Way to improve the pic quality?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

safetyfastmg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
HD channels look good on my Samsung 42" Plasma. Non HD looks like crap. For instance, I was trying to watch the Indy F1 race Sunday and the pic was so grainy it looked much much worse than watching on in the old days with rabbit ears on a 19" tube tv. Is there something I can do to improve the quality. I don't expect HD quality, but I would have thought DVD quality or close to it was not too much to ask. I had that with cable.

Not saying I disagree, but generally Sat SD is much better than Cable SD, and has been for me.

That being said, expecting dvd quality on a larger HDTV with SD is a reach.

Broadcast SD content on an HDTV always looks like crap.

Analog cable has about 230 lines of resolution.

Even digital cable has low resolution, it's just converted to digital so it doesn't look as bad.

Satellite will definately give you a better picture than cable. If it's possible, you could set your receiver to display SD content in 480P. It would be upscaled but not as grainy.

The above post made me think of something else. If I leave my 622 set to 1080i or 720p on SD channels, its makes them look worse than sending the 480i signal to my tv.

The above post made me think of something else. If I leave my 622 set to 1080i or 720p on SD channels, its makes them look worse than sending the 480i signal to my tv.

So, can I set my 622 to send HD channels in 1080 and SD channels in 480 or do I have to switch back and forth depending on the channel?

No, don't bother switching. Just let your TV automatically adjust. Your TV will rescale the signal. Whether the ViP622 or your TV does a better job of rescaling, is the question. Probably not a lot of difference, and it beats manually changing it.

Granted I dont notice much of anything between 720p and 1080i (at least not that I can claim scientifically) I do see that my Sony 720p tv gives better PQ with the 622 sending 480i to it, rather than the 622 taking up in resolution for the tv.

That was my reasoning behind the suggestion. He may or may not see a difference. I would think that the Sammy would do a better job upscaling the 480i. Once again, pure opinion.

Yes. Perhaps my post was stronger than intended. Better, yes- but worth the trouble?

You'd think putting out native passthru would be easy. Easier than adjusting the resolution.

At least he doesn't have one of those CRTs that won't recognize certain input resolutions.

Yeah, I feel for the guys with those tv's.

Its a matter of choice on the switching, I do it and it only takes me 5 seconds which does not bother me, but it might be too much for some. Then others Im sure are like my father inlaw who left his hr20 on 480p all the time :clap

Why watch the Indy F1 race in sd anyway. It is the only race we get from the F1 world coverage that is in HD, as it was our home market. It looked great here in HD on FOX, recorded it off the OTA feed.

Perfect timing here, the local Fox station's transmitter went Doa Sunday morning, still down as of this morning, so I missed my chance at an HD F1 race. Damn!

SD channels on many fixed resolution panel HDTVs generally look like crap. This is due to the way it has to scale the video to work with that fixed resolution. I still think SD on E* looks better than SD on D* or many cable systems. FIOS SD OTOH looks very clean most of the time. SD-LIL most of the time looks terrible on most systems. Just how it is.

I have a 65" Mitsubishi HD monitor and when I play a DVD the picture quality is noticeably better than SD on E*. Let's hope that when E* mirrors all HD and SD programming on the new MPEG4 bird that they give both the necessary bandwidth to improve picture quality over what it is today. There is no reason why SD shouldn't be comparable to a DVD quality picture. Our expectation should be no less than that.

Mini dish providers over compress there SD and HD, the SD is unwatchable and the HD is ok untill things start to move fast, if you want good quality SD and HD go with cable, FiOS or big dish other than that you are stuck with over compressed picture and sound.

Why watch the Indy F1 race in sd anyway. It is the only race we get from the F1 world coverage that is in HD, as it was our home market. It looked great here in HD on FOX, recorded it off the OTA feed.
There's no choice to watch OTA when you live in a rural area. Don't have that luxury.

Hdtv

My first concern for anyone who is about to buy a HD tv is to view the content in SD. Having hooked up many HD receivers for my customers, it is after they have purchased the tv and I have seen some sad results for sd. That includes all the high priced Sony's. The best sd pictures I have seen come from Samsung DLP. Spending all that money on plasma doe'n not mean you will get a good sd pic. The "ONLY" reason to purchase a plasma tv is if you have to hang it on the wall!:mad:

I have always used the S-video output when viewing SD programming. Many TV's do a better job of up-converting then the Dish STB/receiver. If you use HDMI for the HD channels you can also output 480i through the S-video/Composite video outputs at the same time. This works better with CRT/Tube sets, but also(IMO) improves SD picture quality on Plasma and LCD sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)