Water Channel? - Rant

nitstalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Ok.. one more post this morning.... I was bored and trying to find something on tv... I stopped on the R&R channel (dont know why... maybe had a brain anureism) and there was a network promo on.. It had surfing and boating and all kinds of crap on it... and then the end it said 'The WATER Channel' on Dish Network there was a thing at the bottom with a dish logo and a channel number but i didnt pay no mind at the time...

Just makes you realize what CRAP E* is putting up there... Takes good channels away, doesnt have the bandwidth for HD and doesnt have the space for other good channels but DOES have space for crap like the Water Channel... Kinda ranks with BingoTV (which is blacked out for me... Im in Delaware)

Hi! :) I just checked out the R and R channel... (theres no water Channel on it) nore can i find it.. Those channels have allways been crap.. they have been there forever and was just recently renamed... The water channel would actually fit with the R and R channel as its a "channel devoted to resort and rest" as far as echostar not having badwith to put up hd.. that is wrong Echo has tones of bandwith and is testing hd in several places right now. I think the reason why all this bandwith isnt used is becasue echo wants some extra bandwith for mpg4 swap out of hd channels.. you should see some hd movement soon. when? thats the million dollar question! Thats my idea..

it's just creative PR and marketing for channels. It's a new style for the shopping channels on Dish.

Just continue to ignore them.

We would probably be more likely see a graphics clock when you hit a certain number as if you turned it to a specific channel or a certain sequence of buttons (code) to get such functions than to have wasted bandwidth for such a thing.

nitstalker said:
Just makes you realize what CRAP E* is putting up there... Takes good channels away, doesnt have the bandwidth for HD and doesnt have the space for other good channels

I'm with you on the second and third point, but what "good channels" have they "taken away"?

Don't tell me you were the guy that actually watched Reality TV! I can't remember any other channels they've taken off that weren't Public Service.

M Sparks said:
I'm with you on the second and third point, but what "good channels" have they "taken away"?

Don't tell me you were the guy that actually watched Reality TV! I can't remember any other channels they've taken off that weren't Public Service.
oln

Yeah, I read about OLN right after I posted that. And it's not Comcast's "choice", they raised the rates, and DISH refuses to pay them.

I don't watch OLN myself, but I can see why people would be ticked. Still, it has nothing to do with bandwidth. And those shopping channels help absorb some of the programming costs, which is why I don't complain. My real complaint is that I have to subsidize some other guy watching ESPN so I can watch Comedy Central. But that's just how the business works, and shopping channels are a part of that.

Still, I've never understood why these infomercial channels would WANT to pay for carriage. Shopping channels are one thing...obviously someone's buying. But a block of infomercial channels is not the same thing as flipping around late at night and accidentally getting sucked into one. You have to actually say to yourself "Hey, I wonder what infomercials are on?"

Changing the names of the channels works... exactly once. I admit I tuned to all three of these channels- R&R, iDrive, and the Prevue channel (or whatever it is). I saw the same old infomercials and switched off immediately.

LOL Ok, Ok.... Well I admidt I did only watch it once in a while... Tho the only thing I did watch on there was "The Bravest" or one of the obscure wannabe versions of Cops.... But... my point being... is that they can continually add crappy channels that virtually no one will watch...

It seems that E* is stacking in channels lately that are very obscure genre specific channels that are nickel and dime priced (I hope) just to make him say that he has ALLLL these channels when it comes to advertising and when he goes to raise our rates again, he can say oh we put in 10 (or whatever) new channels this year...

There are many networks out there that E* could be carrying that would actually add consumer value to their pakages instead of just filling them...

I mostly support E* in their doings... but they need to refocus on the Consumer and not Charlie's view of things.

If he doesnt, I am sure that the Cable companies, D* and now, FIOS will take care of that...

M Sparks said:

nitstalker said:
It seems that E* is stacking in channels lately that are very obscure genre specific channels that are nickel and dime priced (I hope) just to make him say that he has ALLLL these channels when it comes to advertising and when he goes to raise our rates again, he can say oh we put in 10 (or whatever) new channels this year...

I think one of us is missing the point. What "very obscure" channels are you talking about? The only additions I've seen lately are big-time sports channels. I have no interest in them, but I know they have pretty broad appeal.

If you're still talking about "The Water Channel"- it's not a "real" channel. It appears to be on 216 a few hours a day, and it pays DISH for carriage, not the other way around.

BTW- someone is also paying DISH to run some hunting shows on "The Men's Channel", and DISH is touting it was an "alternative" to Outdoor Life. Someone should tell them that Outdoor CHANNEL is the hunting channel. Wasn't Outdoor Life mainly cycling and boating shows? I never watched much, but it always seemed more appealing than the Outdoor Channel.

