Want to upgrade...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

flamingtaco

Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I called Dish to get a 2TV DVR unit, and they wanted to charge me $49 because I only have a 1TV receiver (JVC 4900). I then sought a single DVR unit to add to my system, and they told me that it would incur a charge of $29 for self-install, and my bill would go up $10.98/mo.

What is up with not being elligible for any of the packages they list as available to you when you log in? I felt rather slapped in the face since new customers can get the 2TV DVR for free, (So much for maintaining a loyal customer base).

My needs are simple. I want to be able to select two different channels for viewing, and I want DVR on at least one of the TV's. Seems like Dish wants to hit me with equipment rental and DVR fees, and the equipment charge they just pulled out of the air.

What is the cheapest solution outside of cancelling and signing up under my wife's name?

I self-installed the initial system, a Dish500 Twin (I am fairly certain - I remember mounting a ground block, and I do not recall having switches). The antenna looks like this one:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/installation/install-3.pdf

Dish's upgrade section doesn't even list a single DVR unit. Am I to presume I am SOL in this respect? Just have to eat the bullet and order the upgrade to the 625? And if so, will I get stiffed with other hidden fees and charges they failed to properly identify?

No, I do not want to switch to another provider as it would cost us significantly more for a similar package.

Thanks for the help!

DVR-625 serves 2 rooms

I guess the CSR did not understand your needs properly. Why do you want to keep the old 4900 and also add a 2-room DVR, unless you want to view E* from 3 rooms?.

The extra 10.98 that you were told breaks up to:
1. 5.98 for the DVR fee (all DVR customers starting with 510 pay that, unless your programming is AEP - America's everything pack)
2. 5.00 lease fee for the 2nd receiver.

$49 is the standard upgrade fee, since the install of a 2-room receiver needs a little extra work to supply 2 tvs with different programming. Also, in your case, I suspect that your satellite dish not a DishPro equipment and will have to be upgraded to a Dish 500 dish. So, please call back and tell them that the new 2-room receiver will be the only one. Then, your monthly prog. costs will go up only by 5.98 (DVR fee), rather than 10.98

Alternatively, send an e-mail to ceo@echostar.com with your request. they may waive the DVR fee for 3-6 months to lessen the costs.

I called Dish to get a 2TV DVR unit, and they wanted to charge me $49 because I only have a 1TV receiver (JVC 4900). I then sought a single DVR unit to add to my system, and they told me that it would incur a charge of $29 for self-install, and my bill would go up $10.98/mo.

What is up with not being elligible for any of the packages they list as available to you when you log in? I felt rather slapped in the face since new customers can get the 2TV DVR for free, (So much for maintaining a loyal customer base).

My needs are simple. I want to be able to select two different channels for viewing, and I want DVR on at least one of the TV's. Seems like Dish wants to hit me with equipment rental and DVR fees, and the equipment charge they just pulled out of the air.

What is the cheapest solution outside of cancelling and signing up under my wife's name?

I self-installed the initial system, a Dish500 Twin (I am fairly certain - I remember mounting a ground block, and I do not recall having switches). The antenna looks like this one:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/installation/install-3.pdf

Dish's upgrade section doesn't even list a single DVR unit. Am I to presume I am SOL in this respect? Just have to eat the bullet and order the upgrade to the 625? And if so, will I get stiffed with other hidden fees and charges they failed to properly identify?

No, I do not want to switch to another provider as it would cost us significantly more for a similar package.

Thanks for the help!
Wake up and smell the coffee YOU ARE AN EXISTING CUSTOMER you don't get new customer offers. DISH has many lease return receivers so they have DVR510s in inventory they can upgrade customer to if they want a single tuner DVR it will work with your Legacy Twin that you must have with a 4900 receiver. A DVR 625 as the only receiver on your account would also work with the Legacy Twin. A DVR 625 and a 4900 won't work with a Legacy Twin you would need a Legacy Quad to provide the 3 outputs needed to run the 3 tuners. Maybe your best deal will be to have your wife sign up as a new customer.

I felt the same way. So, I cancelled my old account and opened a new account with my mom's name, as well as, mine. Like others said, they are trying to get new customers. Once they have you, No more specials or very little specials. If you are out of contract, then I would say... screw them, and open an account with your wife's name as well as your's. When you go ahead and order the new service, just act stupid and don't say anything about your old account.

I felt the same way. So, I cancelled my old account and opened a new account with my mom's name, as well as, mine. Like others said, they are trying to get new customers. Once they have you, No more specials or very little specials. If you are out of contract, then I would say... screw them, and open an account with your wife's name as well as your's. When you go ahead and order the new service, just act stupid and don't say anything about your old account.

:rolleyes:

Yes this is America, home of the Brave, everything for free!
Get Stuffed!:mad:

Dish_dtv - It's not that I want to use the 4900, I'm just looking for the cheapest route to change to 2TV and DVR. The 4900 is mine, so if it will help me achieve my goal with less cost, I'll use it.

