Wanting Direct TV at Campground

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hello,
I'm new here. I had Direct TV installed in my home in June. We have a whole home DVR and 3 wireless Genies,
I have a camper that we go to nearly every weekend. It's in a remote area where the reception of over the air TV isn't good. One of the other campers has Direct TV and he said he uses his home account and just pays for the extra box at his camper. My genie boxes don't appear to have a tuner. What will I need to get hooked up at my campground?
Thanks

I also have a problem at a campground. I have a wineguard gm 1518 portable. Called DTV and updated service address. They downloaded locals. But, program guideshows wrong ones ! Called tech support, they have no idea Fox channel shows ION, nbc sportsman, cbs Byu TV ?? Help

What's the zip code at your new service address....

:welcome to Satelliteguys Tom repoman!

Are you getting the correct locals? Try rebooting the box.

I noticed your signature location as Laughlin Nevada. That location gets the Las Vegas locals. All the Las Vegas locals are on transponder 25 on the 119 satellite. The channels you are actually receiving are on TP25 on the 101 satellite, i.e. your dish is pointed at the wrong satellite. The receiver has no way to know that. Don't know much about your dish except it is supposed to receive 101 and 119, so you need to go through the manual and work out how to set it up for 101 and 119.

I've read RG59 is fine for short runs especially in RV's cheaply wired. But. use RG6. For RV purposes, nailing the 101 will bring in the 99 and 103. No dithering required, repeat, for RV purposes. Obviously, an SL3 won't see any thing on the 119 but I thought no HD was on that bird. I'm DNS so I don't bother with locals, so I really don't know. Sounds like the OP has a clue and is learning fast.

Biggest friends are Dishpointer, a good compass and level, good numbers (there are apps for that), and couple hundred buck meter. When all else fails the too expensive Align-a-site will get it done. I've shot through a ten foot foot window in a giant redwood stand at Trinidad, CA.

Somewhere here, I posted a pretty good guide. Bottom line is pay attention to detail. Always start with a plumb/level to earth mast unless using an Align-a-site (it don't care). Using a good compass with no local anomalies (deviation), you will have signal. Being it isn't a perfect world, sometimes you will struggle.

For the experimenters, my Avatar is a "Dish" small oval (23"?) with an SL3 on a modified boom. Works fine IF you are good at signal getting. I went back to a Slimline as it was so much easier. Still the "Dish" was much smaller and lighter.

How is this relevant for the OP? He has a dish that will only receive 101 and 119.

How is this relevant for the OP? He has a dish that will only receive 101 and 119.

OP has a Slimline with HR's setup that he wants to bring on the road. This thread is about ways to do that. Last I checked a Slimline with an SL5 will get the 99,101, 103, 110, and 119, but what do I know?

At risk of being flamed again, here is a little picture guide a made about signal getting a few years ago. At the time I was using a "Dish" 1000.2 lashed to a Phase III back-plate and a modded arm with an SL3. Very light and compact but also touchy. Went back to using my Slimline but the setup is the same. All you need to get signal here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104481...authkey=Gv1sRgCIKfkozFzbTnigE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Actually mea culpa, but the OP set his up successfully and that piece of the thread is complete. . The thread switched to issues a poster was having with his Winegard 1618 portable and that is the dish we are now discussing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.