The funniest/saddest thing I ever saw on Outdoor Channel was a few years ago during the Iditarod. A man from my state was running it, despite the fact that he was dying of AIDS and going blind. All the local media did all these "courageous" stories about him leading up to the race. We tuned into Outdoor Channel because they supposedly had coverage of the race. The coverage turned out to be a big-time-redneck on a fake cabin set. It looked like a public access show. The redneck announced that this man had to drop out of the race, and referred to him as "the guy with full-blown AIDS" with a sneer on his face. Ick.

BTW, for you southern gentlemen, I'm not calling him a redneck because he has an accent. I'm calling him a redneck because he was a big dumb oaf wearing overalls and a John Deer cap, even though he was supposed to be in Alaska.

Slamminc11 said:
That was Comcraps choice, not Dish's!
Um. No. Dish chose to remove the channel if it wasn't going to include the NHL games.

M Sparks said:
Yeah, I read about OLN right after I posted that. And it's not Comcast's "choice", they raised the rates, and DISH refuses to pay them.
Not exactly. OLN provides the NHL programming to cable/dbs providers that have OLN in a tier that is available to a minimum number of subs, I've heard 40%. For those providers that keep OLN in a more exclusive tier, like AT180, they insert alternate outdoor-themed programming during the NHL games. Charlie chose to drop OLN if it didn't get NHL at the AT180 tier.

Sure, OLN will make more money at AT120. But, it will only be pennies per Dish sub. The real revenue increase will come from advertising dollars based upon increased viewership.

Personally, I think that Charlie doesn't want anyone telling him what to do; he wants the NHL programming on his terms (it's a HUGE carrot to get people to upgrade to AT180); and if they don't like that, he's taking his ball and going home. Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. :river

Slamminc11 said:
That was Comcraps choice, not Dish's!

YEA BUT DO YOU REALY MISS IT? I KNOW I DONT. UNLESS YOUR SOME GUY THAT LIKES TO HUNT, FISH AND WHATEVER OUTHER BORING CRAP THEY HAD ON IT. WHICH BY THE WAY I AM A GUY THAT DOES THE FIRST 2, BUT WOULD RATHER BE DOING IT THEY WATCH SOME WANNABE ACTOR DESCRIBE HOW HE IS "SILENTLY" SITTING ON A POST TO SHOOT A DEER, THAT YOU NEVER SEE AFTERWARDS IF HE HIT IT OR NOT. I GUESS AS NOT TO OFFEND THE ASPCA AND THE PETA PEOPLE.

RIRWIN1983 said:
YEA BUT DO YOU REALY MISS IT? I KNOW I DONT. UNLESS YOUR SOME GUY THAT LIKES TO HUNT, FISH AND WHATEVER OUTHER BORING CRAP THEY HAD ON IT. WHICH BY THE WAY I AM A GUY THAT DOES THE FIRST 2, BUT WOULD RATHER BE DOING IT THEY WATCH SOME WANNABE ACTOR DESCRIBE HOW HE IS "SILENTLY" SITTING ON A POST TO SHOOT A DEER, THAT YOU NEVER SEE AFTERWARDS IF HE HIT IT OR NOT. I GUESS AS NOT TO OFFEND THE ASPCA AND THE PETA PEOPLE.

A) take your cap lock off, all your yelling is making my head hurt!
B) I didn't watch OLN when hockey was around before, I didn't watch OLN when hockey was "taking a break" for a year, and I didn't watch OLN when hockey came back. There is only one hockey team I watch, and since I can see them play on Altitude Sports (and I'm having trouble caring to even watch that right now) I don't need to waste my monday or tuesday nite freaking out about what is or isn't showing on OLN.
C) If OLN was the only way to watch hockey, I mean no RSN's, no CI, only OLN, I could understand all this freaking out by everyone, but it's not. Okay, so you might miss your team play one game. Your life isn't going to end, the world isn't going to stop rotating. The gods are not going to smite you. If you were counting on JUST OLN to bring you all your hockey this year, then you aren't really a hockey fan anyway. That's just my opinion of course.
D) If any group needs to be offended, it needs to be PETA! They are as big of a joke as OLN carrying hockey is. Here is a group that says it protects animals, but kills most of the ones they "rescue". Don't get me wrong, I have never pointed a gun (literally, okay a paintball gun once) ever, but if it comes down to feeding me and my family or letting an animal live, Bambi, Thumper, Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Tony, BooBoo, Bullwinckle, Bugs, Yogi, Porky, and all their mates are all goners! And I won't feel one bit bad about it or who it pissed off!

Again, I thought Outdoor Life was more of a ,well ,Outdoor "LIFE" channel. When I worked for a TV station, we used to take Outdoor Life feeds for the sports reports all the time. This was before they had hockey, and obviously we weren't getting hunting or fishing shows. Seems like OLN had all the best coverage of the Tour De France and things like that.

So it's certainly replaceable as far as hockey, hunting, and fishing goes. But since DISH subcribers weren't even getting the hockey games, they won't be missing it. Expect a slow uproar over the coming months when cycling fans (or whatever other sports they had exclusive coverage on) realize its gone.

Normally I like Charlie's strong arm tactics, but this one might backfire on him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts