We Must Be Getting Close

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I currently have 2 Hopper3 receivers and a Joey3 receiver. I would consider adding a Joey4 if it would allow 4K HDR content.
I wonder whether a Joey4 can be used without installing a Hopper+ to allow viewing Satellite 4K HDR content.
Not at this time, a Hopper + is required to use the Joey 4 or WIreless Joey 4,

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not at this time, a Hopper + is required to use the Joey 4 or WIreless Joey 4,
I don't understand that.

As you said above, the H+ attaches to the H3 via USB, and from there the HDMI goes out to the TV. But a Joey is supposed to be remote from the Hopper. How can the Joey 4 require the H+ attached to H3 in some other room and with no access to it's HDMI output? The signal would have to come from the H+ back up the USB connection to the H3, and thereafter out the MoCA connection to the J4.

Can that be right?

I'm curious. Can you see any of the H+ apps from the J4? If not, I'm suspicious this is just a business rule with no technical justification.
Hard for me to say as I have had mine all hooked up since I got them.
You could experiment by unplugging the H+ and seeing what happens to the J4. ;) I predict it will work just fine.

I'm curious. Can you see any of the H+ apps from the J4? If not, I'm suspicious this is just a business rule with no technical justification.
I'm leaning this way as well. If you look at the specs of the devices on the first post of this thread, each Joey has more then enough horse power to run AndroidTV without relying on the H+, so it's probably just a policy to maintain consistency between all of the devices on a particular account. I would even bet the CPU/SoC contained in the H+ is the same as the Joey's, making it a glorified Joey4 itself that uses USB instead of LAN/MoCa for a connection to the Hopper network.

You could experiment by unplugging the H+ and seeing what happens to the J4. ;) I predict it will work just fine.

Each unit has its own apps on it.

If you unplug the Hopper Plus from the Hopper the Hopper 3 stops working and tells you to plug the Hopper Plus back in. :)

Each unit has its own apps on it.
I am guessing that means that there is no path for video to go from an H+ app to the Joey 4. Is that a correct interpretation?
If you unplug the Hopper Plus from the Hopper the Hopper 3 stops working and tells you to plug the Hopper Plus back in. :)
No way to dismiss that error message short of unplugging the H3? :crying

Last edited:
I realize that you need the new Joey4 to access all of the Google Android streamed content from the Hopper+. But I wonder if you can still use a purchased Joey3 in addition to the new Joey4 to access Satellite content from the Hopper3 or do all of the Joeys have to be replaced with Joey4 clients.

I currently have 2 Hopper3 receivers and a Joey3 receiver. I would consider adding a Joey4 if it would allow 4K HDR content.
I wonder whether a Joey4 can be used without installing a Hopper+ to allow viewing Satellite 4K HDR content.
I would assume it does or will since the Android Streaming is an add-on option.

EDIT: or not.....

Can you get a H+ for you H3, if you do not have any joeys or does it need the J4 to work? I have the H3 without any joeys.
I'm sure that when they are available you would be able to add a Hopper+ as a standalone. From what Scott has said, you have to have a Hopper + to get a Joey 4, not the other way around. If I have read correctly in past posts the Joey 4 simply adds Android to its usual prior Joey self and that is probably a function through the internet side in MoCa.

I have a question, maybe for Scott Greczkowski .

If the Hopper + connects to an existing Hopper 3 via USB and I already have both ports taken up

1) Dual OTA adapter
2) USB Hub with EHD's

How would we connect the Hopper + via USB without marring the esthetics by plugging into the front USB port? Would the Hopper + also work via the same USB hub already in use?

Also 2nd question.

I'm a little vertically challenged in my entertainment stack where I have the Hopper3 on top of my BluRay player. They are the same width so it looks very professional. If it's not a super secret, can you share the dimensions of the Hopper +? I only have about an 1.5 inches to the top and would like to keep it for cooling circulation. Or is the Hopper + of a form factor that just can be installed behind the existing equipment like the OTA adapter?

Reactions: charlesrshell
If the Hopper + connects to an existing Hopper 3 via USB and I already have both ports taken up

1) Dual OTA adapter
2) USB Hub with EHD's
I don't know the answer to that question. But I do have a Seagate 6TB disk with integrated USB3 hub and my OTA dongle works fine plugged into that.

I have a question, maybe for Scott Greczkowski .

1) Dual OTA adapter
2) USB Hub with EHD's

How would we connect the Hopper + via USB without marring the esthetics by plugging into the front USB port? Would the Hopper + also work via the same USB hub already in use?

Also 2nd question.

I'm a little vertically challenged in my entertainment stack where I have the Hopper3 on top of my BluRay player. They are the same width so it looks very professional. If it's not a super secret, can you share the dimensions of the Hopper +? I only have about an 1.5 inches to the top and would like to keep it for cooling circulation. Or is the Hopper + of a form factor that just can be installed behind the existing equipment like the OTA adapter?
Plug your OTA adapter into the USB hub along with your EHDs, it works.

I don't know the answer to that question. But I do have a Seagate 6TB disk with integrated USB3 hub and my OTA dongle works fine plugged into that.

Is your USB3.0 hub powered? I am using all 3 USB ports with 2 external drives and OTA adapter. So I will need to add a USB3.0 hub.
Scott answered my question. I will need to use a powered USB3.0 hub.

Is your USB3.0 hub powered? I am using all 3 USB ports with 2 external drives and OTA adapter. So I will need to add a USB3.0 hub.
To answer the question, I believe the hub in the Seagate enclosure is powered. I did not test that, though.
Scott answered my question. I will need to use a powered USB3.0 hub.
That is probably best considering the OTA dongle is bus-powered. But if everything else connected to the hub, like the EHDs, are all self-powered, I might expect an unpowered hub to work as well. The H+ comes with a power supply, does it not?
There's another USB port on the front of H3 as I recall.
He doesn't want to use it. He's concerned about appearances. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)