Does the 2TV DVR cover dish incompatibilities, or is it a receiver upgrade only? I am totally confused about their upgrade, because they leave out a lot of info, and the options they post, at least for me, were not what are available to me.

Maybe it will help if I outline my call:

Somebackground: I self-installed the 4900 in 2000, and ran four lines. I also ran S-Video, composite, and Audio lines from each room to the attic, where I have switch boxes, amps and splitters, so I can send signals in any direction. For me to upgrade, there is no "installing" to be done, unless I need a new dish or LBNF's, which I can accomplish in short order.

I asked for the 2TV DVR $19 self-install listed as an option on the Dish'n It Up page I accessed while logged in at their website. I was told it had to be installed by a professional ($49). I told them I AM a professional (EE), that I will install it myself, and that I sleep during the day and therefore would be greatly convenienced to have someone in my house during business hours. The CSR tells me their system won't let them key this receiver for a self-install, but she doesn't have an intelligible reason now. I requested a supervisor (but probably got another CSR) who told me they can't ship the 625, only the installers have them. I asked why the self-install option would be listed if it's not available, and get put on hold. After hold, the story changes again. I have a 1TV receiver, and I have to pay more to upgrade to a 2TV receiver they tell me. They can now magically ship it to me, and the cost to go from 1TV to 2TV would be $49. Already in "being scammed" mode, I ask how much professional install would be for this setup. $49. Hmm... both self and professional install are $49?

Had they given me a straight-forward and valid reason right from the start, the conversation would have ended with "Thanks for upgrading me". The CSR's must be the mortal enemy of Dish's business development teams.

Thanks for the help!

Boba- Thank you, Captain Obvious! Did my post read to you like I am looking for a free ride? I reserve the right to express disdain over Dish's business model of ignoring churn in search of the holy grail of new sales (they deserve it, don't deny), but this should not convict me of being free-loading bum. My post focused on methods of installation, not how I can get around their contract language.

Wake up and smell the coffee YOU ARE AN EXISTING CUSTOMER you don't get new customer offers. DISH has many lease return receivers so they have DVR510s in inventory they can upgrade customer to if they want a single tuner DVR it will work with your Legacy Twin that you must have with a 4900 receiver. A DVR 625 as the only receiver on your account would also work with the Legacy Twin. A DVR 625 and a 4900 won't work with a Legacy Twin you would need a Legacy Quad to provide the 3 outputs needed to run the 3 tuners. Maybe your best deal will be to have your wife sign up as a new customer.

you are stupid. he could easily cancel and sign up with his wifes name and get better deals.

dishnetwork has to be losing money on these "re-do" installs. I'm having one done as we speak. The technician is replacing perfectly good dishes with the exact same ones and redoing all the cabling just because dish doesnt want to give me the deals new customers can get. I signed up in my wife's name, got a free dvr and a rebate. It just doesnt make sense to remain a customer and suffer under dish networks horrible policy towards existing customers.

you are stupid. he could easily cancel and sign up with his wifes name and get better deals.

dishnetwork has to be losing money on these "re-do" installs. I'm having one done as we speak. The technician is replacing perfectly good dishes with the exact same ones and redoing all the cabling just because dish doesnt want to give me the deals new customers can get. I signed up in my wife's name, got a free dvr and a rebate. It just doesnt make sense to remain a customer and suffer under dish networks horrible policy towards existing customers.
No, you are the stupid one. There would be no Dish, Direct, Comcast, whatever if they gave all their equipment away. You need to get some business education. AND you need to stop cheating the system. If you don't have the money, then do something so you can EARN it. Don't be as slacker!

No, you are the stupid one. There would be no Dish, Direct, Comcast, whatever if they gave all their equipment away. You need to get some business education. AND you need to stop cheating the system. If you don't have the money, then do something so you can EARN it. Don't be as slacker!

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. They own the business, and make the rules. If they don't want to lose customers, they need to treat the ones they have better.

This man is not cheating the system. He's working within the system that DISH created with their short-sighted management policies.

DISH is doing the same thing that the cell companies do. Offering perks to reel you in as a new customer, as long as you'll chain yourself to them. Then they squeeze you until you squeal.

They'll make their money back in spades.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. They own the business, and make the rules. If they don't want to lose customers, they need to treat the ones they have better.

This man is not cheating the system. He's working within the system that DISH created with their short-sighted management policies.

DISH is doing the same thing that the cell companies do. Offering perks to reel you in as a new customer, as long as you'll chain yourself to them. Then they squeeze you until you squeal.

They'll make their money back in spades.

How old are you?

you are stupid...

You have posted a whole 5 times and you have the gall to call him stupid? I do believe he has a bit more authority to his words than you do at this point. And surely knows how to treat those who are senior posters here! :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts