We had to Rescan,

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cleanerguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
In my area of NW PA we had a local move stations around.
So I am going to list a few problems and maybe someone can help.
Fist off, I did away with cable about a year ago, I am using an antenna, I do not have a problem with it.

#1.
I have a Pioneer Plasma 5010, (dam nice picture) The lower VHF in the area of (NBC) 12-1 12-2 12-3 12-4 have been breaking up bad to the point of no picture. Any channels above 20-1 are fine, even the local PBS channels
I am thinking it is the set's tuner this this is about 9 years old or so.
The same antenna feeds my 2 year old LG in the bedroom and it does not break up.
The antenna's cable feeds directly to the set.

#2.
My parents never had cable they use an outside antenna. All was fine until the rescan.
They get all the channels but 12-1 12-2 12-3 12-4 have picture but no sound or there might be sound for a couple seconds then done for minutes. The TV is a Panasonic Vierra.
The antenna's cable feeds directly to the set.

Thanks

More than likely it is a problem at the station, call them and speak to the chief engineer.

It must be a station problem,
I am in Erie PA, last night I did a channel search and still did not pick up the 12's
but I was getting 2 channels out of Toronto and they were clear and no breakups.
One of the stations was 5-1

Your problem is surely with your antenna. The fact that the LG gets signal and the Pioneer doesn't makes that pretty clear. You may be able to fix the problem with an amplifier or you may benefit from spending that money on a new full-range antenna depending on what you have and where it is mounted.

If your parents were getting something broadcast on RF12 before and they aren't now, then it is probably a station problem (or they reduced coverage).

In any case, we can be most helpful if you give us the station's callsign. Knowing the virtual channel really isn't particularly useful when crossed with a rather vague location. Don't make us guess that you're talking about WICU.

If I've guessed correctly, WICU hasn't changed much as a result of the repack. They were operating before on RF12. They may have turned down the power or shaped their signal leaving you with less to pick up.

Looking at the rabbitears.info technical recap, WICU is operating at a slightly lower power and a bit lower in elevation from a different location (Summit Township vs Pleasant Hill).

I had trouble a few months ago with two channels from Pittsburgh. They did the frequency change. I could no longer get them. Even messing with the rotor did no good. Well, just for the heck of it, I did another rescan last week. The channels are back. Can’t figure that one out.

I had trouble a few months ago with two channels from Pittsburgh. They did the frequency change. I could no longer get them. Even messing with the rotor did no good. Well, just for the heck of it, I did another rescan last week. The channels are back. Can’t figure that one out.
I think that some of these transitions are being made in stages so the jump from where they were to where they are ultimately going to land (either RF frequency-wise, geographically or both) may come in steps.

Reactions: Skytrooper
I’m guessing they must have cut power temporarily during the frequency change. The one station WTAE, Pittsburgh’s tower is pretty far away from me. And I believe they are still using the same transmission tower.

WICU has to be off the tower they are using over by rt 8 behind the landfill by the end of the year due to there lease is up, and that tower needs repairs they have applied for a STA license to move to the same tower on upper peach street as WSEE moved to but only at 2.7 KW. The only good thing that will work in there favor is the land elevation at the new location is much higher

Something must be up in that regards, simply because I had absolutely no trouble for as long as I have used this antenna.
I believe the reason my newer LG works with WICU is that it is a much newer tuner compared to the Pioneer Plasma.

In regards to my parents TV, she called me on Saturday to say that when they turned the set on Saturday morning they had sound.
That's when my set started this no picture mess.

It sounded like the antenna is just on the bitter edge of working for the Pioneer with WICU's new configuration. There are two ways to get a stronger signal out of the same antenna:
  1. repoint and/or raise the antenna
  2. use some manner of amplifier
WICU has some other license stuff going on and it may bring the signal back but it sounds like you could use some margin for bad conditions either way.

I agree with harshness. It's probably going to be the antenna needs to be adjusted, (higher, an amp if needed) and/or also keep in mind not all digital tv tuners are created equal. Of course if all else fails, it is important to look at once frequency changes occur, sometimes elevation or power changed from the station. For me, it can make or break the signal trying to be received. I'm fairly certain when 2 of my stations change to the low VHF spectrum, I'll be antenna shopping, as my current setup is hi-VHF, UHF. What works on paper doesn't always pan out IRL.

Sent from my LG-M322 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts