Was this a bad install?

Rebecca

Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Please forgive me if I don't have all the correct terminology down...the sum total of my experience in all this is a few days of research on which provider to choose, and one day research on how to go about correcting this problem. :(

I called Dish to set up service for my Dad's house. At the time, he wanted to hook up two TVs with DVR (one HD .) I ordered a full package with a 722 receiver (came with a 1000.2 dish.) Both were already wired, so I was told it would be a standard install.

Flash forward to yesterday's installation. When the installer arrived, apparently my dad decided he wanted to add a third TV. In an unwired room. Installer said no problem, he could run the cable...with a bit of attic work. (there was no additional charge for this...I'm assuming that the fact that he punched a nasty hole through the wrong side of the wall...into the front entrance hallway, had something to do with that....) :rolleyes: My dad was kind enough to tell the guy not to worry about it.

Turns out that the wiring to the main, HD, tv was not quite what it needed to be...so the installer pulled through some new cable. So we are talking maybe, maybe 50 ft. of new cable totally.

Well, my dad was dazzled by his new HD...said it all looked good & signed the agreement, sent the installer on his way.

I start checking things out later...and realize that there is only one receiver. He has "mirrored?" the two non-HD TVs, and told the folks that they could share the second remote for them. I asked my dad about it, and in all honesty, we're not sure if the installer explained clearly how this would work.

So, I'm a bit confused. Given that my folks are first time customers, and signed up for the deal of up to four connections free, free hd dvr upgrade, free standard install yada, yada, yada..... Why wouldn't he have installed a second receiver? Which to me wouldn't seem to be a big problem, given that he already ran the new cable and we have the 1000.2 dish? Or do I still have a lot to learn about all this?

Are we SOL, just 'cause my dad changed his mind when the installer arrived? I suppose I'll be making a few calls in the next couple of days. But I'm wondering ...is it no big deal to correct this kind of thing? I'm hoping we can get the second receiver straightened out & included with the original installation package.

And should I call the installer directly or report it to Dish Network directly? Which would work better?

Thanks in advance for any insight that you might have! :)

there could be a lots of reasons why he did it that way. maybe he didn't have another receiver, didn't want call center to modify work order.
call dish as soon as you can you have 3 days to make any changes to your account before you locked in and have to pay for the upgrade

Please forgive me if I don't have all the correct terminology down...the sum total of my experience in all this is a few days of research on which provider to choose, and one day research on how to go about correcting this problem. :(

I called Dish to set up service for my Dad's house. At the time, he wanted to hook up two TVs with DVR (one HD .) I ordered a full package with a 722 receiver (came with a 1000.2 dish.) Both were already wired, so I was told it would be a standard install.

Flash forward to yesterday's installation. When the installer arrived, apparently my dad decided he wanted to add a third TV. In an unwired room. Installer said no problem, he could run the cable...with a bit of attic work. (there was no additional charge for this...I'm assuming that the fact that he punched a nasty hole through the wrong side of the wall...into the front entrance hallway, had something to do with that....) :rolleyes: My dad was kind enough to tell the guy not to worry about it.

Can't speak to that. Would have to know what the installer's plan was, if an exterior wall came into play, etc., etc. "Wall-fishing" as we call is never easy and sometimes can turn into a freaking nightmare.

Turns out that the wiring to the main, HD, tv was not quite what it needed to be...so the installer pulled through some new cable. So we are talking maybe, maybe 50 ft. of new cable totally.

Sounds like the house was prewired with RG-59 cable. Our receivers require RG6 cable between the receiver and the Dish. The installer did the right thing running new cable.

Well, my dad was dazzled by his new HD...said it all looked good & signed the agreement, sent the installer on his way.

I start checking things out later...and realize that there is only one receiver. He has "mirrored?" the two non-HD TVs, and told the folks that they could share the second remote for them. I asked my dad about it, and in all honesty, we're not sure if the installer explained clearly how this would work.

The installer could have added a single-room receiver, but your dad would have been charged an extra $5 a month. This would have allowed him to watch 3 different shows in 3 different rooms. It's possible, though not likely, that the installer didn't have a single room receiver or didn't have one he could spare and he would have had to reschedule your Dad for another day in order to do it that way.

If your dad didn't want to pay the extra $5 a month, the other option was to "mirror-image" those other 2 rooms together. Those 2 rooms will always have the same show on. This is very common in situations where the 3rd TV won't be used that much. And like I said, it saves having to pay that extra $5 a month.

Just take the "TV 2" remote - the one with a blue 2 on the bottom - into whichever one of those 2 rooms you're watching TV at the time. The TV 2 remote is a high-frequency remote that works off the antenna on back of the receiver. Just aim the remote at the TV you're watching like you naturally would and the Dish Network channel will turn, even though there is no box in either of the TV 2 rooms

So, I'm a bit confused. Given that my folks are first time customers, and signed up for the deal of up to four connections free, free hd dvr upgrade, free standard install yada, yada, yada..... Why wouldn't he have installed a second receiver? Which to me wouldn't seem to be a big problem, given that he already ran the new cable and we have the 1000.2 dish? Or do I still have a lot to learn about all this?

