Want to hear for former DishNetwork Subscibers on equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I have been with Dish for around 7-8 years and my one and only complaint with Dish is that The TV 2 output of the HD dvrs is only in SD. I currently have a 922HDDVR Dishes Flagship receiver. Before that I had a 722HDDVR and before that a 622HDDVR. I would like to hear the opinions of people that have switched to Direct from Dish concerning how happy are you with Directs equipment and it functionality. Let me explain it like this I would consider myself an advanced DVRist. I watch almost no shows live these days I record everything. There is over 90 timers set up in my DVR right now. So how user friendly, logical, and powerful the DVR is rank very high in priority to me. So I ask if you have used regularly a Dish 622,722,or 922 and are currently using say a HR24 or HR34HMC I would really value you opinion.

I have been with Dish for around 7-8 years and my one and only complaint with Dish is that The TV 2 output of the HD dvrs is only in SD. I currently have a 922HDDVR Dishes Flagship receiver. Before that I had a 722HDDVR and before that a 622HDDVR. I would like to hear the opinions of people that have switched to Direct from Dish concerning how happy are you with Directs equipment and it functionality. Let me explain it like this I would consider myself an advanced DVRist. I watch almost no shows live these days I record everything. There is over 90 timers set up in my DVR right now. So how user friendly, logical, and powerful the DVR is rank very high in priority to me. So I ask if you have used regularly a Dish 622,722,or 922 and are currently using say a HR24 or HR34HMC I would really value you opinion.

The Search function at the top of the page will probably give you a whole lot of people that your looking for.

Fwiw, the Directv HD DVR's allow 50 timers as you mentioned.
The HD DVR's allow you to add addl. External Hard Drives, via ESATA connections.

There are not many HR34's out just yet, so info on those that have them may not be as much as you might like.

I was a dish subscriber for over ten years, until switching a year ago. I thought I would be losing a lot going from E* to D*, but the opposite has occurred.

E* receivers were nice, but nothing, in my opinion, compares to the HR24-500 receiver. The receiver just works, no hiccups, no reboots, just works like it should. I love the new HD interface, the search feature is something that dish didn't really do anything with, but D* has and it is awesome. I have two HR24-500's and a H24. Do I wish I could have 90 timers like I could with D*?, I do, but between the two dvr's, I make it work. I have started making a fall/summer schedule spreadsheet and tailor my playlist to match. Kind of a pain in the as* when I first did it, but now it is easier to do.

If you are concerned about coming over to D* because of the DVR's, don't worry. I always wondered why people would leave E* for D*, now I see why.

Hope that helps. Come on over, the water is fine!!

OP, I don't know how many HD DVR's your planning to have, but you mentioned 90 timers, with 2 HD DVR's you can do just that and with the Whole Home set up you can watch things from either DVR.

I just switched and had a 922. Now I have a hr34 and (3)h25. Dont even remotely miss my 922. The hr34 has 100 timers you can setup recordings from the guide simply by pressing record once to single time or twice for season pass from any receiver. to delete a show or whole folder of that show you just hit the red shortcut button bamm its gone that was one of my biggest grips with 922 it was a major process to delete multiple shows or folders. The hr34 speed compaired is faster but it currently has the old gui. My h25's have the new gui they are almost to fast it thats possible. I never used sling much on the 922 it was flaky as best for me sometimes it worked fine sometimes it was soso. VOD is actually usable too everything its sorted in their own channel instead of pot luck all together and a terible search that the 922 had.

DISH vs DirecTV

I too was worried about the switch to Direct because I had heard such negative things about Direct equipment. None of it was true. I have three HR-24's set up in a Whole Home System. It works flawlessly. I just added a Direct-Cinema connection kit primarily to provide complete functionality with the I-Pad ap. I live in an area with a maximum internet speed of 1.5 mps, and I can still use the on-demand functions. Every experience I have had with DirecTV has been positive so far, and I can't imagine ever going back.

OP, I don't know how many HD DVR's your planning to have, but you mentioned 90 timers, with 2 HD DVR's you can do just that and with the Whole Home set up you can watch things from either DVR.

I just switched and had a 922. Now I have a hr34 and (3)h25. Dont even remotely miss my 922. The hr34 has 100 timers you can setup recordings from the guide simply by pressing record once to single time or twice for season pass from any receiver. to delete a show or whole folder of that show you just hit the red shortcut button bamm its gone that was one of my biggest grips with 922 it was a major process to delete multiple shows or folders. The hr34 speed compaired is faster but it currently has the old gui. My h25's have the new gui they are almost to fast it thats possible. I never used sling much on the 922 it was flaky as best for me sometimes it worked fine sometimes it was soso. VOD is actually usable too everything its sorted in their own channel instead of pot luck all together and a terible search that the 922 had.

Thanks! this is the exact kind of info I was looking for. I was thinking about a three HR24 set up to where all my tvs could have FFRW of live tv but the 50 timer limit nixes that idea as I sure do not want to have to actually go to the additional boxes to set timers. Good to know the HR34 allows a 100. And Skew I know what you mean about the VOD organization of the 922 and as far as Sling goes I find it pretty much useless. I only got the 922 with sling because Dish was supposed to be coming out with a slinging method of getting HD on TV2 with it. They have now droped that so I am looking at other means of getting HD on all my tvs now.

I have to say I find the whole signing up for satellite service very frustrating because you have to make what amounts to a two year $2500 commitment without even getting to see the product you will be renting before hand in action and if you get it and are completely displeased with it and want to cancel you will be out the $200 upfront fees and $480 in early termination fees. I know Dish is the same way but I also can not think of any other industry that works this way. This is why I am just trying to make sure I understand exactly what I am getting into.

If you like lots of timers, then doing it with 3 HRs is very doable. But the downside is that you have to go to each box and set the recording up on that box. I have a 3 HR24 setup now. That said, if you also have an iPad, the DirecTV app for it allows you to select which HR to send the recording to. And of course, with MRV, all recordings are available to all viewers regardless of which HR has them. MRV is a big plus for D*.

In the whole scheme of MRV the two missing pieces are being able to record on any HR from any other HR and having a combined 'to do list'. The missing combined 'to do list' irritates me more than any other thing with D*.

Overall the HR24 is as quick as the Vip series from Dish and has some great features and functions. Initially some of them will irritate as D* does do some things differently, but that is all it is, different.

I was a loyal E* subscriber for over 10 years. I switched to D* a little over a year ago. I have 2 HR-24s and MRV and the only thing that would make me happier would be the ability to see a combined "to do" list for scheduling recordings across the 2 DVRs. Whether talking about equipment, service, picture quality.... I have absolutely no regrets about making this switch and after doing it, I wish I'd done it sooner.

I've had Dish and Directv, twice each in the last 4 years (yeah yeah, I like to change a lot) and hardware is really just not something I miss from either. I think both the 722k and HR24 are excellent units, I like the menus/recording options/search better on directv than dish. IMO, Directv also gets the nod in PQ if that matters to you. I'd generally say, use whichever gets you the best deal, but dont swap expecting some huge increase or decrease in functionality. Directv's whole home is pretty cool, and their VOD is a lot better than Dish. Up until now the 722k with OTA tuner had em beat, but this new 5 tuner HR34 evens it back up again.

I'm a 3 year Dish sub, and am very interested in the HR34 setup. I have another 10 months to go on my contract though, so it will be a while before I can switch, but am really leaning towards pulling the trigger on D*, when my contract is up.
Between being here in NY and loosing all of my local sports teams, T.V. 2 being in standard def with the 722, and the Blockbuster streaming being useless, I am feeling it is time for another provider.

Up until know, Ive used a HDDVR from Dish/Directv AND a TiVo, because we record so much. The HR34 will allow me to cancel the TiVo and have everything on one box (WAF applies here as well).

