Want to get c band...need advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
Well now that i have my fta ku sat working, i'm about ready to tackle the c band world! BUT, i'm lost...what do i need? I'm looking at a 10ft mesh dish, but whats the difference between a mesh and a solid dish? which 1's better? What kind of motor do i need? lnb? Will my coolsat 6000 work on c band or do i need another receiver? I'm just getting started in the world of c band, and would like some people's advice as to what would be a good setup.

Check the Mesh and see if a pencil will go thru it ... if it doesn't the dish will be good on the ku side, but if just interested in C-Band it won't matter... 6000 should work, You will need a C-Band receiver or a V-box to move it check the Faq's...

A 10 ft mesh dish will work fine, especially if it's cheap or free :) Check the classifieds, craigslist, and freecycle. There are a lot of them out there.

Do you intend to use it for 4dtv also ?

You can use the 4dtv receiver to move the dish and control polarity of the lnb / lnbf. If not you will at least need an actuator arm to move the dish and either an old analog big-dish receiver to move the dish <OR> a V-box or similar unit to tell the actuator arm to move.

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like i need to do some reading! i've been thinking about a drive over to sadouns (bout 2hrs away) just to check it out and see what all i need since we don't have anyone around here that sells anything but E* OR D*
Thanks again!

When it comes to Cband a mesh dish is fine. A solid dish will not have any big improvement on Cband. However if you do want to receive Ku off the same dish. A solid dish would be better. Not so much in the fact that it has no holes like mesh but because the surface accuracy of solid dish is usually so much better. It is a common misconception that so long as the holes are small enough (actually less than a 1/4 wave at the frequency) it will be ok for Ku. But for Ku the wavelength is so much shorter, so therefore there is more refraction. As a rough analogy think of it as a sound wave. The longer bass wave kind of gets thru, like a sub woofer, it not critcal where you place it. There is less refraction but the tweeter, to hear the higher sounds best it must be an uninpeded path to your ear.
The good news is apart from the shear size of everything Cband is a lot more forgiving. Than the tighter tollerances of Ku.
Your reciever should be fine, so long as you can select 5150Mhz. as the L.O. frequency in the menu.
Good Luck
Steveo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts