Warner giving up on HD-DVD combo discs?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
It is being reported by several insiders that Warner is giving up on the combo discs from HD-DVD. Supposedly the Harry Potter series will be the last combo discs from Warner. Starting in 2008 they will only produce hd on the HD-DVD discs and not include DVD on the HD-DVD discs.

Is there a problem with the HD-DVD combo discs? I have also read that there are problems playing some combo discs on first generation players. Could this spell the end of the combo disc?

From the Digital Bits a week ago. A little late?

"We understand you were looking for clarification following recent reports that WHV would be discontinuing the HD DVD combo discs. We would like to clarify that this is not the case and that WHV will continue to release combo HD DVD/DVD discs for the foreseeable future."

However they are moving prices closer to normal. HPOOTP Combo is the same price as the BD version.

Most people don't have problems with combos. I don't.

S~

I like the combo discs too, I am glad to hear they are keeping them going and I have noticed that prices are more in-line with other discs and that's even better for the consumer.

From the Digital Bits a week ago. A little late?

"We understand you were looking for clarification following recent reports that WHV would be discontinuing the HD DVD combo discs. We would like to clarify that this is not the case and that WHV will continue to release combo HD DVD/DVD discs for the foreseeable future."

However they are moving prices closer to normal. HPOOTP Combo is the same price as the BD version.

Most people don't have problems with combos. I don't.

S~

So the question is what is the forseeable future and is Warner going to replace the combo with the THD? This would be a good way of getting other studios to look at supporting both formats.

You say most people do not have problems with combos -are there problems?

I believe THD discs are dead in the water. There have been a few issues with COM and The Good Shepard. I believe it had to do with the bonding of the discs. Universal replaced the discs. Most users were able to clean the disc w/ hand sanitizer and rinse it off.

Noone knows what Warner is thinking right now.

S~

I think Warner is the lynchpin in HD movie production. They have the most titles and they sell the most HD in both formats. AT some point I can see them moving either format in the direction that they want to move in. And they are not forthcoming with plans other then to keep their number one status as a HD provider.

Combo discs are an excellent idea, and a brilliant way to transition people over to HD-DVD. However, they MUST cost the same as HD-only discs, or even special edition SD DVDs, if at all possible. That will really boost the format.

Considering the low manufacturing cost and easier authoring of HD-DVD compared to BD, there should really be no reason that HD-DVD discs aren't cheaper than BD DVD's, actually.

Certainly they could price the combo discs at the same price.

Or better yet. Eliminate Sd-DVD in favor of Dual format and price it at 19.99?

S~

Combo discs are an excellent idea, and a brilliant way to transition people over to HD-DVD.
Maybe in 5 years when there are enough HD sets out there to transition. But right now it takes a significant investment of cash. HDTV, HD DVD player. a combo disc isnt going to do anything right now. Combos are the stupidest idea yet. AS an HD DVD owner the last thing I want is SD and Joe sixpack DVD player owners have no interest in a disc side they cannot play.

Bingo.
Sell only combo discs at the current SD price points for new releases. No more SD DVD's. No more HD-only DVD's. This so-called format war would be over tomorrow.
Yup, especially since Joe Six Pack wants videos that will play in all the DVD players in the house including the $25 player in the kids rooms.

Yup, especially since Joe Six Pack wants videos that will play in all the DVD players in the house including the $25 player in the kids rooms.
Even Joe 6 pack knows that the HD side of that combo disc will be scratched to hell by the time he buys an HDTV in a year or so and then an HD DVD player 2 years from now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)