Want to upgrade equipment

Jax Tom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I know I'm paying too much but I like the service/interface and I'm dealing with WAF (wife approval factor) issues. She wouldn't want to leave DirecTV. But I do have pretty old equipment. I'd like to get new equipment from one end to the other.

I have a HR-44-700 and two C41W Genies. The HR-44 has one of the standalone wifi bridges. I've been on the service for like 20 years and have the Equipment protection plan. Any 2 year commitment I was on is long past.

My dish is old and rusted. My wiring (I believe) tapped into old cable tv wiring and ends up in a closet. I run coax from there to my HR-44. Since the new receiver doesn't actually connect directly to a TV, I'd like the wiring to go to a new location and not into that closet.

So what's the best route? Just call DirectTV? Any reason DirecTV wouldn't give me new equipment end-to-end? I see people talking about going thru 3rd parties. Any reason to go that route?

Call 1-855-422-1614 Mon - Fri during normal business hours. This will connect you to a DIRECTV Protection Plan CSR. Explain to them what you're looking for. Be sure to schedule your appointment in the morning. If you schedule your appointment in the afternoon and the tech is behind schedule, he may not get to you, and you'll have to reschedule.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Unfortunately, D* doesn't really have any NEW Equipment to speak of to upgrade you to ...
You have a HR44, I had a HR44 and it worked Great, I eventually did upgrade to the HR54 because it could do 4k, IF you also added a C61k client.
Overall, my stuff has run very well, however it is OLD ...

They Do have a newer option out, the HS17 Server, however, you cannot use your older recvrs with it, Everything has to be on the Server with Clients ... I tailgate and use D* when Camping, so I cannot use the HS17 .... I Need an actual recvr, clients all work off the servers.

They Do have a new item out, the Gemini, but I don't know enough about it, other than that it Also works with the Server Only, so it won't help in my situation.

I believe I have been talked into upgrading to a wireless/Genie2 setup a few times. But with all the glitches it seemed to have had (It was around 2019/20), I didn't really see that as a viable option. My current setup is still quite reliable today, as it was when I first got it almost seven years ago.

I've still got HR24's running and those were Upgraded from the HR20's and before that ......

For those unaware :
HR10 and RCA 222 .... is where it all started ... yikes.

And a few others scattered in there ... Had a Sony HD at one time unsure of the model, maybe the HD100 ???

OK the HS17 is what I'm talking about. " however, you cannot use your older recvrs with it". I don't have any. If I had a Genie on all 3 of my TV's, I'd be ok with that.

So no added benefit to going with a third party?

OK the HS17 is what I'm talking about. " however, you cannot use your older recvrs with it". I don't have any. If I had a Genie on all 3 of my TV's, I'd be ok with that.

So no added benefit to going with a third party?
you would have a genie mini on all tvs, the hs17 has no output.

You could try Solid Signal, they seem to be quite a reputable third party dealer and be better at answering any questions you may have than the DirecTV CSRs.

But would I have to actually pay for the upgrade with them? I get it "free" from DirecTV right?

But would I have to actually pay for the upgrade with them? I get it "free" from DirecTV right?
Yes you would have to pay for it thru Solid Signal ...
While D* may do it free, Solid Signal would allow you to get the recvr (s) that you Want (provided it works in the combo you want)

If your just looking for the HS17 Server, you'd need to use a Client with it on any TV ....
If you are new to D*, its not hard for you trying to make recvrs work ....
If your an existing sub, then you have to determine what will work with whatever you already have.

It's not really cut and dried. In a lot of cases you'll pay the exact same for an installation through Solid Signal that you pay by going straight through a provider: nothing. But what if you want more than just the "free, standard installation?" Most of the time the installers sent by the companies themselves just won't do it. Sometimes you'll find a person who will do what you want, for some cash under the table. (They shouldn't try to hustle you but there are good people and bad people everywhere.)

On the other hand, if you really want a personalized install, and you want exactly the equipment you want, a dealer can do things that DIRECTV or DISH won't. They'll get you a quote for the installation you actually want, and they'll ship you the equipment you specifically choose ahead of time.

It's your choice, it's all in how you want things to go. 99% of folks go for the free install and don't care what they get. But would you be visiting this site if you were one of those people?

I may try again later. The call was VOIP and crappy and the guy sounded like he was overseas and I didn't feel like fighting the language barrier today.

• Sad
I may try again later. The call was VOIP and crappy and the guy sounded like he was overseas and I didn't feel like fighting the language barrier today.
call 1 800 531 5000 and say cancel a service when the robot asks what you wanna do that will take you to the loyality explaine to them what you wanna do and they will chime in to the overseas worker