Was Voom started by Dish??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdog

Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Was Voom started with Echostar's help?

I found this while surfing around tonight at http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20021028/0856228_F.shtml, and was curious what anyone else thought about it. I know it's dated 2002, but discusses the beginnings of Voom....

Latest Attempt To Save EchoStar/DirecTV Deal Involves Cablevision

Contributed by Mike on Monday, October 28th, 2002 @ 08:56AM
from the no-surprise-there dept.
Just as Wired went to press saying that the EchoStar's likely failure to acquire DirecTV means that Charlie Ergen will get to battle Rupert Murdoch yet again, the Washington Post is reporting that Ergen has worked out a deal with Cablevision to buy some EchoStar assets, in order to manufacture a satellite TV competitor out of thin air. The Cablevision deal had been rumored for some time, and Cablevision had announced some incredibly weak plans to offer satellite TV (some rumors said they got backing from Murdoch...). It's still unclear if EchoStar will get approval, though. I still wonder, though, why the FCC and the Justice Department don't realize that satellite TV and cable TV are competitors. They keep saying that the combined EchoStar/DirecTV would lead to a monopoly... It doesn't. How many people do you know who have both satellite TV and cable TV? The two are clearly substitutes in the same market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts