Warner may start using VC-1 on Blue-Ray!

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Only a day after Warner announced an unprecedented single-day release of ten high-def titles, the studio has unveiled full specs and box art for the complete lineup, which may include the studio's first-ever VC-1-encoded Blu-ray discs.

As first reported yesterday, Warner Home Video is set to debut ten high-def disc titles simultaneously on September 26. Four will be exclusive to HD DVD, including 'The Dirty Dozen,' 'Grand Prix,' 'Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines' and 'The Adventures of Robin Hood', with the remaining six -- 'Tim Burton's Corpse Bride,' 'Swordfish,' 'Space Cowboys,' 'The Fugitive,' 'Lethal Weapon 2' and 'House of Wax' -- headed for Blu-ray.

Like all of Warner's previous HD DVD and Blu-ray releases, supplemental content on each title will be identical to those featured on their standard DVD counterparts.

'Terminator 3' will be the only one of the entire batch to also include exclusive HD bonus features, with an "In-Movie Experience" enhanced video commentary hosted by the film's director, Jonathan Mostow.

All ten titles will be presented in full 1080p video, with the HD DVD releases featuring Dolby Digital-Plus tracks (except 'The Adventures of Robin Hood,' which will be in Mono only, and sorry, no Dolby TrueHD at all this time around), while the Blu-ray discs will include standard Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks

As for disc types, Warner will again offer up HD-30 dual-layer discs for the HD DVD titles, and BD-25 single-layer discs for the Blu-ray releases.

However, despite the more limited storage space on the Blu-ray discs, we've received word from sources at Warner that these upcoming Blu-ray titles will be the format's first to utilize the VC-1 compression codec. So far, all Blu-ray disc releases (regardless of studio) have used the more space-hungry MPEG-2, so by switching to VC-1, Warner can conceivably pack a lot more content onto the same size disc. An especially attractive proposition, given the fact that production of more roomy BD-50 dual-layer platters is not expected to be market-ready until the end of 2006 at the earliest.

Taking a look at the feature-packed specs for these latest Warner Blu-ray titles, the signs certainly seem to indicate that they will indeed utilize the more space-saving VC-1 codec. However, we are still awaiting an official confirmation from Warner on the issue -- and we'll certainly post their final answer as soon as it comes in.

In the meantime, complete specs for Warner's entire September 26 wave, including box art, have now been added to our HD DVD Release Schedule and Blu-ray Release Schedule.

That's the point. Even if it's the same that's still nothing against HD-DVD when a BR player costs twice as much as its same or better performing competitior.

jgantert said:
So, I wonder if the end of HD DVD's PQ dominance will be near? Finally BR might actually be able to meet the PQ of HD DVD! :)

-John

Not until they have a player that's better than the Samsung on the market ;)

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
Not until they have a player that's better than the Samsung on the market ;)
I'm still not convienced at all that its the Sammy. If it was wouldn't we get some reports of how awesome The Fifth Element looked on the BR laptop? I have yet to hear that report. ;)

Also, some of the newer titles seem to be better (Stargate, Total Recall, etc). Even when played on the Sammy.

-John

BTW, I'm solidly in the HD DVD side, but I think the Sammy has taken an unfair beating on this issue.

jgantert said:
I'm still not convienced at all that its the Sammy. If it was wouldn't we get some reports of how awesome The Fifth Element looked on the BR laptop? I have yet to hear that report. ;)

Also, some of the newer titles seem to be better (Stargate, Total Recall, etc). Even when played on the Sammy.

-John

BTW, I'm solidly in the HD DVD side, but I think the Sammy has taken an unfair beating on this issue.

No, they haven't taken an unfair beating.

The player goes 1080p --> 1080i and bobs back to 1080p.

It is not ready for prime time.

So until they have a player that outputs without an intermediate 1080i step, they are going to get this type of trash talk ;)

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
No, they haven't taken an unfair beating.

Yeah, thats true. I was refering more to the PQ bashing (softness, pixelation, etc). :)

-John

Bob is causing some of the softness issues.

Some of the other softness issues are caused by the Faroudja chipset. I know as I can compare Faroudja at 1080p vs. Gennum at 1080p and the Faroudja is noticably softer.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
The review of the Samsung player is this month's Sound and Vision magazine, showed no difference when viewing a 1080p-1080i-1080p or 1080p-1080i signal.

The Samsung puts out a 1080p video signal, theoretically the best choice if your TV can accept that resolution, since both Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs carry their video as 1080p. However, Samsung confirmed for us that the BD-P1000 converts video from the disc to 1080i before converting it back to 1080p for output. The same conversion is performed whether you use 1080p from the player or output 1080i and let the display convert the signal to 1080p internally.

I carefully compared the 1080p and 1080i output from the unit's HDMI connector and detected no difference — none. Eventually, we settled on 1080i, which, unlike 1080p, was compatible with our Yamaha HDMI switching receiver.

Sound and Vision Review

Nevada_MO_Guy said:
The review of the Samsung player is this month's Sound and Vision magazine, showed no difference when viewing a 1080p-1080i-1080p or 1080p-1080i signal.

The Samsung puts out a 1080p video signal, theoretically the best choice if your TV can accept that resolution, since both Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs carry their video as 1080p. However, Samsung confirmed for us that the BD-P1000 converts video from the disc to 1080i before converting it back to 1080p for output. The same conversion is performed whether you use 1080p from the player or output 1080i and let the display convert the signal to 1080p internally.

I carefully compared the 1080p and 1080i output from the unit's HDMI connector and detected no difference — none. Eventually, we settled on 1080i, which, unlike 1080p, was compatible with our Yamaha HDMI switching receiver.

Sound and Vision Review

They don't have the test patterns I do when I was playing with the player for a weekend. It doesn't get all of 1080p resolution.

For the record the following are failures:
1080 multi-burst
1080 single-pixel

Once they get those fixed, I'll say that it doesn't suck, how's that?