Are we SOL, just 'cause my dad changed his mind when the installer arrived? I suppose I'll be making a few calls in the next couple of days. But I'm wondering ...is it no big deal to correct this kind of thing? I'm hoping we can get the second receiver straightened out & included with the original installation package.

And should I call the installer directly or report it to Dish Network directly? Which would work better?

Thanks in advance for any insight that you might have! :)

If you want that 2nd receiver so you can watch 3 different shows in 3 different rooms, just call Dish @ 1-800-333-DISH.

Last edited:
Because your dad changed the order after the installer arrived he only had the equipment issued for the order as written. You can change it to a 3rd tuner but don't hesitate to call and modify your installation.

Update

Thanks for the input all. I DO understand that he may have not been able to give us another receiver because he didn't have the hardware with him. ... now.

At the time we ordered, we had no idea/was not explained from two tvs to three meant a whole 'nother box. And I know it may not be the installer's job...but I guess it would have just been nice for someone to have explained to my dad that the receiver was limited to two televisions...if we had understood that from the beginning, ...well, it may seem a bit silly & simple to those that deal with this stuff every day...(and does to me two, now that I've actually studied up a bit on it.)...but...

But had he known that the equipment on a workorder for 4 connections was significantly different than equipment on a workorder for two connections beforehand....both equipment options costing us $0...well, duh...

Anyway...update...I called customer service this morning....I was first offered another 722 for @249. + install fees. :rolleyes:

But after a bit of back and forth--a couple of attempts on my part to "better explain the situation" we worked it down to a free lower end receiver + free installation. :)

I realize communication could have been better on both ends. I do have to say though, that everyone we've spoken to/haggled with has been very polite and professional. Although the experience was less than perfect, I really felt like the folks involved cared about keeping me as a customer....which is getting harder to find in many companies these days... :::insert chessy face smiley here:::

(Speaking of which...this I also placed a cancellation call to the company formerly known as my program provider. Wow, they finally sounded like they really, really cared about me too...lol... :wave)

Rebecca if you had delt with a retail dealer you would have had a better chance of the explanation being done on the first contact. A retailer would also have the ability to change his install at the time of installation. As long as customers like you think the 800 numbers or the internet is the BEST way to buy there is going to be the problem of closing the sale wether it solves the customers needs or not.

I realize communication could have been better on both ends.
Sounds like the blind leading the blind.:D However, glad to hear they were polite. :)

Now to provide constructive comments that you may want to think about before the free upgrade. ;)

Although the 722 can only output 2 programs at once, 1 to TV1 and 1 to TV2, it can output 2 programs at once to many TV's. In other words, you can have TV1 Output going to the whole house on Channel 61 while at the same time TV2 Output going to the whole house on Channel 63. Of course any TV not located near the satellite receiver and connected using the appropriate cables will not get a HD picture, but will receive a standard definition (SD) picture, even on the HD channels/programming.

I suspect the installer ran/configured cables from the 722 satellite receiver to the other 2 televisions in the house with the 722 in dual mode; and if he setup the stereo agile modulator for both TV1 and TV2, everyone in the house can select whichever TV Output they wanted to watch by changing the channel on their local TV. Also, if you purchase a second 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote with a Green Tab/Black 1/and UHF PRO etched on it, you can control TV1 from the 2nd or 3rd location, and leave the current TV1 IR remote in the same room as the 722. Such configuration would allow Bedroom 2 to watch TV2 and control it remotely, while Bedroom 3 watch TV1 and remotely control it. And hopefully, everyone in the living room went to bed.

You did not mention the model of the lower end receiver you are getting.

If its a ViP series, such as the 211, you will be able to receive on it, any HD programming you get on the 722.
But if it's a 311, standard definition receiver, it will not pick up the MPEG4 HD channels - not even as an SD output.

I believe all of the new ViP series only have a ATSC (digital) tuner, and will not pickup any NTSC (analog) signals. The stereo agile modulated output of the 722 is NTSC.

Depending on which Satellite Receiver you get, and/or what inputs your 3rd television has, hopefully you will be able to have the installer configure TV3 to receive the independent satellite signal from the new 2nd receiver, as well as the 722 TV1 and TV2 Outputs. Then you'll be able to watch precorded shows from teh 722, as well as HD programming (in SD mode).

And if your TV3 is an HD, or will be an HD in the near future, maybe you should call Dish and ask for a ViP 211 for that extra receiver.

One last thing...
Where do you want the new receiver?
As above, you should think about the future, will you be getting another HD set, will you be looking to get another HD receiver to go with it; and if so, maybe use that logic to have it installed in the other room the first go round (2nd go round). Maybe discuss it with the installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)