Watch one show, record another (DP510)

Tratt

Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
I have a Dish DP510. I would like to watch one show and record a different show at the same time on the same set.

* Does Dish rent a unit that will allow me to watch one show and record a different show at the same time on the same set (dual tuner?)? What is the rental cost?

* Is there a compatible third party box that will allow me to have all of my Dish functionality and give me the ability to watch one show and record a different show at the same time on the same set?

I assume you mean watch a live show while recording a live show. With Dish you have the following options.

721 - Discontinued but you might be able to get one on Ebay or through other means.
522 - Lease only and not available to current Dish customer's yet. need to wait till January so I am told.
921 - HD unit with PVR cabability. Fire sale going on right now with them.

If you are looking to watch a recorded channel while taping a live channel your 510 already does it.

I can find the 721 on ebay for $175. Should I get full Dish functionality with these? Any things to watch out for?

With the 510 you can record 1 show and watch 1 previously recorded show. You cannot watch 1 show and watch another live show.

The 721 has two tuners. Just make sure there is not a balance on the smart card.

Tratt said:
I can find the 721 on ebay for $175. Should I get full Dish functionality with these? Any things to watch out for?

With a Dual tuner DVR (721, 921, 522) you need to have two cables running from the switch/Dish to the receiver (Assuming you dont' have the DP44). If you have 44, then you can get away with a single cable run.

EBAY purchases

Before purchasing any receiver through EBAY or other sources ask the seller what the S/N is and call Dish Network to verify that there are no fees attached to that particular S/N. I was told when looking into purchasing a used unit through EBAY that if the previous owner owed any outstanding charges that the unit would not be authorized for use until all fees had been paid. Glad I checked. Found it cheaper through Dish Net than EBAY but had to sign up for a 1 year contract. Still worth it.

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)