Watching DTV on a computer monitor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdog73

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I'd like to watch DTV through my computer monitor.

THe monitor I have now has no speakers so it would have to go though the computer to use the speakers. I'd be willing to buy a new LCD as long as I could use it mainly for compting but also for watching TV. Do the current crop of monitors support this. I assume I'd need a special adapter from the directv box to my monitor since I haven't seen mointors with composite or component plugs.

Any advice would be helpful.

mdog73 said:
I'd like to watch DTV through my computer monitor.

THe monitor I have now has no speakers so it would have to go though the computer to use the speakers. I'd be willing to buy a new LCD as long as I could use it mainly for compting but also for watching TV. Do the current crop of monitors support this. I assume I'd need a special adapter from the directv box to my monitor since I haven't seen mointors with composite or component plugs.

Any advice would be helpful.

You need to get a Windows Media Center 2005 PC. Then you not only get the benefits of being able to watch TV on your computer monitor, but you can also use the full capabilities of a DVR as well.

good, I plan on using a DVR for this too.

I have tried using a PCTV card and the pic/sound don't sync at all.

I have one of those Dell LCD TVs in my room. I'm using the computer right now and I'm watching my directv in a little PiP window. I can also put it in just tv mode and watch tv with the computer off. If you're looking for a new monitor anyway, I'd suggest one that has a tv capability built in. If you want to capture shows to your computer, then go with the tuner card.

Best part, my RCA remote for my D* box can also be programmed to control the LCD.

I want something like that, I'd like to be able to watch tv without turning on the computer. What do I need to look for in those monitors?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)