Wanted 10-250 got HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
I am currently a bit upset, and am not at home so I will give much more insight later. Installer was 1.5 hrs late to kick off with. I had a feeling this was coming. We specifically asked for 10-250 and the CSR read it back to us. Instead we got the new HR20-700. He was shocked that we got it A)for free and B) I was dissapointed. So we will see. I hd to get back to work for now, but will play with it later. He claims I am THE FIRST in Indianapolis. DTV rep was shocked to hear we got that box today. I am not really believing we are the first but we will see.
My biggest deal right now is the HD local bit. My #1 and ONLY reason for wanting the HR10-250 was to RECORD local's in HD. Now I CANNOT even get them via OTA, cannot diplex into AT9, and Indy currently only has 2 locals in HD 2! No CBS or Fox, oly ABC and NBC. Nice to have them over sat, but I want them all. THEN I was told that even once the OTA tuner is "turned on" sometime in next 2 months that I WILL NOT be able to record from that! Oh and to top it off, in order to continue getting the locals in HD via satellite that I MUST have the HD package. This is NOT RIGHT! So they are going to FORCE me to pay 10 bucks a month or I can't record locals in HD?! I hope I am just getting some conflicting and very wrong information. Oh and the AT9 is at the peak of gable on side of house where 3-LNB once was. He was "iffy" on putting it there, so we shall see.

I can see why you are upset given the fact that you won't be able to get either CBS or FOX in HD. I hope you're not a football fan!

I do think you were given some misinformation about having to have the HD package to get the locals in HD, and being able to record the locals once they are turned on in the HR20. If you call D* back and explain it, I would think they would swap it for an HR10. No doubt someone here will offer to trade you!

HUGE football fan, but won't be recording any games, more worried about primetime shows. Most will think I am a fool for wanting the 10-250 over the HR20, and am starting to realize this. Especially with future rollouts. If I hear a SET time for Indy's HD rollouts COMPLETELY, and wether I can or cannot record OTA I will be more at ease. Wife says box is very fast and she likes the guide and menus. I have yet to touch it except in box to drool over it. Hope this gets better. I have a long night of "playing" with this thing. Can't wait to see the monstrosity of the AT9 on roof as well.

WHOA WHOA WHOA. I wish there was a way to project my anger, disgust, and dissapointment today. I was so excited last night and this morning to be getting the hr10-250 I almost couldn't sleep. But now, after a HORRENDOUS day of install and just an overall "bad gut feeling" I am here. On opening night of football I am disgusted enough to come on a forum and tell you guys about my HR20. No make that I am here to WARN you about it.
To prevent myself from writing 7+ paragraphs I will try and keep this somewhat shortened. But believe me it's hard.
I will go ahead and get plus' out of the way because it is a MUCH shorter list. Okay, uh the blue circle light is pretty neat to watch go in circles. MPEG4 ready. Uhh the guide is pretty fast. "Instant" weather and lotto numbers. Let's see, did I mention the blue circle thing?
As a little quick warning, I am coming from DTivo's so while I was spoiled by the "common sense" of those boxes, I was VERY open to trying this box and it's ways. Unfortunately not longer than 2hrs. Oh also, the manual sucks and I have found 3 things wrong already, so there is a chance I may be wrong some places. God I hope so. Ready? Cannot change tuners on fly to see what is recording or being viewed on other one. Which would allow 2 buffers on 2 shows. No JUMP button! So if you rewind quite abit to see something and want to get to "live tv" while recording NOPE. Oh also, no "live tv" type button. Also I will tie into there being no "resume play" of a recorded show. So if you stop a show 45 mins into it and forgot to pause and put a "bookmark" (puke) then you get to start over from beginning and FF to where you think you left off. Of course no OTA tuners are activated. No diplexin ANT into new AT9 sat. NICE! Thanks. By the way, my signal for the 99* and 103* sat is 72 and 45. So I am sure HD locals will last real long in a rain! Thanks again. Audio will "dissapear" if you FF & Rev too much. Have yet to find a way to get it back. Also picture will break up and pixelate if you do too much also. Oh and this is while using all of 2hrs. What a future I see with this thing.
Trust me there is more, but I just can't anymore. Directv and it's installer has ruined my day, my night, my mood. All I wanted was to keep my 3-lnb dish and record locals OTA. Guy could have walked to the door UPS style and handed me the HR10-250 and I would have been extatic. Instead I had a day of HORROR. Thanks again DTV. Now I get to climb up there and take it down since of course diplexing doesn't work to get my antenna back. At least I can look forward to the day the pre-paid box for this pile comes and I recieve the HR10-250.
UNBELIEVABLE. Again, I dispise this box enough to miss opening night of the NFL. That HAS to say something.

