Was a working system but now my odd transponders are 'dead'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZHomes

Original poster
I have a slimline 5 that was working fine for at least a few years. I had outgrown the DIRECTV Zinwell Multiswitch 8 way switch and bought a replacement kit with two Zinwell Multiswitch HD Kit 2x (WB68).
For reasons unknown(most likely a loose connection) I had issues with setting up the two switches. When I was done I had most stations but No NBC HD NY which has the olmpics and led to an upset wife. In the short term I decided to remove the splitter and go back to the way I was running.

Questions
1) I am 80% certain when going from a slimline 5 (not SWM) into a multiswitch - , MS6x8WB-Z the order of the 4 wires off the LNBs shouldnt matter? Is that right?
2) It seemed for a while the 103 odd (13v) was showing bad when I didnt have NBC NY HD. I just for kicks swapped the 103/110/119 odd and even wires and NBC came back. However looking at the test page it now shows 103/110/119 EVEN as being bad but I didnt see any missing channels with a quick search. Does the order of the 4 wires really matter?
3) My test results are attached, is the 3 evens with the X indiciative of a problem? Plan for tonight is to get some new compression fittings and replace a few screw on fittings but wondering if this indicates my dish needs adjustment. Since I am back hooked up to the way that I was for a few years I am thinking there either is no problem or some connector became loose.

2012-08-06 22.56.20.jpg2012-08-06 23.15.49.jpg2012-08-06 23.17.32.jpg2012-08-06 23.17.45.jpg2012-08-06 23.17.59.jpg2012-08-06 23.18.13.jpg2012-08-06 23.18.24.jpg

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You can connect the lnb cables to the 6x8 in any order, it doesn't matter. How many receivers/dvrs do you have? I'm thinking you have many. If you don't have more than four tuners, then you don't need the 6x8. Remember there are two tuners in a dvr, one in a receiver. Since you switched the cables and the issue moved when you did, you probably have a bad lnb or cable from the dish. Can you bypass the 6x8? If it's a cable, that might indicate which one is faulty.

thanks so much for the quick response. it appears those x's do indicate a problem. I agree - it did seem to move when I swapped the wires.

For testing purposes - is it correct that I could bypass the switch and test each wire directly using a single receiver? If I bypassed the switch to test the wires independently is it correct that if I repeated the test I should see check boxes for 9 combinations - 99 odd/even, 101 odd/even, 103 odd/even, 110 even only(?), 119 odd/even?

Thanks so much...

Don't over think it. Just bring each cable from the dish to a receiver and check all four separately. If you find a bad one, isolate it and switch it at the lnb and test again. If the same cable has the issue, it's likely the cable. If it switches to a different cable, it's probably the lnb. If it seems to be a cable, check it to be sure the connectors are good and there are no cuts or sharp kinks in it. If it seems to be the lnb, you could replace it or call Directv and set up a service call.

Check the splitter to ensure it passes voltage through both ports. Alot of then won't pass voltage at all or only through one port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)