Watch dvr in another room

satnewguy

Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I ordered dish through my local phone company who messed up what receivers I would need. I told them I had two hdtvs and 2 sd tvs. They set me up with the hd dvr 722 for my two hdtvs and then a standard receiver for the other two tvs. I didn't realize until after the installer left that I wasn't receiving hd on the second tv. Anyhows they are mailing me a new hd receiver to replace the standard. I will have the hd dvr for my living room hdtv and my spare bedroom sdtv and the other hd receiver for the master bedroom hdtv and my kitchen sdtv. Does this sound correct? Also is this something I can install and switch or do I need to make them send out another installer to put in the new receiver and change the remotes around? Also I want to be able to view what I record on the dvr in my bedroom. Can I split into the line going to the kitchen so I can watch the recording in the bedroom? I hope this doesn't sound too confusing.

The 722 will handle your living room HDTV and your spare bedroom SDTV. Both will have DVR functionality and the ability to share recordings.

If the master bedroom and kitchen are configured with a 222 then you will be able to view HD in your master bedroom and SD in the kitchen. However there will not be DVR functionality. Unless you paid for another 722, these two rooms will not have DVR functionality.

It sounds like your lines were run to accomodate two dual-tuner receivers so no new lines will need to be run. You wouldn't need an installer, simply switch out the receivers.

no..my kitchen tv will be tv2 on the dvr. I justed wanted to be able to watch what I record on the bedroom hdtv as well. Can I split tv2 to also go to the bedroom since the hd receiver in that bedroom would be hooked up probably by hdmi cable.

no..my kitchen tv will be tv2 on the dvr. I justed wanted to be able to watch what I record on the bedroom hdtv as well. Can I split tv2 to also go to the bedroom since the hd receiver in that bedroom would be hooked up probably by hdmi cable.

Yes you can. We have it setup at our house so that our 625 & 722 feed via different channels to all of our tv's via coax. I can see what is playing on any of the tuners from any of the rooms (we have a total of 5 rooms with tvs). Only catch is that we must have the remote for the tuner we are watching (and if it is an IR remote, we must control it from the room the box is in to get the IR to work).

We used splitters to run the coax to each room and made sure the different receivers were feeding their signal out to different channels (each one must be at least 2 channels apart).

Geoff

So you are saying I would just split the coax cable going to the tv2 of the dvr and run it into the regular coax connection on the hdtv in the master bedroom. If I connect the hd receiver that is in the bedroom with hdmi and the split is run into the coax connection on the back of that same tv then I will see what is playing on the dvr while in "cable input". When I switch to "hd input" on my tv then I would see regular hd channels from the hd receiver located in that room?

So you are saying I would just split the coax cable going to the tv2 of the dvr and run it into the regular coax connection on the hdtv in the master bedroom. If I connect the hd receiver that is in the bedroom with hdmi and the split is run into the coax connection on the back of that same tv then I will see what is playing on the dvr while in "cable input". When I switch to "hd input" on my tv then I would see regular hd channels from the hd receiver located in that room?
YES. You can split the TV2 signal from your HD DVR & connect it to the coax connection on your HD TV or any other TV in your home. Using the input for that connection would give you DVR control but the signal will be SD. You'd also have to control it with the TV2 remote (UHF) from the DVR receiver. You stated that your master bedroom had a HD receiver but its not a DVR, correct? If so, the HD you view from that receiver won't have any DVR capablity. Sounds like you really needed TWO 722's or a 622 and 722.

Ed

FYI: You CAN feed HD signals to two HDTV's at the same time by using component on one, HDMI on the other in SINGLE mode, so you can control the receiver & view HD from another room with the TV2 (UHF) remote. SAME channel at the SAME time. I do it myself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)