We FTA'ers are an interesting group

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Was out tweaking the dish farm today when my neighbor came out, saw what I was doing and said "you're working on that again???

"Yep" :) to which he replied "don't you just watch TV instead of working on the dishes?"

which got me to thinking....we FTA'ers are an interesting bunch (and in a good way). We don't like to be contempt with what we already have and like to do oddball things and push the FTA envelope.

So I started thinking...what makes a FTA'er different than someone who has Dish/Direct...so here we go. Random thoughts

What makes a FTA'er different than someone with Dish/Direct

1. DBS subs get mad when they need a bigger dish. FTA'ers welcome it :)
2. DBS subs whine when they need a 2nd dish to get all their channels. FTA'ers have 5 or 6 dishes to get everything they want (and love it)
3. scanning a satellite and seeing a new channel brings a smile to your face
4. having that channel in English makes that smile bigger
5. You know what "FTE" means and love when it happens ;)
6. DBS subs tear down their C-Band dish because "there's nothing left on there". A FTA'er scoops it up because we know there is :D
7. Your neighbor can become your best friend when you can see the game and he can't :D
8. You wake up at night thinking about how to make your system better
9. You go looking to buy a new house and a good southern view is a MUST
10. You're deathly afraid of heights yet you will climb on your roof to fix your system
11. Your neighbors have no idea why one minute your dish is facing SE and 5 minutes later its moving and now is SW
12. When Al Jazeera English was coming soon, DBS subs said "we dont want that crap on our system". FTA'ers say "sweet...new channel"
13. You put up a dish to get a satellite your motorized doesn't get even though there are no channels on there you understand. Hey its more channels :)
14. Having your favorite channel leave the air can bring tears to your eyes
15. These two words on your screen will make anyone mad..."Scrambled Channel" (especially when it wasn't 2 days ago)
16. When someone says its not possible, you prove them wrong
17. When someone picks up a new dish, the rest of the group says "sweet" or "congrats" like they just had a baby
18. You laugh when you can get a KU dish up and tweaked to max signal quicker than a Dish/Direct installer can install your neighbors Dish1000/Slimline
19. You know what Diseqc, 4:2:2, DVB-S2 and FEC mean
20. a tree in the way of a satellite can be a major buzzkill

and probably my favorite...Your homepage isnt at satelliteguys.us, its at satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion...those 2 extra clicks take too long :D

If you have anymore, throw them in

OMG Ice,
You described me exactly!!!! That's me - all the above. That is so funny because just the other day.....My neighbor came out and said "You working on that thing again".LOL

They just don't understand.

I am the same way with my 2005 GTO, I am always writing a new tune for the engine computer trying to get a little more out of it. Always swapping parts and porting heads and intakes.
So far I have squeezed 470Hp out of it.

I do my dishes the same way.

the ones I am laughing after reading them are

3 & 4..those are daily
7..true story. He wanted to watch Alaska vs. Wisconsin hockey. He couldnt get it but I did. We watched the game in his heated garage
8 too many times
10 true...deathly afraid of heights but will climb on the roof to swap a LNB
12 I remember that whole thing very well
13 Hispasat...need I say more??
18 Neighbor got a slimline put in and it took the guy 4 hours to do it. I had 2 dishes set up and tweaked long before that

We are a breed of our own I guess-LOL. My neighbors think I am crazy for having two big dishes in my yard.

The guy from the cable company working on the cable at my neighbor's house told me that my big dishes didn't work anymore:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• FTA'er is always looking to get the best, strongest, fastest and most accurate HH Motor.
  • FTA'er's dream receiver must have all the bills and whistles
  • One receiver is never enough
  • FTA'er gets excited when a new satellite is launched (i.e. more FTA channels )
  • FTA'er never complains about too many foreign channels.
  • FTA'er is actually more educated and culturally more diverse.
  • FTA'er loves the people of the world and appreciates their cultures.
  • When an FTA'er travels overseas, he always checks their satellite system to find out how many FTA channels available. (It takes 2 hrs to flip through the FTA channels in Europe - even if you spend only 5 seconds on each channel)

I am thinking about buying another (larger) house. I turned one down because the neighbor's property had huge maple trees that I would never see anything west of G23.

My dish would have to be on a 40' pole (not do-able for me).

4. having that channel in English makes that smile bigger
The Italian channels with the hot ladies last year definitely put a smile on my face , did I mention I don't know Italian :D

9. You go looking to buy a new house and a good southern view is a MUST
I'm always looking at LOS and I feel fortunate to live where I do.

13. You put up a dish to get a satellite your motorized doesn't get even though there are no channels on there you understand. Hey its more channels :)
You mean you don't understand BEISBOL :D

14. Having your favorite channel leave the air can bring tears to your eyes
Don't even want to think about it , that would be depressing.
16. When someone says its not possible, you prove them wrong
I've actually done that eyeballing other peoples LOS , they say they can't hit the satellite but I insist they can and soon after find out that they did.

Was out tweaking the dish farm today when my neighbor came out, saw what I was doing and said "you're working on that again???

This happens to me all the time :) The follow-up comment from the neighbor is usually "Wow, I'm glad I don't have to work on my dish (DirecTV Phase III) like that. The guy came out and got it perfect. Only took him a couple of hours!"

I just smile and say "Wow! Sounds like he's pretty good!" :D

Can we say apples to oranges? :)

I love telling folks that pay over a hundred bucks for cable every month how many free channels we can pick up without paying any subscription whatsoever. You should see the look on their faces as their jaws drop, especially after I explain that what we are doing is totally legal.

10. You're deathly afraid of heights yet you will climb on your roof to fix your system

i couldn't have said it better. lol

I had to explain #10 to my stepdad last nite. He couldn't understand why, even though I am deathly afraid of heights, that I will climb on my roof to tweak the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)