Watching Show While Recording via ViP622

mjtate10

Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I want to make the switch from cable to Dish. I have one thing I would like to verify, can you start watching a show while it is recording. For example, if Lost is recording at 9:00, and I turn on the TV at 9:30 and start watching from the beginning? I am assuming so, but my current DVR is unable to do this.

Also, how many programs can you record at one time? I have read you can record 3 at most, one on each Dish tuner and 1 show with the OTA tuner. Is this right?

Thanks

Yes.

and

Yes.

We always let something start recording and then start watching it about 15 minutes in. This way, at the end we are just about live (due to skipping commercials.)

I have on occasion recorded 3 things at once (2 Dish and 1 OTA). I haven't ever tried 3 HD streams at once, but it should handle it.

On many occasions I've recorded 3 HD channels and watched a 4th HD program (prerecorded) at the same time. Works perfectly.

Most shows are 40 minutes long, so if you start watching at 20 minutes into a show, you will be able to skip all the commercials and finish watching the show at the hour.

I hate to tell you guys but recording 3 HD shows at once can become a problem. My DVR fills up really fast that way, haha ;)

I hate to tell you guys but recording 3 HD shows at once can become a problem. My DVR fills up really fast that way, haha ;)

Say..can we save the HD shows and burn to DVD using their PocketDish solutions?

Thursday nights get really bad with up to 7 hours of HD to be recorded. Sundays and Mondays will get bad as the regular shows return. Hopefully to be seen then or on the next night. Combined with movies and travel shows it quickly fills the disk. I try to keep up with DVD+R on the movies to keep, but I am weeks behind. At say 7:1 for HD:SD you must work on the HD first but then you have many hours of SD left. Now to convince the other half to try to keep up and for both to stay awake.

I use S-video recording (HDMI output) and have only seen one component recorder. Do others have a list of component/HDMI/DVI recorders? Cheap!
-Ken

HD shows will not transfer to the PocketDish.

Sigh. that's too bad.

As a side note... is this technically correct?:

Regular SD programming is broadcasted at MPEG2 quality.
that takes up 1Gb of drive space for every one hour.

HD programming is broadcasted in MPEG4 quality.
that takes up 10Gb of drive space for every one hour.

Sigh. that's too bad.

The HD MPEG2 is 10Gb/Hr, depending on resolution and compression.

HD MPEG4 actually takes up less space but the space calculation is not accurate yet.

PocketDish won't transfer any of the HD.

Sigh. that's too bad.

The 622 holds 200 hrs of SD programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)