WCCB Charlotte, NC To Lose Its Fox Affiliation

While Eric seem like a likeable guy,wow is he ever overly dramatic when there are warnings or watches.Sometimes I worry he is going to pop a vein!It's like it his mission to strike fear in the viewers.For me Al Conklin works much better.Keith Monday isn't too bad either.

I know both Al and Eric and have been in the studio with them a few times while they are on the air. Eric is honestly very passionate about the weather - his demeanor is genuine when there's a severe weather threat. If he comes across as striking fear, I don't think he's hyping things for only "hyping" sake. He's kind of a hyper person even when the weather is benign, so it just naturally ramps up for him when there's a severe threat. He is really conveying a passionate message that viewers need to be on alert. I believe he really cares about the viewers' safety.

Yes,I can see he is very passionate about the weather.I also agree that he seems to genuinely care about the safety of the viewers.He does a good job most of the time.My wife doesn't like to watch him when severe weather is brewing though.

some info from the Charlotte Observer in regards to WCCB

Q: Will Fox Charlotte drop its newscasts?

This is the one certainty: No. WCCB has a sizable investment in its news operation and its high-definition studios at One Television Place beside Bojangles’ Coliseum. It programs four hours of news in the morning and an hour at night. It is a profit center.

Losing the newscasts would also be a loss to the city. Though it has the smallest TV news department in town, it provides a voice other stations don’t match. It has never been big on illustrating the police scanner with video. Instead, it has police Chief Rodney Monroe come in to address viewer questions.

Its thoughtful “Defend Charlotte” series on the region’s growth challenges and more recent “Reboot Charlotte,” focusing on the post-recession climate, have dug into issues that other stations ignore in favor of the latest wreck or robbery. “Fox News Rising” and the late night “Fox News Edge” are largely popcorn shows aimed at the young adult audience, but they too serve a niche.

Q: How long will it continue calling itself “Fox Charlotte?”

Probably at least a month. WCCB quit using its call letters a decade ago and branded its local news and sports programs with the Fox name. When it figures out what it is going to become and what it wants to be called, you can expect a big campaign.

WCCB also has the most clever promotions department in town, known for its out-of-left-field approach, such as dressing anchor Morgan Fogarty like June Cleaver of “Leave It to Beaver” in old-style black-and-white ads. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see it count down the final weeks of the network affiliation as “Un-Fox Charlotte” or something equally as coy.

Q: Which station will pick up the Fox programs?

Likely WJZY (Channel 46). Fox networks already own the rerun program service carried on WMYT (Channel 55) and would probably leave it there.

Q: Will WCCB pick up the CW network carried now on WJZY?

Likely, but there could be other scenarios. Also, the CW contract with WJZY has more than two years left to run, and the network could require it to be carried there if it wanted to. But the CW’s best hope would be to land at WCCB, whose viewers would remain somewhat loyal to the station, particularly if it continues its newscasts.

WCCB would probably leap to the top 10 in strength of local CW affiliates nationally, though the network’s programs draw only a fraction of the ratings that Fox shows get.

Q: Will WJZY launch its own news department?

Almost certainly. Fox likes its affiliates to have strong local news, and as an owned-and-operated station, it would invest heavily. WBTV (Channel 3) now provides nightly 10 p.m. newscasts to WJZY and that contract runs through the summer, giving Fox time to build a team.

Adding a newsroom at WJZY’s studios in south Mecklenburg would be a snug fit. Fox can be expected to consider moving its operations to University City, where it owns Speed channel and has room to grow.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ws-team.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

Apparently, change is already in the air at WCCB. According to www.newsblues.com (pay site), 14-year News Director Ken White is out the door - his dismissal came via phone over the weekend! The Charlotte Observer reports that White's replacement is WCCB's assistant news director Angela Robbins. So, it would seem to me that WCCB is looking for new leadership in the news department to steer the station toward life without Fox and more news competition in the Charlotte TV landscape. And to comment on what Iceberg posted from the Charlotte Observer - I guess sometime in March we will see the beginning of diminished references to the "Fox" brand. Can't say that I blame them - might as well start getting accustomed to "no Fox". And it just occurred to me that they could really start doing some Fox-bashing - and I can see some of their outspoken personalities making some Fox jabs. I mean what can Fox do? Yank their affiliation? :D

I thought I posted that article too but realized I PM'd it to someone who also has a Bahakal owned channel in their market. He (Ken) is temporary at a different Bahakal channel (WBBJ Jackson, TN)

Ken White, who launched the Fox Charlotte (WCCB, Channel 18) news department in 2000, will be replaced by his assistant news director, Angela Robbins.
With 13 years in Charlotte, White is the longest-serving news director in town. He learned over the weekend that he was being replaced.

He is on temporary assignment at WBBJ-TV in Jackson, Tenn., which like Fox Charlotte is owned by Charlotte-based Bahakel Communications. He is expected to continue in Jackson, which is looking for a news director and has some technology installations coming, for at least two months.
http://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2013/02/news-director-change-at-fox-charlotte.html

basically its the "stock" fox O&O logo.
Here is ours in Minneapolis

KMSP.jpg

It's been sad - but interesting - to see how WCCB has begun to distance themselves from Fox over the past couple months. Their two daily newscasts - Fox News Rising and Fox News at 10 now go by "Rising" and "WCCB News at 10". "Fox" has also been stricken from a couple of their locally produced staples like Fox News Edge and Fox Got Sports - they have just simply dropped the "Fox" from the title. Many promos for their syndicated shows still reference "Fox Charlotte" but I'm guessing these were created (by an agency) in bulk at the beginning of the season and those would be expensive to get re-done. So, I supposed they will keep using those as long as they can. Also, this week, the morning hosts have ditched their "Fox News Rising" coffee mugs - under the guise that they are now doing some sort of weirdest/strangest-looking coffee mug competition. Also, their website is still Fox Charlotte.

surprise surprise...per their site

SURPRISE! Starting July 1, WCCB will be a CW affiliate!

just as we kinda thought all along

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)