Watching Dish TV at nursing home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sarness

Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Ohio
Not sure on the possibility of this, my mom is in a nursing home until she is well enough to return home.

And she very much misses her Dish shows, I doubt they will let us put a dish out there to pick up a signal, and I'm not sure about Dish anywhere, I've used it, but may not be what she wants.

I haven't kept up with things, so is there something else I should look into?

Thanks,

Steven

Does she have access to a good internet connection?
Dish Anywhere or any of the other options need a decent speed internet to work.

If she does, and has a dish hopper access, she can either stream to a phone, a tablet/laptop, or to a tv . The tv option requires an Amazon fire stick plugged into tv and has the Dish anywhere app in it's menu.

Another option is cell phone/tablet streaming which also works well but requires a good data plan to support it.

There are lots of package options for streaming if she does not like D Anywhere you would need to pick one that has her favorite programs.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not sure on the possibility of this, my mom is in a nursing home until she is well enough to return home.

And she very much misses her Dish shows, I doubt they will let us put a dish out there to pick up a signal, and I'm not sure about Dish anywhere, I've used it, but may not be what she wants.

I haven't kept up with things, so is there something else I should look into?

Thanks,

Steven
There is no such thing as Dish shows, only Broadcast and Cable Channels.

They have no cable there that she could temporarily use until she gets better?

The other option is the internet services like YTTV, it should have the same channels she likes.

The only reason that might work is there is no contract, so can use it temporary, but the Nursing home has to have good enough broadband, if you decide to with this option, get a Roku, that is the easiest device to use.

But if she is not comfortable with Dish Anywhere, I doubt she will like OTT streaming services, I would then look in to the Cable option based on where she is.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I believe they have spectrum where she is at, little tuner box in each room, but no channel guides or show schedules.

I would have to test the internet and see if it's any good and not sure how happy they would be with the constant traffic on it. I have a hotspot that I can put there, not sure how fast it will consume the data.

A dish would be best as she is familiar with it, something similar would be great, I'm honestly not sure if it's more on familiarity then it is content. We just moved here from one to the other and she kept telling me what channel # she wanted to watch, but it wasn't the show she wanted.

Thanks for the info so far.

She probably has the same programs available, but the channel numbers are different. She pushes the number for the channel she wants, but it's not the same as the Dish Network channel number. She might be able to work with the staff to get the network that she wants.

Getting older sucks.

No nursing home or assisted living facility will allow any satellite service. They have agreements with local cable company and provide very reasonably priced cable service to guests. Somebody or you when you visit need to show her how to view guide channel. As Mdonnelly mentioned above, you need to find out what Spectrum channels match her Dish channels she wants. Make a small list for her on a piece of paper.

The most importantly, make her life easy when she is there. Rokus, Fire sticks, streaming !!! She will be overwhelmed and get lost.

I know from experience. My late mother-in-law spent her last few years in a Western PA assisted living place. Basic cable and a cell phone with no data. talk & text. She was happy. We got her an ipad with mostly card games. She was thrilled!!

Thanks everyone for the input so far, we have a bit of a road to travel yet to see where she stands.

Something familiar will be hard to do until she gets back home.

I don't remember seeing a channel list, and I've gone though all the channels and hadn't come across a guide, I'll work with the staff and see what we can do.

My mom is a little computer savvy and plays some online games, she has done stuff on her phone also, we'll just have to see I guess.

My apology then. When we talked to the administration of the facility we used, they were very strict. Cable or indoor antenna. They didn't want dishes on the roof and dealing with cables. They were pretty confident similiar places wouldn't allow it either.

Reactions: HipKat
My apology then. When we talked to the administration of the facility we used, they were very strict. Cable or indoor antenna. They didn't want dishes on the roof and dealing with cables. They were pretty confident similiar places wouldn't allow it either.
No matter what the truth may be, do you think that it is more likely that they would say:

A. No, we don't allow that and no one else does either, so don't look at other places, keep your loved one (and the associated money) here.

-Or-

B. Well, we don't allow it, but other places may. Please go shop around before you decide to stay here.

To answer Joegr:
Small city with few private and one government run nursing homes/ assisted living. We went to a private assisted living. Individual rooms for each guest had a cable connection. The monthly cable fee was lower that what you get at your own home. So, that was sweet. The administration probably knew what other facilities did for cable/satellite service in that city.
I am surprised that some places allow satellite service in different cities/states as installer Hipkat mentioned. I would think that running cables from the roof to rooms for few months/years wouldn‘t be convenient. Again, Hipkat is the man to answer that.
Hopefully, Sarness’’ mom will get what she wants during her stay there.

To answer Joegr:
Small city with few private and one government run nursing homes/ assisted living. We went to a private assisted living. Individual rooms for each guest had a cable connection. The monthly cable fee was lower that what you get at your own home. So, that was sweet. The administration probably knew what other facilities did for cable/satellite service in that city.
I am surprised that some places allow satellite service in different cities/states as installer Hipkat mentioned. I would think that running cables from the roof to rooms for few months/years wouldn‘t be convenient. Again, Hipkat is the man to answer that.
Hopefully, Sarness’’ mom will get what she wants during her stay there.
We won't know until Hip replies, but my guess would be that the installations were commercial multi-room systems like those used for apartment buildings, hotels/motels, RV parks, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)