I have found that diplexing antenna in IS working with AT9. I read elsewhere that it did not, installer also said "sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't" because of the new sat. AH HAH! Maybe this si why my local sat is real low. he said the ka freq occupies same as OTA antenna. So atleast WHEN I go to the HR10-250, i can keep that monster up there. I do have a good signal on reg sats.

asousa said:
I will trade you straight up for my HR10

If it were that easy I would man. but yours would be used, and the whole access card thing. They told me I can swap this one. They will send me a shipping box, and credit me for price of 10-250 at best buy. I am telling you, the slower guide speed and menus is WELL worth it on the 10-250. I am having so much trouble TRYING to like this thing.

And didn't I see that you can turn off the blue circle of lights on front? My Lord! It's cool to watch it go in a circle, but it gets old. Oh and I also can't find a way to edit my channels. Seriously. Favorites, and all channels is it. It takes you to where that option is "supposed" to be, but you cannot slect and deselect channels.

GB33 said:
If it were that easy I would man. but yours would be used, and the whole access card thing. They told me I can swap this one. They will send me a shipping box, and credit me for price of 10-250 at best buy. I am telling you, the slower guide speed and menus is WELL worth it on the 10-250. I am having so much trouble TRYING to like this thing.
I think I read awhile back that when the MPEG4 stuff, LNB 99 and 103 were not being used that the diplexer would work fine.

Did you really expect to learn how this all works exactly on the very first day ?
You are already doing what many of us figured would happen, See that it's NOT a TIVO and not give it a chance , try learning how it works and let us know what you do not like and what you do like, remember you are one of the 1st to have this unit.

Once you have it figured out and get use to it, let us know how it works, of course you may not have it long enough ....
It's sad you can spend that much money and not try to see if it is worth it.
I understand it is not what you ordered, but I would have not accepted the unit when it was delivered, called D* and tell them you want the correct one sent out the next day.... Don't you have the HR10-250 's available at the local BB or CC that you couuld pick up right from your local area ?, that way you could get it up and running quicker thanD* would. Call D* ahead of time and they will probably credit you the amount you paid for it.

Any one that does NOT have a TIVO and does have the HR20 have any opinions of the unit so far ????

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
I think I read awhile back that when the MPEG4 stuff, LNB 99 and 103 were not being used that the diplexer would work fine.
I already responded to this. i remembered the installer mentioning it. No biggie, unless I keep this thing and wanted to have OTA. And with only 2 are HD's available, that is going to happen.

Jimbos said:
Did you really expect to learn how this all works exactly on the very first day ?
You are already doing what many of us figured would happen, See that it's NOT a TIVO and not give it a chance , try learning how it works and let us know what you do not like and what you do like, remember you are one of the 1st to have this unit.
I cleary made reference to that. I WANT to like this thing. But it doesn't look good.

Jimbos said:
It's sad you can spend that much money and not try to see if it is worth it.
I understand it is not what you ordered, but I would have not accepted the unit when it was delivered, called D* and tell them you want the correct one sent out the next day.... Don't you have the HR10-250 's available at the local BB or CC that you couuld pick up right from your local area ?, that way you could get it up and running quicker thanD* would. Call D* ahead of time and they will probably credit you the amount you paid for it. .
MUCH MUCH MUCH easier said than done. After waiting in excitement since last night, it was very hard despite my gut telling me to send it back. I had already wasted and stressed for 3.5 hours of the "2hr window". So no I wasn't going to say, "sure, reschedule me for another screw job! And DTV did note that they will send a prepaid box and credit me the purchase price of an HR10-250.

Jimbos said:
Any one that does NOT have a TIVO and does have the HR20 have any opinions of the unit so far ????
To me this translates to something like this: "Anyone here never had an excellent prime rib steak and care to tell me how great McDonalds double cheeseburgers are?"
This software, which I am willing to grow with and deal with, is just plain ugly. User interface is ugly, sloppy, and just doesn't make sense. I KNEW it would be uncomfortable and take some adapting. But it really is just unpleasant and cumbersome. I like tv to be enjoyable and not an "oh no I have to use this thing" type of ordeal. I Am going to give it a couple of days, i want to give it a chance, hopefully an update of software that has features not working per instructions, and hopefully a good rain this weekend. I am also posting on other sites at same time trying to get more info.

GB33 said:
I already responded to this. i remembered the installer mentioning it. No biggie, unless I keep this thing and wanted to have OTA. And with only 2 are HD's available, that is going to happen.

I cleary made reference to that. I WANT to like this thing. But it doesn't look good.

MUCH MUCH MUCH easier said than done. After waiting in excitement since last night, it was very hard despite my gut telling me to send it back. I had already wasted and stressed for 3.5 hours of the "2hr window". So no I wasn't going to say, "sure, reschedule me for another screw job! And DTV did note that they will send a prepaid box and credit me the purchase price of an HR10-250.

To me this translates to something like this: "Anyone here never had an excellent prime rib steak and care to tell me how great McDonalds double cheeseburgers are?"
This software, which I am willing to grow with and deal with, is just plain ugly. User interface is ugly, sloppy, and just doesn't make sense. I KNEW it would be uncomfortable and take some adapting. But it really is just unpleasant and cumbersome. I like tv to be enjoyable and not an "oh no I have to use this thing" type of ordeal. I Am going to give it a couple of days, i want to give it a chance, hopefully an update of software that has features not working per instructions, and hopefully a good rain this weekend. I am also posting on other sites at same time trying to get more info.

Cool,
Let us know what you figure out, if it really is this bad, that is not good news, but if it's a case of getting use to it, thats another thing.
Looking forward to your updates :)
Good or Bad ....

Jimbo

I have confirmed "jump" like features and "resume play" as well. Though still much more cumbersome than smooth flowing COMMON SENSE approach of Tivo. I honestly feel, in the long run, DTV will have chased off customers by breaking away from Tivo based DVR's.

GB33 said:
I have confirmed "jump" like features and "resume play" as well. Though still much more cumbersome than smooth flowing COMMON SENSE approach of Tivo. I honestly feel, in the long run, DTV will have chased off customers by breaking away from Tivo based DVR's.

I am willing to put up with a unit like this.....but it should have been out a long time ago if it's not going to offer any advantages over what cable companies and dish have had out for a long time to record all hd content.

GB33 said:
Although it looks like they could have done better, keep in mind they were not allowed to use the same a TIVO items due to potential lawsuits for infringment on thier patient.
They came to an agreement with TIVO to continue supporting it...
D*'s objective is to get away from TIVO so that the money that is made by the DVR fees will go to D* instead of someone else (TIVO) I don't remember the exact breakdown, but it was something like $ 3.50 out of the $5 went to TIVO, per sub. so D* wanted to make thier own DVR without being able to use the TIVO software or features.

Hopefully it becomes more user freindly as you go along.
I remember looking at my H-10 remote when I first got it and did not like it at all, I thought everything was small and would never get use to it, Now that I know where everything is, I like it.

Jimbo

I will not use the remot, long term. I use Harmony putting buttons where I want them. But haven't taken time to program this as I do not want to waste any more time. But things are SLIGHTLY improving. So we shall see.

GB33 said:
rkr0923 said:
LOL all this wait and it's junk...........just as I figured
It's amazing how much over-hype there is (not to mention loyalty) for the Tivo software. I still remember when it came out for the first time, and much of the feedback was "its too complicated" or "how is anyone supposed to figure this out" - of course, that was in the day of the VCR.

Now it appears some tree-hugger loyalists can't function in life without their Tivo. Kinda like the Starbucks addicts.

What's interesting is that what really made Tivo popular for some time was its simplicity. Again, that was in the day when typical users didn't know how to use the Internet. Problem is, that has been it's downfall - not enough enhancements, bug fixes, and new technology provided over the years. That's why there's been a cottage industry of "hacks" and "tweaks" - because Tivo itself failed to properly evolve. I personally felt the software GUI remained too "dumbed down" for today's more sophisticated users.

Now we have only about 30 days of life for the new software running on the new HR20 HD DVR's - only time will tell if it becomes accepted as well or better. Based on the huge demand for these newest HD boxes, it would appear that Tivo isn't the end-all or best-thing-since-sliced-bread software solution that some make it out to be. To me, the fact that some cable outfits are adopting it almost reaffirms that Tivo may be near its last breath. If it wasn't for the recent Comcrap deal, Tivo would be in Bankruptcy Court right now.

I just Got a HR20-700 on Wendsday and I like it. I have had 2 Dish DVR's a 501 and 522. I also have had a replayTV PVR (which is great). I think the UI is fairly good. The big difference I see is that is seems to use menus much more than popups. I many ways I like this better. I see all the option right off the bat and know exactly what I am setting up. With dish they would pop up a message that had an options button. I found myself always have to go to that option button to get the recordings right. I also like the use of tabs on the UI. This gives them the ability to put all the options on one screen as opposed to several like Dish.

Now I have never used Tivo at my home. I have played with it at a friends house and I personally did not like it. I am an engineer so I like to have full control with the Tivo it always seemed to try to "guess" what I wanted as opposed to letting me tell it what I wanted.

Maybe that is what it comes down to. If Tivo "thinks" like you, you love it and cannot live without it. For me Tivo seemed to try to do more than I wanted it to.

Satmeister - I agree whole heartily but you sort of lost me with the "Starbucks addict" comment LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)