Thanks! this is the exact kind of info I was looking for. I was thinking about a three HR24 set up to where all my tvs could have FFRW of live tv but the 50 timer limit nixes that idea as I sure do not want to have to actually go to the additional boxes to set timers. Good to know the HR34 allows a 100. And Skew I know what you mean about the VOD organization of the 922 and as far as Sling goes I find it pretty much useless. I only got the 922 with sling because Dish was supposed to be coming out with a slinging method of getting HD on TV2 with it. They have now droped that so I am looking at other means of getting HD on all my tvs now.

I have to say I find the whole signing up for satellite service very frustrating because you have to make what amounts to a two year $2500 commitment without even getting to see the product you will be renting before hand in action and if you get it and are completely displeased with it and want to cancel you will be out the $200 upfront fees and $480 in early termination fees. I know Dish is the same way but I also can not think of any other industry that works this way. This is why I am just trying to make sure I understand exactly what I am getting into.

You make good points ...

Years back when you could get these at local Box stores at least you could go in and play with the units to see how they worked before hand.

That said, I think you'll like what they are putting out now !

I switched a year ago. I have 2 HR24 DVRs where I used to have a 722 and a 622 with Dish. The DVRs are not quite as responsive or reliable as I had with Dish, but not alarmingly so. The DirecTV remote controls are not nearly as ergonomic as Dish's. Picture Quality is better with DirecTV. I have run into the timer limitation and struggle at times to manage both timer list priorities. I liked the old Dish remote timer management that Sling wrote for them which allowed me to manage both DVRs from one interface. Overall, I think the offerings are pretty similar with some minor differences, and both are overpriced. I am switching to Tivo with OTA antenna as soon as my contract is up.

-Ted

I switched a year ago. I have 2 HR24 DVRs where I used to have a 722 and a 622 with Dish. The DVRs are not quite as responsive or reliable as I had with Dish, but not alarmingly so. The DirecTV remote controls are not nearly as ergonomic as Dish's. Picture Quality is better with DirecTV. I have run into the timer limitation and struggle at times to manage both timer list priorities. I liked the old Dish remote timer management that Sling wrote for them which allowed me to manage both DVRs from one interface. Overall, I think the offerings are pretty similar with some minor differences, and both are overpriced. I am switching to Tivo with OTA antenna as soon as my contract is up.

-Ted

As mentioned previoiusly, D*'s recvrs do 50 Timers, unless your using the HR34.

I switched from Dish Network back in May 2011. I was using a 722K and a 922. I have been very pleased with the HR24 series of DVR receivers, I also have a H25 that I am very happy with. Last week I upgraded to a HR34 and it is excellent. I can't wait for the HD GUI on the HR34. I REALLY like MRV from DIRECTV, and I don't know how I got along without it on Dish Network. I now have the ability to record 7 streams at one time with the HR34 and the one HR24, plus I can watch something else if I want independently and in HD on the H25. If you are thinking about switching from Dish Network and worries about the equipment are all that are holding you back, you will not be disappointed. I have little love lost for the Dish equipment, especially the 922. Another great thing (so far) with DIRECTV has been the customer service, it is much better than anything I ever received from Dish Network.

I previously had a 622 and multiple 211s. Now with D* I have 2 HR24s and an H24.

As mentioned before it would be nice to be able to set timers for the other DVR.

Usually I set them with the iPad app or the H24 will let me set them for either DVR.

I also like the over lap of multiple recordings that occurred one after the other on the same channel. With E* I always had to watch them in broadcast order or you'd get the ends of other shows.

I have both providers, if you archive to EHDD then Directv's method bites compared to Dish where you can "hot swap" and use either or... plus you will need eSATA drives with Directv.

I'll take that a step further. The combo of the ever twitchy eSATA and the fact that it replaces and not adds to the HR makes it a terrible solution. Actually more like not a solution at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts