy but YMMV. It would take about 4 years just to break even before savings kick in. Even if you stay with Dish that long chances are that by then it's either broken or obsolete :D

Buy ---> assumming ($500)

Lease --> $199 + 288 (48 months * $6 lease fee) = 487

Now if that is your only way to get a 2nd unit then it's another story. But for a first one I would lease

I bought my two 622s and I got trade in value on my and a friends old receivers so I only paid the equivalent of $450.00 for each 622 through dishdepot.com .

I plan to keep my 622s for a long while. I pay no lease fees and I can do what ever I want to with them. I can sub just or to locals or what ever programming I want to or just sd programming. Can you do that with a lease? I can trade them in when I want to on better newer receivers or sell them on E-bay. Can you do that with a lease? No is the answer to the above questions.

Buying does pay with more options in programming possibilities and the trade in value and resale value is very good. I have done trade ins on all my dish receivers since 2002 and have never paid full price for any of them. I will continue to own as it gives me all the possibilities you can't get with lease.

I got my 622 last month for $199 plus the monthly lease fee, minus $100 over ten months as part of some promotion that runs through Jan'07. Now I have an 811 that is not being used. Anyone want it?

You might want to save it. It may be worth something in some future promotion.

MikeD-C05 said:
I bought my two 622s and I got trade in value on my and a friends old receivers so I only paid the equivalent of $450.00 for each 622 through dishdepot.com .

I plan to keep my 622s for a long while. I pay no lease fees and I can do what ever I want to with them. I can sub just or to locals or what ever programming I want to or just sd programming. Can you do that with a lease? I can trade them in when I want to on better newer receivers or sell them on E-bay. Can you do that with a lease? No is the answer to the above questions.

Buying does pay with more options in programming possibilities and the trade in value and resale value is very good. I have done trade ins on all my dish receivers since 2002 and have never paid full price for any of them. I will continue to own as it gives me all the possibilities you can't get with lease.

Ok. ok you win. you win. :D

jk

You make good points though. There are pro's and con's to both buying vs leasing so YMMV.

:cool:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)