Washington DC locals moving; will HD locals stay

sbell

Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
I see that the Washington DC locals will be moving off of 61.5. Will the HD locals remain on 61.5? I am upgrading to 622 on 3/28 and was going to have wing dish added to my Dish 500 for my HD channels including local HD. Even though CSR told me I can get HD only on 129 and has me down to get a Dish 1000. I had to tell him DC HD locals were on 61.5 so he added a wing dish to my order. I just need my current Dish 500 and wing dish to get all HD programming, correct? Sorry this has just turned into two questions.

Thanks

sbell said:
I see that the Washington DC locals will be moving off of 61.5. Will the HD locals remain on 61.5? I am upgrading to 622 on 3/28 and was going to have wing dish added to my Dish 500 for my HD channels including local HD. Even though CSR told me I can get HD only on 129 and has me down to get a Dish 1000. I had to tell him DC HD locals were on 61.5 so he added a wing dish to my order. I just need my current Dish 500 and wing dish to get all HD programming, correct? Sorry this has just turned into two questions.

Thanks
I've had a wing Dish 500 to pick up VOOM since my install last May (the wing dish was free due to our split locals on 61.5). Anyway, I activated my 622 last week and receive the new DishHD channels along with the DC HD LIL I don't need. Actually, the HD LIL channels do come in handy once in a while when I need to record more than one OTA event. Now if they can just get the bugs worked out with these channels.

I swung my wing Dish 500 over to 129 sat last fall, but the signal levels were 15-20 points lower then on 61.5. My advise is get Dish to install a DPP-44 switch, a Dish 1000, and a Dish 500 (61.5) if possible. The cover your 129 LNB. The more I think about it....I don't see E* moving the DC HD LIL off of 61.5 (if anything they'll move them over to EchoStar 10), but at least you'll be prepared should E* change their plans.

riffjim4069 said:
I've had a wing Dish 500 to pick up VOOM since my install last May (the wing dish was free due to our split locals on 61.5). Anyway, I activated my 622 last week and receive the new DishHD channels along with the DC HD LIL I don't need. Actually, the HD LIL channels do come in handy once in a while when I need to record more than one OTA event. Now if they can just get the bugs worked out with these channels.

I swung my wing Dish 500 over to 129 sat last fall, but the signal levels were 15-20 points lower then on 61.5. My advise is get Dish to install a DPP-44 switch, a Dish 1000, and a Dish 500 (61.5) if possible. The cover your 129 LNB. The more I think about it....I don't see E* moving the DC HD LIL off of 61.5 (if anything they'll move them over to EchoStar 10), but at least you'll be prepared should E* change their plans.

Why would he get a Dish1000 again? There are no new HD channels he'd pick up with a 129 signal. If it's just to have an extra dish just in case, he's going to get more rain fade than with 61.5 AND his receiver may not map both 129 and 61.5 HD channels that are going to be duplicates. It may default to 129 and you don't want that now since 129 will give lower signal and no new HD channels yet.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Why would he get a Dish1000 again? There are no new HD channels he'd pick up with a 129 signal. If it's just to have an extra dish just in case, he's going to get more rain fade than with 61.5 AND his receiver may not map both 129 and 61.5 HD channels that are going to be duplicates. It may default to 129 and you don't want that now since 129 will give lower signal and no new HD channels yet.
...not a 2nd Dish 1000, just keep the current one in place and add 61.5 in order to get the DPP-44 switch as part of the install. In this case, he could simply cover or disconnect the 129 LNB since the signal levels are marginal in our area. Although DC HD LIL is currenly on 61.5, who's to say it will stay there? Just look at Atlanta HD LIL...nobody expected them to be on 129. My Dish 500s at 110/119 and 61.5 work quite well...just not convinced E* may not have future plans for the Dish 1000 for DC area residents. If I were to move 10 miles to the south, then then the Dish 1000 would be standard equipment in the Richmond VA market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts