Wanting to add 2 additional 311's

Kyle Guilfoil

Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
I currently have the attached dish with one lnb with 2 311's. I want to add 2 more. What switch is needed?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 207
I currently have the attached dish with one lnb with 2 311's. I want to add 2 more. What switch is needed?
I don't have a simple answer, If it was me I would add a 322 to give you 2 additional tuners at possibly the cheapest cost. You have a high definition dish that can run 3 dual tuner receivers without adding a switch or it can run 3 single tuner receivers and more with additional switches.

My personal choice is I would replace the 311's with 211 HD receivers and add hard drives to make them into DVR fee free receivers and then add the 322 for your 2 additional tuners.

If you need four separate receivers, DP44 as said. About $100. You have no desire for HD?

Thanks. Its actually for a friend and they have 2 311's at their restaurant that they want to bring home. I have no understanding of why people still choose SD.

Thanks. Its actually for a friend and they have 2 311's at their restaurant that they want to bring home. I have no understanding of why people still choose SD.

I had a elderly customer with an old legacy 3xx receiver installed. I asked if she wanted to upgrade into hd programming because I was installing a 211 she tells me not interested in paying for hd because she says I have bad eyesight and there is no use in having a pretty picture when you cant see it anyways.

You could always get the W bracket 3 dish pro singles or duo whichever you can find and a DP34 switch

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: TheKrell
Just swap out that equipment with a 222 receiver or 211 receivers. The dish antenna is already there for them. Don't forget that just because the equipment is HD capable doesn't mean that they have to subscribe to HD programming.

Definitely, don't buy 2 311s, get 211s (or maybe 222). Same cost, plus you will get locals in HD for no extra charge. You do not need a DPP44, if you have a Dish 500, got an old DP quad LNB, you could probably find one for next to free on eBay or somewhere.

Edit: just noticed picture. For the same cost, get 2 x 222s, you wouldn't need new lnb/switch. And 2 of the 4 would have HD locals at no charge.

Ok so when I got there he had existing (2) 311 and wanting me to add a 625. I tried hooking it a couple ways but was never fully successful.

Existing: 2 lines off lnb straight to each 311

I added a line to the lnb and ran it through the diplexer to the 625. It wouldn't acquire signal or make it through the check switch without an error.

Then I added the dpp44 with 3 and 4 (I tried both) lines off dish and all was working except the 625.

Now I temporary have the 1 line off the lnb to the 625 and it's working great. The other 2 lines are to the dpp44 and (2) 311s but I'm missing a satellite on them (129 I think). This is the only way I could get all TVs on at best.

Any suggestions?

It almost sounds like you did not hook up the power inserter to the DPP44 switch. You should have 3 lines from the LNB running to the DPP44 switch. Line 1 from the switch should go to the power inserter (which should have an AC power transformer) which should then go to one of the receivers (could be either of the 311s or the 625.). Then you run lines directly from ports 2 & 3 to the respective receivers. You need to have the power inserter hooked up to the switch otherwise you will have problems down the road as the receivers can not provide adequate power to the switch.

Reactions: TheKrell
I agree - go with a dual tuner!! 222 or 322 at least. You will save on power for having one box and if the locations are semi close you can run one cable from one to the other vs one from each location to the 44 switch.

As for the problem at hand, you can apply the power inserter behind any of the receivers depending on which one is going to port 1 as the switch needs power, no need for port1 to really have its own line to a power location unless its right there at the switch.

Its not my choice on duel receivers or not. Just trying to help a friend.

Once I have verified the installation, the only thing I need to do at the receivers is run a check switch. Correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts