Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
It went way too quickly! Watson couldn't answer any decade question of which there were several. He had some right but because his level of confidence was low he did not push the button. As you would expect some of his associations based on the words used in the question were off. But anyone who has some knowledge of programming will be quite impressed.

Long term, I can see where at some point a computer may be able to come up with solutions that take us years to find, such as medical cures or at least what causes a medical condition, by looking at all the variables from years of data we give it.

Phottoman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Phottoette and I were talking about this after the show was over. She said it reminded her of "Get Smart" and a robot they had on the show, smart, but not "street" smart. Nuances would be lost, defining sarcasm would never work.

I think if Watson were told to "Hop to it," or "Kill the light on your way out," the words would be taken literally and there in lies the problem.

At my age, nearly 70, this is all still Buck Rogers stuff to me. It'll never work (sarcastic remark).

Photto

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
After watching this, two observations:
1. I am very impressed at how far this technology has come. Watson was kicking butt for a while.
2. I am pretty confident that I won't still be around when the machines take over and harvest humans for energy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)