Watch Recorded Show Simultaneously

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I've got a newbie Hopper/Joey question....can I watch a DVR show on the Hopper and a Joey simultaneously and in sync with each other? This would be like watching a live TV show at the same time on both of them. I could walk to a different room and the same show would playing at the same time at the exact same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a newbie Hopper/Joey question....can I watch a DVR show on the Hopper and a Joey simultaneously and in sync with each other? This would be like watching a live TV show at the same time on both of them. I could walk to a different room and the same show would playing at the same time at the exact same spot.

Sorry to say it does not sync. That is why I installed RF modulators on three of my HWSs so I can at least sync in SD version to all my TVs.

Last edited:
The hard drive must record before it can play back on the Joey so there is a slight delay sort of like an echo at a sporting event stadium.

The hard drive must record before it can play back on the Joey so there is a slight delay sort of like an echo at a sporting event stadium.
That's true with live programming. However, you can't make that work with a DVRd show.

If I'm not mistaken, even live programming is recorded when watching on the Hopper. That's how we're able to pause, rewind, etc. The delay is more attributable to the MOCA network....

Reactions: thomasjk
Again, yes for live TV and even in recording in progress on that tuner, but that does not apply to playing back a recorded even from the My Recordings DVR list.

It is interesting how challenging it is for any of these companies to design DVR's to meet the needs and desires of its users. Mirrored DVR playback can probably be done technically, but the investment in time to code it and being a feature that Dish or other DVR makers feel would be nice, but not enough demand for them to go to the trouble and cost to provide it. However, if enough people really want and demand such a feature, Dish would consider it.

It's too bad they don't support it. As we move around the house doing chores or whatever, it'd be nice to have a DVR show playing on multiple Joey/Hoppers so we catch what's going on wherever we are in the house.....like you can do with the 722's. I guess they assume the vast majority of people just plop down in 1 spot and never get up when watching a DVR show..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's too bad they don't support it. As we move around the house doing chores or whatever, it'd be nice to have a DVR show playing on multiple Joey/Hoppers so we catch what's going on wherever we are in the house.....like you can do with the 722's. I guess they assume the vast majority of people just plop down in 1 spot and never get up when watching a DVR show..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is some good news. Dave Zatz reports a trademark by the name of "AirTV" by Echostar (the sister company that provides all the tech for Dish). Dave thinks it may be a tradename for something like what Miracast does. This could mirror from your mobile, laptop, all sorts of devices etc. to your HDTV's. So, one could pull up the recording and play it back on your mobile or even PC/laptop, and cast it to an HDTV or, perhaps, two HDTV's. I don't really know what Echostar's "AirTV" is nor how it will work of if it allow multiple HDTV's to accept the cast, but it could be something of a solution should we ever see it, and I think we will because DirecTV has something that sounds similar that it will implement as per DirecTV Revolutions reporting from our man Scott.

Just noticed this thread while searching for something else...

My clunky work-around: Pause in a room while you're watching, move to the next room, access the Recording from there, then Resume from the other room. Clunk, but it works. Sure would be better to be able to Join, though.

Related, when my son and I watch The Walking Dead "together" (he from Northern California, me in Arizona), even though it's recording, it's much easier for a Remote Viewer to access while it's still in the hour buffer. So I tune to AMC before the start of the recording, then pause, and I control the zipping through commercials. He says it's tougher for him to skip through commercials via Remote Viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts