Warning 760 ??? VIP 722

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
"The content on your hard drive has become corrupted and will cause your receiver to function improperly. In order for your receiver to function properly all content on hard drive will need to be deleted at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience."
"Delete Now" press select
Man I hate to hit select, but it won't give any other options. I guess this would make a good argument for an ehd. Anybody have any ides? This is the first time I have ever seen this.

Thats not a good sign. The few times I've seen it led to having to get a new receiver. It does make having a EHD sound like a great idea.

Man ouch

"The content on your hard drive has become corrupted and will cause your receiver to function improperly. In order for your receiver to function properly all content on hard drive will need to be deleted at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience."
"Delete Now" press select
Man I hate to hit select, but it won't give any other options. I guess this would make a good argument for an ehd. Anybody have any ides? This is the first time I have ever seen this.

Boy you ain't gonna like it but it happens. Have seen it once and it didn't delete everything but can't guarantee that you will be that lucky. Sending you an :angel: since they don't have praying hands emoticon.

Dont press select yet...

Unplug the unit for about an hour then give it a try. If it works I would get a EHD and backup all your recordings. :)

That error can come about because it couldn't mount the hard drive or hard drive partition, so it may work on other tries.

Ok a pwr reset brought it back on. I took Scott's advice and it is now unplugged. My next question is about an ehd. Going to town in a little bit and thinking of going by office depot or something along that line. What is a good size for an ehd and what do others prefer.

The message related to corruption in meta-data of hidden partitions of DVR internal disk [E*FS]. Because it is proprietary file system, there is no such program like e2fsck for check first two EXT3 partitions and Dish FW doing own way to restore that corruptions, sometimes it could pass it without loss of recording.

There is thealso minor possibility that you can try" freezing" the drive and get your stuff off it quickly before it goes bye bye.
Unless you OWN the DVR, do NOT do that. In order to properly do this, you have to pull the HDD out of the receiver (obviously). Doing that will break the tamper-proof sticker(s) on the HDD cage. When that receiver is returned to Dish, they may deny a replacement and may in fact charge for the entire receiver !

Ok a pwr reset brought it back on. I took Scott's advice and it is now unplugged. My next question is about an ehd. Going to town in a little bit and thinking of going by office depot or something along that line. What is a good size for an ehd and what do others prefer.

The WD My Books and My DVR Expanders work good, and Im using 500gb and 1tb units.

Unless you OWN the DVR, do NOT do that. In order to properly do this, you have to pull the HDD out of the receiver (obviously). Doing that will break the tamper-proof sticker(s) on the HDD cage. When that receiver is returned to Dish, they may deny a replacement and may in fact charge for the entire receiver !

I think I'll pass on that option. This receiver is leased.

...and thinking of going by office depot or something along that line.
If your options are limited, Office Depot is fine, especially if you can catch a drive on sale.

As for the size to get, base it on the cost. Smaller drives eventually hit a "bottom" price and really never go lower. You can get a 160gb for $50 or a 320gb for $55.... Those are made-up numbers, by the way, but the 'logic' still applies. The latest, greatest, and largest drives will obviously cost the most because they still have a premium added to their price. So, go for something in the middle. :D Anything around 500gb should be sufficient, and in fact, way beyond what 90% of DVR owners need. Office Depot appears to have 500gb external HDDs on sale for $109 at the moment.

By the way, currently you can buy "too big" of an EHD that will work with Dish's DVRs. I think 1TB drives won't work (yet).

Update: Have an ehd now hooked up to 722. I never did press select to "Delete now". TV part plays fine but I when I press dvr it says "unable to access feature at this time". I fear I am sol. Looking for any last ditch efforts before I call & have receiver ra'd. It has been unplugged all afternoon.

Ok I have a 722 on the way. The rep was kind enough to waive the activation fee for the ehd & did not mention anything about shipping as I do not have dhpp. I have a couple days to try and pull a rabbit out of the hat and get my recordings transferred to the ehd. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help to all who replied.

Update: Have an ehd now hooked up to 722. I never did press select to "Delete now".

Your 722 is in "Limp Mode"... it still functions, but all hard drive functions are disabled. When you get the popup again if you hit "Delete Now" it will re-partition and re-format the drive.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Give up on saving your recordings :D Don't like that idea, do you ? As noted just above, the DVR considers the HDD out of commission at this point and until you "Delete now", it's not going to change it's mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)