Want to replace analog with DVB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fortyfives

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I currently have a 8.5 ft BUD with Corotor feedhorn and California Amplifier LNB. I have a GI analog IRD connected to it. I am interested in replacing the GI with a Pansat 2700 A FTA box. Will the pansat work by itself with my dish and feedhorn ? I really don't want to slave it to the GI. I noticed from a photo of the pansat that it has connections on the back for a servo motor. I know that I will have to buy a separate box to connect to the actuator, but that's ok with me.

So, guys, will it work or will I have to replace the feedhorn?

Thanks,

John

Pansat 2700

The pansat 2700 will work since it has polarity servo connections. But you know there is still a lot of analog feeds up there. You will be missing out on a lot from G3, G4, T6, T5, G11. Lots of sitcoms, soaps, and news.

Assuming your old analog IRD is still in good shape and working properly, it already moves the dish so slaving would work well. You may want to upgrade to a c-band LNBF. This way polarity is switched by coax voltage 13v veritcal and 18 volts horizontal.

I do not know if your analog receiver has provisions for volt switching polarity.
My orb-7500 does have an "LNBF" option in the RF setup menu. So what I did was use a two way splitter the power passing on both ports. I split the lnbf signal from my 8.5 foot SAMI BUD to both receivers. I use the orb-7500 to move the dish and save positions of sats. To be sure there is not a collision with the splitter over polarity since the lnbf will always choose the higher voltage (horizontal) even if one receiver is sending 13volts into the line, and the other is sending 18v into the line, Make sure the pansat is turned off when surfing with the analog box.

If you are surfing with the pansat, be sure the analog box is tuned to a "vertical" channel, this way the pansat can switch between high and low volts to get proper polarity.

After all this happens, the s-video and audio cables feed an auto selecting A/V switch that then converts the signal to channel 4 and is distributed to all of my tv's. Both my pansat 2500A and orb-7500 have UHF remotes so I can use them all over the house. When I want to watch the orb-7500 analog receiver, I just switch off the pansat-the video switch goes straight to the analog box. When I want mpeg-2 dvb, I use the orb to postion the dish and then turn it off. Turn on the pansat and voila!! I have dvb.

Its easy after you get used to coordinating the remote controls. And to spice things up a bit I have a US digital HD terrestrial receiver for my SD and HD local programming feeding the auto select video switch. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)