Warner Bros - Discovery Getting out of Regionals!

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
You guys are much more tuned in to this subject but I just saw my favorite hockey YouTuber post a video about it here:

View: https://youtu.be/zEb1s7VBarY

He says ATT Sports Net is announcing their shutdown along with others ending very soon. He also goes into the profitability of the regionals. This guy is a Canadian so some of the video is geared towards it but it impacts American fans a lot.

Does this somehow vindicate Charlie?

What do you guys think of this? It apparently impacts the NHL heavily. Bad news for a lot of fans it seems.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You guys are much more tuned in to this subject but I just saw my favorite hockey YouTuber post a video about it here:

View: https://youtu.be/zEb1s7VBarY

He says ATT Sports Net is announcing their shutdown along with others ending very soon. He also goes into the profitability of the regionals. This guy is a Canadian so some of the video is geared towards it but it impacts American fans a lot.

Does this somehow vindicate Charlie?

What do you guys think of this? It apparently impacts the NHL heavily. Bad news for a lot of fans it seems.

As I posted in the baseball thread, RSNs are done for, the first thing to fall in this switchover to streaming.

As of now there are 68 Million Live TV Subscribers amongst all Providers ( including OTT Services).

But about 20 Million do not get the RSNs via their provider (Dish, Sling, YTTV, Hulu Live).

Then about 3-5 Million (estimated) have packages that do not have the RSNs, for example Entertainment via DirecTV.

So, roughly, 45 Million pay the per sub fee, then that will go down another 5-6 Million by the end of 2023, another 6-8 Million down in 2024.

So, roughly, only a tad over 30 million will be paying per sub fees for the RSNs via their provider by the end of 2024.

Most of them will be unprofitable by then, especially with the high rights fees with the teams.

So yes, Charlie made the correct decision.

As I posted in the baseball thread, RSNs are done for, the first thing to fall in this switchover to streaming.

As of now there are 68 Million Live TV Subscribers amongst all Providers ( including OTT Services).

But about 20 Million do not get the RSNs via their provider (Dish, Sling, YTTV, Hulu Live).

Then about 3-5 Million (estimated) have packages that do not have the RSNs, for example Entertainment via DirecTV.

So, roughly, 45 Million pay the per sub fee, then that will go down another 5-6 Million by the end of 2023, another 6-8 Million down in 2024.

So, roughly, only a tad over 30 million will be paying per sub fees for the RSNs via their provider by the end of 2024.

Most of them will be unprofitable by then, especially with the high rights fees with the teams.

So yes, Charlie made the correct decision.

Makes sense and thanks for the heads up on baseball thread. Interesting read. For those that want more info about regionals that baseball thread is a good place to start.