Want to purchase my 811, what to do?

ciscore

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Iowa
I'm a newb at most of this HD stuff. I got Dish about a month and half ago so that I could get some relatively cheap HD channels and use their 811 for OTA channels. I already get a great deal on cable so I've kept that and its run through my tivo currently. I want to dump all the Dish SD channels and just buy their HD. I've read that I can buy a receiver and pay ~$16/mo. for HD service only. But now with all the mpeg4 switching I dont know what to do. I dont want to pay ~$35/mo. for the SD channels I dont watch but I dont know if its worth it to buy the 811 right now. Also, do I need to buy my own dish in order to not be required to get all their SD?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

They wont activate 811 receivers for HD anymore. You would have to buy a new mpeg4 receiver and then get the new hd pack thats like $35. I was in the same boat as you but decided against such a large purchase and am sticking with cable.

kenny911 said:
They wont activate 811 receivers for HD anymore. You would have to buy a new mpeg4 receiver and then get the new hd pack thats like $35. I was in the same boat as you but decided against such a large purchase and am sticking with cable.
Actually, they will if you are already subscribed to the old HD pack.

YOu need to be subscribed the at least AT60 and HD pack to lease the 811, so if you are going to just keep the HD pack, you will need to purchase an 811(off ebay for whereever) hook it up, call and activate it, then have them deactivate your leased 811. After that, you should be able to drop everything but your HD pack, but just to make sure, call up dish and confirm this with advanced tech support.

RobertsD said:
Actually, they will if you are already subscribed to the old HD pack.

YOu need to be subscribed the at least AT60 and HD pack to lease the 811, so if you are going to just keep the HD pack, you will need to purchase an 811(off ebay for whereever) hook it up, call and activate it, then have them deactivate your leased 811. After that, you should be able to drop everything but your HD pack, but just to make sure, call up dish and confirm this with advanced tech support.
the only thing I'm worried about is that may only last for a year right? then I may be forced to get at least a 211? I just can't figure out the best way to go right now. I hate to be paying for the AT60 when I don't watch any of them because of my cable. So if I were to pick up a 211 off ebay...I see them going for around $300, I could drop the SD channels and get their HD pak for around $35/mo.?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts