Wanting to save $$

man00

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Been with DTV since 1999 but looking at Dish now. What are the differences between these hoppers (2&3)?
I called in but couldn't get past them trying to push something on me long enough to answer questions.
Thanks

Hopper 2 has 3 satellite tuners. Hopper 3 has 16 satellite tuners and 4K capabilities. They both have Sling for Dish Anywhere purposes. Except for a possible initial cost for an upgrade to Hopper 3 they cost the same monthly. While you may not see the need for 16 tuners if you are a big DVR user Hopper 3 is the only way to go. You will never, ever, have recording conflicts with the 3.

The flip-side is that if you are not a big DVR user, and are truly looking to save money, then the Hopper Duo is the only way to go. (Hopper Duo is not to be confused with the older Hopper 2, which is a completely different model as Bobby described above.) Hopper Duo is the only model that Dish currently offers with a $10 per month DVR fee. All other Hoppers have a $15 per month DVR fee. Hopper Duo has two satellite tuners. If you subscribe to locals delivered by satellite, then the second tuner on the Hopper Duo may be used for recording multiple networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) at the same time, similar to the Prime Time Anytime feature on the other Hoppers.

Been with DTV since 1999 but looking at Dish now. What are the differences between these hoppers (2&3)?
I called in but couldn't get past them trying to push something on me long enough to answer questions.
Thanks

Hey, man00! We appreciate your interest in our service! You can compare our Hopper receivers here: MyDISH Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks!
-Jessica M.

Interesting chart linked in the post above. Thanks!

Normally, I would have recommended the Wally to save money, except for one thing: "Receiver Fee: First TV $7"

With all of the Hoppers, the first TV is included. Combine that with the new customer promo offers, which lower the DVR fee on the Hopper Duo to $5 per month ($10 per month on all other Hoppers) and $5 per month for each Joey, and it is no longer really worth it to start an account with a Wally to save money.

Interesting chart linked in the post above. Thanks!

Normally, I would have recommended the Wally to save money, except for one thing: "Receiver Fee: First TV $7"

With all of the Hoppers, the first TV is included. Combine that with the new customer promo offers, which lower the DVR fee on the Hopper Duo to $5 per month ($10 per month on all other Hoppers) and $5 per month for each Joey, and it is no longer really worth it to start an account with a Wally to save money.

My Joey's are $7 per month.

Reactions: TheKrell
My Joey's are $7 per month.
Are you on a new customer two-year promo? This was posted recently, and it cited Dish's website as the source for the new customer pricing:
Um, the quote I just got off the Dish website says "$5.00 Monthly DVR Fee" and then "$5.00 Monthly Receiver Fee" for the Joey. Has that changed...? ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts