Washington Nationals/Baltimore Orioles Blacked Out?

JMassey699

Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Hi everyone.

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I wanted to start a thread about the live Nationals/Orioles games being blacked out on Dish.

They were never blacked out a year ago but yet their live games are blacked out this season. I can watch the replays with no problem.

Does anyone know why this changed? Does anyone know if MLB put out a list of approved and adjusted zip codes which are allowed to see live games. I see other fans on this board are having a tough time with their teams as well.

I used to work for Dish so I understand everyone's frustrations about talking to a CSR and them not being able to supply you with ample information. They are just told and read a blurb on their computer screens about the reasons for blackouts and we are consumers are supposed to take that for an answer. So please don't get mad at them when you call in when they are just doing what they are told.

By the way, my account zip code is in northern Virginia and I was able to see all of those games last year on MASN and MASN2.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Generally, if you can receive the replays, then you should get the live game. (Yes, I'm even getting blacked-out on replays...)

BUT, that probably means that some other channel in your area gets precedent over the one you're trying to watch right now. Have you flipped through all of the channels?

I've been through all the channels. I subscribe to Washington DC locals and the only stations so far that the Nats and O's have been on are MASN and MASN2 (432/433).

Does anyone have the zip code list for blackout purposes for these two stations?

I would email MASN:

MASN Online: The Official Website of the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network

I wouldn't think anyone who is living in the NoVA/DC/MD area would be getting blackouts on MASN, however last night both teams were playing, and it might be the case that the team closest to you is your "home" team, thus in VA, you'd get the Nationals game and the Os game would be blacked out. I would ask MASN though for the exact ruling.

I live in MD, in between both cities, and was able to watch both games last night on MASN and MASN2 on Dish.

Thanks.

Just emailed both Dish and MASN about this. I'll keep everyone in the loop about what they say.

Just got an email from MASN. Here it is below. I've forwarded this on to Dish Network as well.

Your zip code is part of our territory. Please contact Dish Network and let them know you are being blacked out.

MASN

From: cgi-mailer@perfora.net [mailto:cgi-mailer@perfora.net]
Sent: Thu 4/3/2008 2:45 PM
To: info@masnstudios.com; Customer Service
Subject: Form data

===========================================
== New entry
===========================================

-------------------------------------------
-- Form: 'MASN_CustomerService_v2'
-------------------------------------------

1. Name:
'***** ******'
2. Address:
'**** ********** ****'
3. City:
'************'
4. State:
'VA'
5. ZIP:
'22***'
6. E-Mail:
'******************'
7. Select One Topic::
'Programming / Scheduling'
8. Your Question or Comment::
'I'm writing in regards to Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles games being blacked out on Dish Network on MASN and MASN2 (432/433).

I live in the Washington DC DMA and my account zip code is 22***. I was able to view all of those baseball games last year live with no problem at all.

I'm still able to view the replays of the games this season but the live games are blacked out.

Could you take a look into this for me to see if my zip code is accidentally being blacked out for live games on MASN and MASN2?

I'm already able to view all live pro sporting events on Comcast SportsNet (424) with no problem at all. Comcast doesn't offer any baseball but it shows I'm able to get live events with no problem.

By the way, Comcast along with MASN and MASN2 are my RSNs.

Why am I having a problem viewing the live games this season while I was able to view them fine last season?

Thanks.'

So I ended up getting the traditional form email in regards to blackouts from a CSR. See below.

Thank you for your email. A sporting event may be blacked-out when one broadcaster purchases the rights to an event, and other broadcasters do not have the rights to broadcast that event. The broadcasters who cannot show the event will be blacked-out.
  • There are national blackouts and regional market blackouts.
      • National blackouts occur when a local channel, or a Regional Sports Network, purchases the rights to the event. In these cases, the event will not be available to any channel that is outside of that region. See additional details below.
        Regional market blackouts occur when a national channel such as ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, TNT, etc., purchases the rights to the event. In these cases, the event will not be available to any regional channel within that team's territory unless a regional channel purchases the rights to the event. See additional details below.
Each sports league determines its team's territories differently. For example, an NBA team and an MLB team from the same market may have drastically different local blackout areas. There are several types of sports blackouts that pertain separately to individual event types and broadcasts. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
Josephine L.
DISH Network eCare
Pine Brook
** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

-------------------
Fortunately, I have friends in high places and this has been discussed with them. I'll keep everyone posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)