Want to hear what a ham satellite sounds like?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VO1ONE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
I'm eventually going to start a page with some recordings of satellite QSO's. Once I get my own recorder, one that doesn't interfere with my downlink radio, there'll be more such recordings. I have a recording that was emailed to me of part of a satellite pass today at 1720Z. This was recorded by EB4DEH, David of Madrid, Spain and has him in QSO with GI0KOV, Patrick of Derry, N. Ireland, 2E0BAT Angus putting out his callsign, and then myself VO1ONE in Newfoundland working GI0KOV before Patrick got cut off by the satellite telemetry. This was today on AO-27, which is in voice mode for 6 minutes per ascending pass. After the 6 minutes is up, it transmits telemetry in 1200 baud packet for one minute which is what the tones are that you hear at the end of the recording. For more information on AO-27, see http://www.ao27.org
Earlier in the pass, I also worked PH7PCF, 2E0BAT and F6BYJ. This is a pretty typical AO-27 pass for me. Without further ado, here's the recording:

http://www.freewebs.com/vo1one/ao27_180306_GI0KOV_VO1ONE.mp3

Hmmm can't get the link to work

Try right clicking on the link, pick Copy Link Location and paste it into your browser window. I'll make a TinyURL too so you can just copy and paste that.

http://tinyurl.com/z6mxa

brandon said:
Great recording! I'm always interested in hearing recordings from satellites. Also the EME stuff is interesting :)

I'll be sure to post more then as I get them! The FM sats are really quite easy to pick up with a 7 element 70cm beam, although smaller are being used and even omnis as I have discussed before with the AL800 for passes 10 degrees or better or turnstyle antennas.

EME (on topic I suppose since the moon is a satellite of Earth, right? :) ) has become easier than it was years ago. It is possible to make EME contacts with as little as 50 watts on a 70cm all mode radio into a single 70cm beam (of say 10+ elements). No huge arrays required! Same with 2m except 100 watts or better. This is now possible with a sound card digital mode called JT65 in the WSJT freeware program. The signals will likely be too weak for you to hear by ear, but the computer can pick them out allowing quite minimal stations to be used for EME. The stations you will work have the giant beams/dishes, power and preamps to make up a good chunk of the losses as well. This program is what does all the magic to make it possible; to open another facet of amateur radio to those who could not afford or don't have enough space for a traditional EME setup to get into the action.

Mark VO1ONE

Hi name here is joe,just curious if I could also pick up ham sat communications viamy Wineguard 33" dish and computer/and or Icom IC-T90A transceiver.Just one more thing I was thinking of doing with a nice size dish.Or maybe just set it up in my SUV with my laptop/Icom transceiver/ and vertical 1/2 wave antenna.
Also where is the website to download this program that works with soundcard to receive all of this amsat communications and other HAM related communications?
thanks again
Joe_33068 KC4TMG -General

Hi Joe,

Dishes are not commonly used in ham or other applications with frequencies as low as 70cm. It takes a pretty large dish before you really start seeing benefits on 70cm, and a dish so large would be difficult to turn fast enough to keep pointed towards a LEO satellite. Such an apparatus is generally only used for EME, or perhaps a HEO satellite application may reveal itself in the future. A 15m dish wouldn't be very practical to stick very high in the air for terrestrial work. Yagis are the antennas of choice for 70cm satellite operation, although you can get away with other types and even omnis. I guess you could stick a quarter wave 70cm antenna at your dish's focal point, but I wouldn't expect exceptional performance. Your dish would be best used for receiving or transmitting to satellites in the 23cm or 13cm and up. When P3E is launched, your Winegard dish will be very useful in receiving it with its 13cm (S band) downlink. You can fashion a 5 turn helix feed to place at the focal point and typically a downconverter would be placed behind or under it like on the arm of the dish. However, P3E will require a SSB radio, of which I don't think the T90 can do. Still, AO-51 is occaisionally in S band down mode and transmits FM. Also it has an L band uplink mode in which your dish would be useful for with an approriate feed.

Your T90 by itself with an appropriate antenna can work three voice satellites; AO-51, AO-27 and SO-50. A quarter wave whip eye poker can work AO-51 and AO-27 on high passes. The AL800 I've talked about before is an inexpensive, compact telescoping antenna which has done well on satellite passes above 7 degrees or so. A yagi is your best choice. You can buy an Arrow handheld yagi and get the one with the minidiplexer which lets you connect separate 2m and 70cm antenna leads to the one connector on your radio. A much cheaper homebrew version can be constructed by plans on the internet, try googling for XE1MEX. You can also homebrew the diplexer as well.

AO51 is in L band uplink mode today, and next week will be digital only, but it will return to VHF uplink/UHF downlink mode on Monday the 24th (or Sunday night on the first pass that hits Florida). AO27 you should be able to hear. It is only turned on for voice for 6 minutes at a time during ascending passes while it's over the middle third of the northern hemisphere. In other words, if you're listening for AO27 and you don't hear it right away, wait a couple of minutes, it will switch on and you'll hear packet for about 20 seconds.

Now, when you mention sound card with a computer, I'm assuming you're interested in the digital modes? AO-51 has a BBS which runs at 9600 baud most of the time, although sometimes it's scheduled for 38k4 (like all of next week!). 9600 baud can be done with a soundcard, but you have to tap the audio from your radios discriminator. Most "data ready" radios have this via a connector on the back, but HT's are not like this. You'd have to open up the radio and make the tap yourself! However, you can do 1200 baud via the speaker mic jack on the HT no problem. This is good for PCSAT-1 (when it's in daylight and operational), PCSAT2 although some of its packets are 9600, ISS (the space station) and maybe some others; not sure.

AGWPE is a program which you can use your computer's sound card to do packet with. You will need to construct a device which will allow your computers COM port to trigger your radio's PTT. I built one out of an optocoupler/optoisolator and it works fine; cheap and simple to do and keeps your radio isolated from the computer provided you're wiring the mic and speaker leads via audio isolation transformers as well. Not required to do I suppose, but it's a good idea to, preventing ground loops and the sort. If you want to operate AO-51 digital or even the other pacsats, you will need to download WiSP (Windows Satellite Program). WiSP can work with AGWPE but it's pretty tricky from what I understand. You have to create virtual com ports for the two programs to talk to each other, etc. It's something I've never tried and I'd have to refer you to the AMSAT-BB archives for exacts, but something tells me the taking apart of your HT and soldering wires inside of it will turn you off of trying to work AO51 with a digital mode! AGWPE is fine on its own with ISS and the two PCSATs although you might want to run it with APRS like UI-VIEW as many are using APRS on these satellites to chat, send posits and what not.

So, give the voice sats a try. AO-27 will probably be quite busy this weekend with the holiday and good weather for many. See if you can't hear it on a good, high pass. If you can hear it, don't be afraid to uplink through it too. We're all excited to hear new callsigns on the birds and you'll probably get a pileup, especially if you're in a rare grid. Hope this helps!

Mark VO1ONE

Hi Mark,thanks for all of the related info regarding "HAM-SATS" .I believe when I have the tie over the weekend I'll try and listen in maybe even QSL with someone on the AO-27 bird.My experience in HAM sats is not very much.I've done Telemetry receiving with an Alinco DR-110 and 2400 baud TNC along with....hold on to your hat!..LOL....an Apple IIC 128k computer many ,many years ago.Also tried the sat that you spoke of but only lasts for a few minutes and at the time I didnt have the required antenna to make a difference in the pile-ups.you be suprised how many hams would be up in the early morning hours(6-630am) just to throw there call sign out there across the ocean and be heard..LOL
Thanks again joe

I've heard them both ways. Some passes I've heard no one but myself coming through, not very often on AO-51, sometimes on AO-27 on those passes that just cover the easternmost states, the maritimes, the ocean and myself, and on SO-50 a bit more often. A couple days ago SO-50 was so busy that everyone doubled with each other trying to get in and the resulting interference was enough to block out the PL tone from the audio on the uplink, resulting in silence. AO-27 can get quite busy as well but without the PL tone its easier to tell when you're doubling with someone, however the Mexican pirates and cordless phones or the taxicabs in Spain come through loud and clear without the tone guard. AO-51 has a tendency of being hectic during peak times and passes where there's a lot of the continent in the footprint, but when it is in high power mode it's that much worse. All three of those satellites I typically run between 1 watt and 2.5 watts into a 3 element beam and that works FB. But when AO-51 is in high power mode, us QRP guys have a hard time. The ISS crossband repeater is even worse. Since it is so strong and given the very short periods of time it operates, even though the footprint is considerably smaller, it is still VERY congested. I was only able to make contacts on that when there wasn't quite so many people in the footprint. The ocean certainly helped me out a lot on that one. Still, I'd like to give it a go again. Between the last two times it was about 6 months so who knows when it (the ISS repeater) will come on again. Perhaps when PCSAT2's mission ends we will see it on more often.

I wasn't on very much this weekend due to the rain. Let me know if you heard any of the sats and made any QSOs.

Mark VO1ONE

Since I last posted this, KF4GTA has added another recording to his page. Same link 2 posts back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts