Watch one show, record another (DP510)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tratt

Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
I have a Dish DP510. I would like to watch one show and record a different show at the same time on the same set.

* Does Dish rent a unit that will allow me to watch one show and record a different show at the same time on the same set (dual tuner?)? What is the rental cost?

* Is there a compatible third party box that will allow me to have all of my Dish functionality and give me the ability to watch one show and record a different show at the same time on the same set?

I assume you mean watch a live show while recording a live show. With Dish you have the following options.

721 - Discontinued but you might be able to get one on Ebay or through other means.
522 - Lease only and not available to current Dish customer's yet. need to wait till January so I am told.
921 - HD unit with PVR cabability. Fire sale going on right now with them.

If you are looking to watch a recorded channel while taping a live channel your 510 already does it.

I can find the 721 on ebay for $175. Should I get full Dish functionality with these? Any things to watch out for?

With the 510 you can record 1 show and watch 1 previously recorded show. You cannot watch 1 show and watch another live show.

The 721 has two tuners. Just make sure there is not a balance on the smart card.

Tratt said:
I can find the 721 on ebay for $175. Should I get full Dish functionality with these? Any things to watch out for?

With a Dual tuner DVR (721, 921, 522) you need to have two cables running from the switch/Dish to the receiver (Assuming you dont' have the DP44). If you have 44, then you can get away with a single cable run.

EBAY purchases

Before purchasing any receiver through EBAY or other sources ask the seller what the S/N is and call Dish Network to verify that there are no fees attached to that particular S/N. I was told when looking into purchasing a used unit through EBAY that if the previous owner owed any outstanding charges that the unit would not be authorized for use until all fees had been paid. Glad I checked. Found it cheaper through Dish Net than EBAY but had to sign up for a 1 year contract. Still worth it.

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)